Feeds

back to article EU fires 12 million pages at Google Books

The European Union has delivered a killer blow to Google's Book scanning powergrab by dumping two million pages of historic Euro documents onto the web. Brussels has long been irked by Google's effort to scan the world's stock of the printer word, egged on sceptics like Angela Merkel. And the French. It has thrown its backing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Could be worse

If the EU had wanted to be really, really nasty they could have given it all to Google instead.

Er

So, to fight the monolith of Google, the EU dropped a gigaton of bureaucraspeak on the Web?

Yeah, that should do it. Right.

Thumb Up

It's for Google Translate

This mass of documents in 23 languages will greatly improve the accuracy of Google Translate, which is based on statistical models of language constructed from similar documents in multiple languages.

Gold badge

Storage management....

...is king at the moment and it's terribly important to ensure that the storage you purchase is fitted to the level of demand for the data you store on it, which raises a question.

Where the hell are they expecting to find enough shonky old 10 Meg MFM disks to put that little lot on?

FAIL

Zzzzzzz

Sounds fascin....... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Anonymous Coward

Get me a proof-reader

Stat!

Coat

Nice weather for insomniacs

Anyone got the link to this 'treasure trove' in case I need something to help me sleep?

This topic is closed for new posts.