back to article UK fatties demand 'hate crime' status for lardo-baiting

Woebegone British swingbellies have launched a campaign against anti-lardo "hate crime" and discrimination, even as a survey of possibly gutbusting Germans has revealed that being "overweight" is actually not a health hazard. The British flab-lib campaign is reported today by the BBC, which quotes Kathryn Szrodecki - described …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Oh, the LAW.

@ "Someone being beaten up should be a crime", commented Szrodecki.

I entirely agree, you should be punished for being beaten up - good line there that person.

More realistically, beating someone up IS a crime (as far as i'm aware) regardless of the reason for beating said person (unless its self defence or some such thing).

2. It wasnt me

What a load of ....

Reallly, go on a diet. People cant change their sexuality or skin colour or religious heritage. Or even being ginger.

You, however, can quite happily stop stuffing your face full of cake if the taunts are getting too much.

I dont like getting up in the morning, but Im not calling for legal protection to protect my rights to being downright lazy.

Stop stuffing your face and do some exercise.

Lard-arse. (Sue me).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Someone being beaten up should be a crime,"...

Er it is, it's called assault.

@ LP surely being 6'3" would pretty much preclude you from being a cox, I think even Willie Carson's too big to be a cox. anyway for the ladies surely it should be the coxless 4s anyway.

4. Jamie Kitson

Doctor Doctor

The bit about the doctor not being allowed to mention it is ridiculous, being over weight is bad for your health (ie expensive for the NHS and the rest of us) and is something you can change. I wouldn't have thought there was much argument over that. It'll be smokers next :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's an original and revolutionary idea ...

How about getting rid of all the "special legal protection" for particular minorities and just make it illegal to beat people up? Like sort of "human rights" instead of rights just for particular groups?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woot!

"Marsha Coupe"! Sounds more like "Marsha Hatchback" to me!

AC because I've read "Consider Phlebas" and know what I might be in for.

7. Donal Gavin
    Unhappy

disappointed

Im not over weight but i did find the use of language in the article higly offensive. I expected this from the Sun but the register?

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Really?

'"Someone being beaten up should be a crime," commented Szrodecki.'

It's currently legal to beat the crap out of fat bastards? Who knew?

9. Steve 26
    Stop

Increased Mortality

It always makes me laugh to see 'increased mortality rates'. It's 100% for everyone. Are obese people going to die twice?

10. May Contain Nuts
    Go

You're a (fat) plonker...

"I have been discriminated against - I am a YMCA qualified fitness instructor, but I have gone for jobs and been laughed off the premises,"

Just like I, as a web developer, would be laughed out of pitches if I sent potential customers a Front Page Express page as my portfolio...

I have no problem with half the population being fat and unhealthy - it'll make it easier for the rest of us to hunt and eat them when the world descends into a post-apocolyptic Mad Max-style place after the swine-flu/credit crunch/meteor/Windows 7 armageddon hits.

11. Tom 7

What a bunch of sad wimps we're turning into

As a 20 stone tub of lard I have no problems with 'special' people trying to raise their social status above slug level by desperate attempt at humour.

What I do object to is censorious muppets who should be sat on by people like me.

Oh and those prats who can only do simple maths making up stupid rules like BMI - I was once 3 stone heavier than this and had no fat on me at all, now my body is constructed almost completely of fat my BMI is lower and I'm not quite morbidly obese as I was when I could run 60 miles in a week without batting an eyelid.

12. Duncan Hothersall
    Alert

F.L.A.B.

"We're not 'flabbies', we're not 'gut buckets', we're not 'pork features', we're not! And, down these narrow streets a man must go - we're stout, and we're proud!"

13. A nony Mouse Cow Herder
    IT Angle

IT Angle

Where is the IT Angle ? or is some Fatty promoting Boffin who works in Faculty of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Natural Sciences justify an IT Angle Now a days.

I think this is just all just load of fatties self promotion and postive spin, they obviously just want to have there Cake and Eat it.

14. Ben Rosenthal

wait, what?

"Someone being beaten up should be a crime," commented Szrodecki.

15. Asylum Sam

" no special legal protection for fatties "

"In the UK there is currently no special legal protection for fatties as there is for those persecuted on religious, ethnic or sexual grounds."

No, and nor should there be. Indeed there should be no 'special' law to protect race or religion either. Why is attacking someone on their race somehow worse than the way they look? Or their sex?

The whole issue of (especially Race and Religion) persecution, so called hate crimes is hugely blown out of all proportion. It simply boils down to one thing; Some people like to hurt others, period, and so look around for a target. Be it a nasty comment from some white shirt beer monster at the long haired student in a town center pub, or three black/white 'yoofs' attacking one white/black person in an underpass.

Animal minds will always have an undercurrent of nastiness, and many will look around for an individual or group to target.

So scrap the racism laws, scrap the pro-handicapped laws, and boil the whole lot down to 'be nice, or be punished' laws. I don't see why calling someone a (insert most villified racial slur you know here) should attract any more of a punishment than attacking someone for their weight, and vice versa, attacking someone because of their weight should bring the same punishment as racism.

If you attack someone, that in itself should be reason enough to have to account for your actions.

Sam

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I'm morbidly obese and guess what?

We all die. Fortuneately, I'm enjoying life, eating and drinking what I like, doing what I like. Unlike those poor straving thino's who I'll crush underfoot as I rush (sic.) to the burger stand :-)

17. Jamie Kitson

Sorry

Should have read the fucking article *before* commenting.

18. SuperTim

Interesting turns of phrase

by someone in the so called overweight category. Seems that you are more than happy to bait fatties yourself.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Lardos? Porkers?

Are you a journalist or a troll?

20. Andrew Moore

Oh well...

As long as there isn't a law banning us from chucking harpoons at them...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pastafarianism

"no special legal protection for fatties as there is for those persecuted on religious, ethnic or sexual grounds"

So all they need to do is claim that their weight is a sign of their religion...

22. Crazy Goat Man Al

And i think you'll find it is

"Someone being beaten up should be a crime," commented Szrodecki

No need for extra ledgislation and laws and red tape. It is a crime, stop eating the doughnuts and walk down to the police station and report it. Standard punishment these days due to the over crowded jails and liberals is a free playstation in the hope the offenders will be to busy play gta to bother committing crimes in the real world

23. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!

Huh?? Y'say wha?

***"Someone being beaten up should be a crime," commented Szrodecki.***

Erm... it is a crime to beat someone up, isn't it?

24. Hermes Conran

Swingbelly! love it!!

BMI 25! I do love a pie and pint!

25. Matt Newton
    Thumb Down

Punched? Beer thrown?

Hounded out of premises?

Sounds like it's her attitude or something else rather than her being a fatass.

26. Knowledge
    FAIL

Hang on a minute...

What, like 'assult' or something?

27. Kieran 2

Christ on a bike

"someone being beaten up should be a crime" - it is.

I used to weigh 27stone and I didn't get any of the shit these people are whinging about.

And a fat fitness instructor is clearly going to find little enthusiasm when most of their customers are looking to lose weight and need someone who can demonstrate they know how to keep fit!

28. The Original Ash
    Coat

Surely, that's...

full-figured disclosure.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a wonderful turn of phrase

"In the UK there is currently no special legal protection for fatties "

Brightened up my afternoon.

30. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Tricky, who to slate and who not to slate

The BBC carries this quote "Not everyone has a free choice about controlling their weight."

So what about the ones who do have a free choice about controlling their weight but are too bloody lazy to do anything about it.

If the so called fatties are troubled by the victimisation they receive and want legal protection, I want the same for smokers, the amount of people that make comments about the "dirty habit" offends me greatly it's not like I have a choice.

(probably over did the exaggeration, but hopefully you get my point)

31. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

No, I don't think so.

Can't see any justification for these lard-asses being given any special treatment.

In my opinion, calling someone "lard-ass", "fatty" or "porker" is a reasonable and objective call based on the aforementioned "lard-ass" being unable to keep their feet out of the cake shop. Oh... sorry, silly me. I forgot that obesity is genetic isn't it? Rather than a lack of responsibility of "barrel-boy" to eat sensibly and exercise regularly.

While I am sorry that this person may have has some maltreatment by other members of the public, they have to realise that this also happens to other stereotyped persons... such as "beanpoles", "gingers", "Northeners", and the Welsh.

Get over it. Get off of the sofa. Eat better.

32. Atrox666
    Troll

They should have their own complaint office

..but they should make the door really really narrow.

33. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

a title...

It is you idiot. They don't need any more protection than is already provided by existing law. Stop calling the PC WAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE and get on a fucking treadmill.

Anon because they might sit on me.

34. rhydy
    Paris Hilton

thesaurus

You were doing so well until the last but one. You guys almost had a list of unique terms but dropped the ball near the end..doh

swingbellies, lardos, long-belted, rotund, globular, porker, lardos, fatties.

35. Daedalus
    Headmaster

We have all been here before

Anybody remember the "Not the Nine O'Clock News" sketch about fat-lib ? This report might have been taken straight from it.

36. M7S

"Someone being beaten up should be a crime"

...commented Szrodecki

It is. Having it categorised due to the type of victim makes them just that. Full time victims.

Big Mistake.

Huge.

37. Chris Hedley Silver badge
    FAIL

A lardy arse speaks

Speaking as a lard-arse who doesn't really appreciate the attention of the mouth-breathers, I'm still utterly against this sort of proposed legislation: in fact I'd rather see existing "hate crime" repealed and instead rely on laws to tackle actual crimes, y'know, assault and stuff. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather know up-front that some gobshite's a halfwit than have them silenced only to find out later. And if someone wants to dribble about my circumference, so what? I can lose weight, but there's bugger all they can do about being an idiot.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hmmm

While physical abuse and hurtful insults are never justified, a part of me still thinks "well if it's upsetting you that much, you could always just go for a run every now and then, or maybe opt for a salad instead of a big mac sometimes".

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

good 'ol crappy BMI

i recall in my youth with a 26" waist being listed as obese by the stupid BMI.

40. Steve 138
    Happy

Made my day :-)

HAHA, this is sooo funny!!! Both the article and the comments.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

They just need...

to grow thicker skins...

Oh, hang on a minute...

42. Cazzo Enorme

BMI

The BMI is a poor guide to obesity, but guess what? It's only one of a number of things a doctor will take into account before declaring you a salad dodger. For instance, my BMI alone would suggest I'm a fat git. However, I'm 6'5" tall (off of most doctors BMI charts), and a body builder, so all that extra weight is mostly muscle. The typical test done in addition to calculating your BMI is a caliper test - immortalised by a breakfast cereal advert which asked whether "you can pinch more than an inch".

43. Matthew 3

Reduce your height!

This solution makes someone go from being lardy to 'normal' (because the BMI is so cretinously biased towards short-arses).

And the full disclosure says you're 6'3"? Pah! I'm 6' 6": that's a proper height!

Even my doctor agrees that at my 'ideal' BMI I'd snap in half in a high wind.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hehe, lots of laughs

One of the primary differentiators between a human and an animal is the power of will. Not intelligence, not social skills, but one simple factor - willpower. A human is capable of resisting temptation for a future gain. A human is capable of withstanding pain until it is payback time.

Very few animals can do that and the few that can can do so only for a very short amount of time.

And with all due respect someone who is asking for more human rights while failing one of the basic tests for being a human should go f*** off.

Oh, by the way, I will not pass an obese person on an interview. He has failed the interview before he has even started. If he has no willpower to keep himself in shape, I do not see how to expect willpower for him to stay focused on a project.

Disclaimer - I used to be nearly 16 stone while being 6 feet 1". I used to have to downshift to the lowest gears or outright get off on a bike to cross a bridge. Used to. Not any more. While by the BMI measure I am still overweight I have no problem running for miles or playing basketball for a couple of hours. So to all "rights campaigners" - unless you have a medical condition preventing you from doing so f*** off and go on a diet.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Oy vey

You nearly made it a whole article without causing giggling, you bastard. The footnote was priceless. Bravo!

So the ladies rowing team said no to huge cox then? I'm sorry, but you set that up on purpose, innit?

Anyway, "chuh" and so forth. It's madness gone politically etc. etc.

<- 6 ft 3 and about 13 stone (guessing wildly). Laying off the chocolate to avoid piling on the pounds with a sedentary office job

46. Craig 28

@Asylum Sam

Most of the discrimination laws aren't actually about violence pratface. If you scrap all the laws at present then how do you judge where discrimination stops? Intelligence? Qualifications? Imagine if the law was such that you can't discriminate against people because of their lack of qualifications?

Equally what if a shop suddenly decided to stop serving black/blind/gay people?

Most assault laws *are* neutral in terms of discrimination. That said there is the small issue of how seriously the police would take it (our local coppers are a joke even about car or house vandalism), and so on. Punching someone might not get their attention, since a single punch isn't what you could call "beating someone up". Even a couple of punches might not get them off their arses, fat or otherwise.

I'm visually impaired, a lot of the laws regarding the visually impaired are for obtaining jobs or services. For example web sites that sell things are required to be "not unreasonably difficult" for us. What if Tesco suddenly decided to redesign and leave us out? We find shopping in physical shops hard because we can't browse the shelves, and even with assistance (which without discrimination laws would not be obliged to be provided) you have to rely on them and trust that they'll get things right. If a blind person had a nut allergy and the person assisting them failed to properly check the items for nut content then this could be very serious indeed, and that is just an extreme example.

There are any number of ways this can go wrong, very wrong.

47. Tony Humphreys
    Thumb Up

I never knew that...

So its actually legal to put up a No Fat Chicks sign.

Get the paint!

48. the_madman
    Happy

Best bit of the article

Full disclosure: The author is 6'3" and 16 stone, ie one of the overweight. He feels able to survive in today's hefty-hating climate without special legal protection, however; though the memory of being refused a place as cox of a ladies' rowing team many years ago still stings.

So he's being discriminated against because he's fat AND male! Oh, the outrage! XD

49. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Required...

"Someone being beaten up should be a crime" - Erm it is a crime? Assault, Battery, ABH, GBH? Depending on severity.

Do 'fat' people constitute a minority group? I don't get why they need extra protection, aren't we all equal in the eyes of the law? I could use the cliche of ginger people...

50. daily
    Thumb Up

A few good ones...

She so fat her baby picture was an aerial shot.

She so fat the back of her neck look like a pack of hot dogs.

She so fat she has to iron her pants on the driveway.

She so fat she was baptized at Sea World.

She so fat she stepped on a pound and made 20 shilling.

She so fat her shadow weighs 14 stone.

She so fat she walked in front of the TV and we missed 5 minutes of Benny Hill

She so fat, at the end of the day, her high heels are flats.

She so fat she jump up in the air, and got stuck.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like