Back in June, InfiniBand and now 10 Gigabit Ethernet switch maker Voltaire announced its first 10 GE switch, the Vantage 8500. Today, Voltaire begins shipping the box, and it has inked a reseller agreement with server maker IBM to help peddle it. Specifically, the reseller agreement will see Big Blue put the Vantage 8500 switch …
Hardly good specs.
"Vantage 8500 has a latency of under 1 microsecond, and it's very power efficient in that it can deliver a 10 GE port that consumes under 10 watts of juice."
If I produced something in my military and aerospace hardened (i.e. work in a tank in a Siberian winter and in a helicopter in Iraq) world that had latency as much as that, or used more than 6 watts per 10G port I would get the sack!
When we talked to Voltaire about their QDR grid director switches (Infiniband), they made the comment that port to port latency can be as low as 60 to 70ns.
Now even if that is only under the best of situations/environments/configurations, and you average around 140ns.. why on sweet mother blue earth would you even want to bother with GigE - that does not provide the same scalability and does not provide the same performance?
GigE and HPC? The two terms just do not seem to be good friends at all.
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking Crescent Bay prototype
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln
- Google+ GOING, GOING ... ? Newbie Gmailers no longer forced into mandatory ID slurp