Feeds

back to article BOFH: Baitin' switch

"OK, let's just take a look then," our recent office addition says, clicking on the network management tool. "Ah, there's your problem - your port is only set to 10 megabits per second, half duplex. If I just change that to auto you'll notice a short outage while your machine's network interface readjusts itself to 100 meg …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

Quality

Something wrong with ebay?

Heart

classic!

'Rare as rocking horse shit'.

Simon, you owe me a new keyboard, but I have a signed blank expense claims form to take you to the pub with!

Thumb Up

Brilliant

Back on top form

Bugger the switches - use servers

A rackfull of Proliant servers falling on you will do a lot more damage. Then you can buy the latest quad-core jobbies to replace them.

Where's my screwdriver?

Thumb Up

Best one in ages

LOL-funny all the way :)

Silver badge

Free Radical Regicide ...... Right Hornery Shenanigans

BOFH for Virtual EU Presidency Detail. ....... Community Service. Who needs then a Dodgy Crooner and Hopeless Mate on a Bridge Pontificating at the Helm.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Excellent

Top notch!

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Oh crud...

And I was just considering applying for temp work in IT support...

Thumb Up

That's more like it .

nothing fancy just plain simple BOFH.

neb
Happy

once upon a time...

...i was that temp and its all coming back to me

my lawyer will be in touch with the PTSD claim shortly!

Thumb Up

Vintage BOFH

Great to see BOFH back to his roots of bonding user self-destruction to system upgrades. If only I could get better toys by the shameless elimination of users.

well played

To the very end.

Lu
Thumb Up

Awesome!!!

see title

Thumb Up

BofH: Final Destination

Right from the first paragraph I knew poor, dead Graham would end the tale as a red, sticky, still-twitching pile of dismembered body parts, barely identifiable as human amid the metallic carnage.

The joy was in the journey.

Sorry, I haven't put anybody off their lunch, have I?

Thumb Up

Best one in a long time

If it gives me evil ideas for work, it's a good BOFH :)

K
Bronze badge
WTF?

BoFH rides again!

only 1 word needed - AWESOME!

Thumb Up

Old times

That is traditional BOFH

Good one!

Simon, you are my hero!

Go

Let's hope poor Graham survives ...

... after all, the lad caught on pretty quick. And he knows his stuff. Now, if he's sent back to the temp agency with a "Well Done!", when he's out of traction he might be hired into other departments --- said departments none the wiser that a spy is in their midst. As a temp he'll doubtless see the insides of IT departments at other firms ... the tentacles of the BOFH reaching far and deep.

Thumb Up

Nice

I was just looking for a new way to get rid of a bean counter. I hadn't thought of encouraging them to investigate the hardware racks by fiddling with connectivity. It'll work though - they always yell when the pron^H^H^H^H online data feed slows down.

<reaches for screwdriver>

Indeed it is traditional BOFH

None of this implied impending violence we've had so much of at the end of the recent BOFHs, in this one someone actually *gets* it. The combination with the system upgrades is just the icing on the cake.

The strength of BOFH for me is where you know that violence *has* happened, not that it is *probably going to* happen.

Badgers

Blood sports

Graham was given a sporting chance. They told him what was going on and he still put his head in that cupboard - evolution in action.

Thumb Up

Love it!

Fan-bloody-tastic! Looks like the prospect of beer tokens paid off ;)

Happy

Oldskool

And loving it :)

Thumb Up

@Duckorange

> Sorry, I haven't put anybody off their lunch, have I?

Nah. Anyone who is eating lunch while reading BOFH already knows what they're up for.

But I have to confess. "Two in one day" - I'd be satisfied with two in one fortnight - new episodes, that is. This is the correct standard, though!

Megaphone

Oh yah!

Ah the BOFH is back in classic form. No months long wait either. My week has been concluding an up note.

Pint

Well Done!

Time for your brew now.

Wonderful!

Poor Graham... he was easy to spot as the "red shirts" in Star Trek.

BNC FTW!!!

Thumb Up

The real BOFH has returned!

Welcome back!

Coat

An argument against net neutrality.

I hate to say it, but here's a good argument against net neutrality.

For P2P, VOIP and (maybe sometime later) video, fast interconnect speeds are useful - but if everything else goes faster too. it's just another way for the lusers to f**k things up faster than they would otherwise.

Pint

Graham given a sporting chance?

Graham was given more than a sporting chance - he was given the whole story! Normal trainees don't get anything like that. I was almost expecting him to join the team for a moment there...

Pint

BNC, the good ole days

Ah, I got all misty-eyed and teary at the mention of coax; back in the day I had a whole collection of terminators, including one beauty with a momentary-disconnect switch in the end of it.

Endless hours of fun making segments suddenly vanish!

Excellent

Shove in the BOFH teaching students 'rm' and you have the ultimate old school. Truly excellent stuff; the oldest is the funniest. And the messiest.

Pirate

Movers to replace

"Now we’ve done what we could about this,” I add. “My assistant here managed to back a van over a couple of boxes of them during the building move - which was quite tricky as they were being carried by the movers at the time - but we have stacks of them to replace"

At first, I understood that the movers, not the switches, were the ones with stacks of them to replace. How cruelly funny.

Anonymous Coward

for a short time...

I thought perhaps the PFY was getting ready to be replaced.

Glad to see hes not. (But should be)

Anonymous Coward

Worth waiting for...

Just make sure the next one comes out, on time, next FridAaaaaaarrrgghhhhh

Pity...

... potentially bright young lad I thought.

C'est la vie (or should that be c'est la mort.)

Bronze badge

Teaching rm?

You mean rm that is short for readmail?

Troll

@Mycho

Of course it is.

... and xmail is short for ex-mail ...

Thumb Up

lol wut

nobody mentioned a succesful implementation of cascading switches yet?

Simon for president :-)

Pint

Bravo!

The perfect ending to the week. Thanks SImon!

This topic is closed for new posts.