back to article Internet Archive uncloaks open ebook dream machine

The Internet Archive and various like-minded partners have launched an open architecture for selling and lending digital books online, an effort to consolidate the fledgling market for net texts - and give Google a little food for thought. Dubbed BookServer, the open platform is meant to provide a standard means for booksellers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Headmaster

Control? What control?

If I have to buy a book I would rather get a paper based one. Then *I* decide what I can and can't do with it. If I want to give it to a friend I can and if I want to sell it I can. I have absolutely no trust in either the good faith of e-book sellers or the "cloud". I may be thought old fashioned but when I pay for something I like to think that I should be the one in charge.

Catalog address for Stanza etc

it seems the address to add to Stanza is http://bookserver.archive.org/catalog/index.xml (if this information was in the article, I was too dumb to notice it)

Rent to eLose

Buy the timeless. Borrow the useful. Renting is for crappy American style 'entertainment' - movies and diet/NYT best-seller books - where automatically losing it is beneficial.

Anonymous Coward

"Mountain View is pushing ahead..."

You know, it seems awfully fortunate that tech giants start up in towns with nice-sounding names. Redmond, Mountain View...

Just once, I'd like to see a huge tech company originate in Dungberry Hole, or something, so synonym-seeking journalists would be forced to refer to them thus forever after.

"Dungberry Hole says Windows 7 release not later Q4 2009." It'd be fantastic!

Unhappy

Not ready to compete

How do they expect to be in this niche with such a lame UI? Seriously? Is it me? I didn't see beta or POC...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums