back to article Google Reader burrows deeper into your web-addled brain

Mountain View has tweaked Google Reader to help tailor content on its Web 2.0 feed more neatly, by tracking a user's online habits. The search giant has added a new section called “Popular items” to Google Reader. The feature uses algorithms to track well-liked images, videos and pages from the internet. It then orders the items …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Big Brother

Jam lyrics

The public wants what the public gets...

Joke

recursive fail

because I got here from Reader, if I choose to 'like' this feed, will it push article about improvements to Reader to the top?

Thumb Up

Meme detector?

"Now you don't have to be embarrassed about missing that hilarious video everyone is talking about"

So this is a way of finding out what the latest plebian internet meme is? Nice feature, I'll be sure to avoid anything that it recommends for the sake of my sanity! :)

Big Brother

Yeah.

A sort of GoogleForm.

Sheeple?

Yay! Now we don't even have to go through the hassle of waiting for the inevitable "watch this" email from every single one of our online aquaintances. We can now follow the groupthink in realtime.

WTF?

Re: "Popular items"

I dropped my cable so that I wouldn't have to constantly be reminded of just how low-brow a 100-point IQ really is. (America's Funniest Home Videos fans, I'm looking at you)

Now your telling me that Google is going to be upping the ranking of LOLCats?

Oh please do fuck off....

What makes it popular?

So now Google gets to decide what is popular and what isn't. Surely it's only popular and frequently downloaded because Google said it is and puts it at the top of its list. Thus things which are slightly higher up the rankings get artificially inflated and the rest get artificially pushed to the bottom.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums