back to article NASA moon-bomb probe strikes rich seam of fruitcake

Those readers who've been following NASA's LCROSS lunar pole-prang mission, which saw a brace of spacecraft crash into the Moon's south pole earlier today, will be aware that the effort wasn't popular in all quarters. In particular the self-styled "Chicago Surrealist Movement", claiming to speak for "surrealists, lunatics, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alien

As a Polar Bear

... I feel furry...

Twits

I liked the tweet from @TheActualMoon

"Fucking OUCH!"

http://twitter.com/TheActualMoon/status/4732484505

Silver badge

good to know

That all the time, money and effort educating the western world in the sciences hasn't been entirely wasted.

Bronze badge

well...

You don't think they might be just pulling your leg?

Coat

Space 1999

This is exactly like the plot of Space 1999.

Except it will be ten year's later...

And it won't be a nuclear blast that will knock the moon out of orbit, but an experimental NASA-sponsored mass driver being used to search for water...

And there is no space station on the moon...

Or Flares...

And the moon will not be knocked out of its orbit.

Other than that... this is /exactly/ like the plot of Space 1999.

"I know, I know - back to the seventies I go."

WTF?

Wow

The depth of human stupidity never ceases to amaze me, just when you think you've met the stupidest person alive another pops up to claim the crown.

Thumb Down

Grammar

"Think of the planets in terms of forming a sentence. The Earth is a noun. The moon is a verb."

Since parsing is not taught any more in school, we might as well just give up now...

Anonymous Coward

"Think of the planets in terms of forming a sentence."

The moon's a planet? First Pluto, then this!

WTF?

I'd better check the impact location!

If it is anwhere near my acre of the moon will NASA be paying for the damage to my prime real estate?

Flame

"blasting the moon could send it out of orbit"

No it can't, that was a scifi from the '70s called Space 1999, not reality, you drooling retard.

Similarly, kicking Mount Everest with your foot *might* destroy it, in some kind of bizarre messed-up theory, but I don't think the risk is realistic enough to give you the right to demand nobody sets foot on a mountain ever again just because you're a scared moron.

Stop watching so much TV and fuck off and get yourself a basic science education. Then you won't have to live your life in utter moronic quivering cowardice of completely impossible things that will never happen.

Megaphone

Verb (imperative): Study

Noun: Physics

Silver badge
Coat

The moon is a verb

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=51795&dict=CALD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooning

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moon

Yes, it is. ......er.....I'll get my coat....

It's called a newm, nemon, pneumo, nmem, memory aid.

My Very Easy Method: Just Set Up Nine Planets.

Coat

Werewolves

"There are members of the concerned general public who are not werewolves, pagans or anarcho-primitives?"

If the K-Mart Halloween section with the little animatronic props is any indication, it's not normal werewolves we need to be concerned about, but -deluxe- werewolves, which come with a pre-ripped flannel shirt.

You heard it here first.

Bronze badge
Coat

well part right...

To moon is a verb.

.\fetch coat|taxi

Does that mean...

"Think of the planets in terms of forming a sentence. The Earth is a noun. The moon is a verb."

Does that make the variety of objects that hit the moon adverbs?

Alien

You sent an explosive to the moon. Excellent!

We, your new insect overlords, are pleased to see that you (our genetically created super war-monkey race that we have been breeding for millennia) are finally ready to help us fight our interplanetary war. Your puny life's purpose shall finally be revealed! Bu-wa-ha-ha-ha!

Anonymous Coward

What's the square root of -100?

It never ceases to amaze me how many morons (used literally and correctly) are out there.

Just lol

It's lucky that Armstrong et al launching back to earth didn't knock the moon out of orbit, given how little inertia it obviously has...

Unhappy

Those letters...

The best argument against universal suffrage seen to date.

WTF?

MOON SHOT!!

Whoopy for NASA. What if there chosen impact area is a natural fault of the planet and it has a very different outcome than they anticipate? I would like to her them say "OOOPS!!

Do they really know what the long term effects will be? Doubtful. Maybe a little over zealous.

Bill C.

For some ignorance is bliss??

I can not believe the ignorance of some of these people...before they make themselves look so stupid you would think they would gather some facts first. Or at the very minimum attend a 6th grade science class.

I am shocked to know our tax dollars are spent on such people!!!!

FRUITCAKE parade

Criticism and humor designed to ridicule and belittle people with honest fears or beliefs is a tactic often used by authoritarian regimes to create fear of disclosure which leads to what social psychologist have dubbed “a spiral of silence,” i.e., a fear to say anything unpopular or illegal, lest they be reported to the authorities as being “anti-government”, or just plain “insane.” Your blog is neither cynical nor humorous, but an attempt to differentiate between "correct " and "incorrect" thinking . Your tactics instill an implicit fear that "incorrect thinkers" will be labeled a “fruit cake”, thus chilling people into simply saying nothing. You accuse those of us that are opposed to using weapons of mass destruction on an important and interactive natural satellite as being "fruitcakes" or "lunatics". You can call it a “probe”, or a “kinetic energy device”, or whatever euphemism you like, but I believe most people would agree that creating a five mile crater while awaiting a 6-12 mile plume off the lunar surface is a WMD. Most people who expressed concerns asked the fundamental question, “by what authority does the United States imagine it can unilaterally use such measures against a target that is shared by the entire world? “ Does that make them a "fruitcake"? The major media release only hours before this act contributed to the legitimate concern and anger of many citizens here and abroad without a chance for discussion. The effect? Once again, we display to the rest of our planet the “in your face” policy of doing whatever and whenever we want, regardless of the wishes of others. I believe it would be a mistake to bank on the political or social apathy you and people like you think exists in this country. Perhaps there are those that even congratulate your effort to ridicule “the long gaggle of “fruitcakes” opposed to this destructive act. History, however, has demonstrated that what you have actually done has effectively radicalized that segment of the population that may well have “non-normative” beliefs about “bombing the moon”. You have also converted some who “previously sat on the fence “and are now more fearful of their government and will now be more vigilant of NASA projects. Moreover, your ridicule may translate to those environmentally conscious, or perhaps those who have religious beliefs such as those of Native Americans, that they are also “fruitcakes”, but then, that is the consequence of ignorance.

Paris Hilton

@disgruntled yank

Yeah, just the wrong one and in the wrong way.

She could probably show them how to do it properly.

Oh rather. This is a big moon and if you look carefully you can see uranus.

Thumb Up

Re: What's the square root of -100

10i

or 10j if you are an engineer for whom the use of i is highly confusing.

Hope that helps,

A concerned mathematician.

@Wolf207

Get your facts straight and maybe you wouldn't be freaked out by such an event. They are not creating a 5 mile crater, the energy needed to do that would be enormous. They are crashing the spent stage into an existing crater. That will create something like a 20 meter crater within a crater. This occurs naturally all the time, the moon is constantly hit by various objects going at much higher velocity than this piddly thing that NASA is crashing into the moon.

PRL

Re: What's the square root of -100?

±10i (where i² is defined as -1)

Silver badge
FAIL

honest fears or beliefs

Have any of them looked at the moon? It's covered in craters, the craters have craters. You can see them from earth without a telescope. It's been hit a million times by stuff WAY bigger then the tin can NASA dropped on it.

But maybe there is a plan here by the PTB... Divert all the morons from noticing that there are real problems (could also explain fox news) that people should be looking at.

FAIL

@FRUITCAKE parade

where the hell did you get that 5 miles diameter crater?

from the NASA website:

"The impact will excavate a crater about 1/3 of a football field wide and about the depth of the deep end of a swimming pool."

FAIL

@ Wolf207

Muppet.

You clearly failed science at a very young age didn't you? This device will generate an energy impact of about 1.5 tonnes of TNT. Certainly nothing that qualifies as a WMD. The small nukes used in WW2 were about 20 kilotons - so in excess of 10000 times bigger than this. And they are classified as a small nuke. The expected crater will be 20 metres wide and 4 metres deep - not 5 miles across. The only reason you get a big plume is because of the combination of no atmosphere and low gravity.

The impactor was sent into the bottom of an existing crater, but that is about 10 times the size of crater you were talking about, so not sure where you got your fruitcake figures.

Bronze badge
Coat

never mind all that.....

.....waht are they doing to find the black monolith?

Postmodern scientists

would rather rehearse primitive myths than do old-fashioned science. How else to explain astronomers' preoccupations with fast-moving little things crashing into slow-moving big things? Examples: Comet Shoemaker-Levy into Jupiter. Deep Impact. And now this.

All are metaphors for a brave spunky little sperm bravely engaging a large fruity round egg - a metaphor from which countless other metaphors derive.

The search for scientific knowledge has mutated in the hyperreality of the postmodern era into the non-reflexive rehearsal of the "deep truths" alleged of the canons of art and literature. Ironic. It had it coming though.

Bronze badge
WTF?

@Wolf207

Did you forget your meds today???

Peace prize winners all...

All the 'anti' commenters should be nominated for the peace prize.

we know here, you need not do anything worthwhile now, to get it...

And they seem fully qualified.

as a woman?

"as a woman i feel violated that NASA feel it's acceptable to bomb the moon.

i demand this is stopped. i think we should get an INJUNCTION against NASA."

we'll as a man i feel unempowered that I'm prevented from blowing stuff, by preventing this you are oppressing my creative urges to rain chaos down and create afresh from the ashes of the old....

now go an make me a cup of tea... no sugar.

Coat

@Wolf207

I nominate Wolf207 for the FotW. I know im taking liberty on a few of the rules here but I think it qualifies because of how ill conceived his post was.

On a side note though lets all run around in mass hysteria now. THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!111one

/coat please

Fire the idiots at the moon.

Why do we have to share a planet with these imbeciles?

Anonymous Coward

Its nice to know....

That somewhere in this world there is a nutjob avaialable to protest anthing

Thumb Up

@AC 16:46

Win, best comment of the week.

Given its lucidity and slight chance of plausibility, I suspect Bill Fresher's comment was sarcasm.

Joke

Moon View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYHP0yCm8M

This explains everything.

often overlooked

Won't somebody please think of the children?

Peace Prize

To earn the Nobel Peace Prize, it is not sufficient merely not to be George Bush. Many people are not George Bush. You must, like the last three winners, be the person who has done the most not to be George Bush.

@Wolf207

"by what authority does the United States imagine it can unilaterally use such measures against a target that is shared by the entire world?"

" The major media release only hours before this act contributed to the legitimate concern and anger of many"

You seem to believe that this was kept secret until hours before impact. The mission was planned years ago,and information about its objectives is easily found thanks to the Internet. NASA releases information constantly, but the mainstream media only reports the exciting bits.

Unilaterally? Has there been any worldwide political or scientific objections? No, none whatsoever.

Just a few fruitcakes jumping up and down at the last moment.

Paris Hilton

@Wolf207

You're exactly right. My tax dollars would have been much better spent ramming their thing into the mounds of Venus. But nooooooooooo, we have to choose some dead worldlet only a nerd could love.

Paris because Paris has mounds and knows all about love.

Alien

Another crackpot theory I heard the other day...

...was that it wasn't a scientific experiment, but a test of a space weapon. Perhaps they're worried that we need to be protected from aliens with space missile technology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsMZKwqw3w

These creatures are obviously xenophobic, given their reaction to the diplomatic faux pas (involving non-use of eating utensils) committed at 5:25 in this clip.

Alien, because I'm wondering what planet the nutjobs came from...

Earth affects the Moon

"Wouldn't it seem logical for the earth to have a reciprocal effect on the moon - but it doesn't"

Yes it does. The Earth's tidal forces hold the Moon's orientation so that one side always faces us (more or less), AND the interaction between the Earth, the Moon and the oceans actually _accelerates_ the Moon, causing it to _gain altitude_ and move away from us over time.

Sperm and eggs

"All are metaphors for a brave spunky little sperm bravely engaging a large fruity round egg "

It actually is, honest to God, the cheapest way to check for water.

Its not their fault you see penis everywhere you look.

Happy

I am the moon

He's so bright and milky white

Shining down upon the ground

He's so bright, milky white

Shining down upon the ground

Everybody look at the moon

Everybody seeing the moon

The moon is bright, he's milky white

Everybody look at the moon

Hey! I did a song. Jupiter, I did a song. You ain't got one.

As a woman

I'm personally embarrassed by some of those coments. Would that I could convince myself they were jokes...

/facepalm

Silver badge

Gives new meaning to the word "Lunacy"

Enough said.

Then again, we don't have a "man from the moon", just a "man from mars"..

It demonstrates the level of education we have in the USA. (*SIGH*)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums