back to article Universal Remote Control R50

The R50, from US brand Universal Remote Control (URC), is a chunky A/V entertainment integrator that delivers a decent amount of functionality whilst being fairly easy to set up. While aimed more at the family market – real tech-heads might want a little more programmability and customisation – the product makes a decent fist of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

£125????

That seems quite a lot of dosh for a remote control. My PVR cost less than that, and that already has a remote...

Thumb Up

Logitech Harmony 525

Had a Logitech Harmony 525 for a while now. It's not got the full colour display but it does only cost £50 from Amazon and cheaper if you hunt around. Fantastic bit of kit. Review here http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/30/review_universal_remote_controls/page4.html

Thumb Down

Not suitable for the UK market...

"...a little heavy on North American options..." - where's the red/yellow/green/blue buttons that digital and Sky TV users are used to?

Bronze badge

Controlling multiple devices?

I admit I only skimmed through the review but there doesn't seem to be any mention of the ability to control multiple devices at the same time.

e.g. I need mute, volume and any sound controls to control my surround amp, I need any picture controls (brightness, aspect etc.) to control my TV and I need the channel and menu controls to control the Sky box and I want all this to happen without changing modes.

My Logitech remote does all these things and it doesn't cost £125

No coloured buttons?

Makes it somewhat difficult to use. That's often a problem with remotes from US companies as they don't use them over there.

It also looks pretty horrible, compared to for example the harmony 885 (available for under £100) - although it has the advantage of not being bound to logitech's crappy software.

Anonymous Coward

Logitech Harmony

I'm another who wouldn't do without the Logitech harmony, although the 'sofa mode' would be useful!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums