Struggling server and services company Unisys said this morning that its board of directors had authorized a reverse stock split for the company's shares, collapsing 10 shares down to one and thereby making its stock appear to be worth ten times as much to the automated trading systems that are trained to get nervous when stock …
A Sun wannabe
Oracle's next hardware mistake
Unisys. Great products, lousy marketing and zero strategic view from the top. These guys could fail to sell air if they had the monopoly on it. Think about it: the company that pretty much invented the computer is as marginalized in the large-scale computer world as the company that invented the color microcomputer is in the desktop one. There must be some sort of universal law at work.
The wonder is Unisys didn't go nails-up in the 80s.
But their products are truly great. I mean, software that works and a recovery model that is downright magical. If only they'd made OS1100 for workgroups or Visual Masm the history of the world might have been so very different.
They did do their 4GL right. I still have (and love) my pc Mapper (yeah, yeah, I know they changed the name a long time ago). Best programming language of that type I ever used.
I want a Unisys Icon for my trophy case. Nothing better embodies the principle of doing less for more.
More room to fall
Reverse stock splits often just unlock more room to fall. When Sun reverse split 4:1, the stock promptly fell another 50%.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER