back to article Nokia reinvigorates Wireless Power Consortium

The world's largest mobile-phone manufacturer has joined the Wireless Power Consortium, giving the organisation some much-needed credibility to go with its new logo. Wireless power remains a solution looking for a problem, but now at least it has Nokia joining in the search for a reason to exist with the Consortium's chair …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jerome 0

Apple

"unless Nokia suddenly embedded Qi technology into hundreds of handset models wireless charging will remain cool-but-pointless and expensive, unless Apple decides to get involved of course"

...at which point the technology would become vastly cooler, equally pointless, and more expensive than ever.

2. Paul 25
    Unhappy

Who are these *really* lazy people?

I just can't work out what the pressing need is for this stuff.

If it was true, long-range, Tesla style, wireless power then I could see the point: walk into a room and you phone immediately starts getting a charge but can still be moved around.

These inductive pads still tie your phone/laptop to a specific place, which will still have a cable running to it (to power the pad).

All this appears to save you is the couple of seconds that it takes to plug in the device.

The funny thing is that this inductive charging is actually less useful. My mp3 player is currently plugged in while I'm listening to it, and I can pick it up to operate it and it will carry on charging. Do that with an inductive charger and you'll be running on batteries again, unless you pick yo the inductive pad as well.

Am I being thick? Is there some genuine benefit to this, other than saving a matter of seconds a day?

3. Richard Gadsden 1

@Paul 25

<i>These inductive pads still tie your phone/laptop to a specific place, which will still have a cable running to it (to power the pad).

All this appears to save you is the couple of seconds that it takes to plug in the device.</i>

That's fine when you're talking about one device. But when you have a mobile, a bluetooth headset, a laptop, a bluetooth mouse and a digital camera, and your partner has the same again and so do your kids, then you're looking at having anything up to 20 chargers to recharge everything. Being able to just dump a pile of kit on one pad would be a real advantage in comparison.

Not only that, but if inductive pads were common, then all portable electric/electronic devices would start being able to use them, which might allow higher drain on devices that usually use disposable batteries, like portable radios, TV remotes and watches (helping digital radio, eg DAB+ and also making SideShow remotes practical)

4. jubtastic1
    Stop

I guess that impending energy crisis has been fixed?

So we can continue to push these wonderful solutions that by design piss energy all over the place.

The world needs hardware with ultra low energy requirements and compact efficient software to run on it, what we're getting is ever more transistors to compensate for sloppy bloated bug ridden software and half assed charging solutions that add a minimum of 40% to energy requirements.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like