Feeds

back to article The tools of the trade: Cutting edge or a bit embarrassing?

Do the phrases ‘cutting edge’ and ‘your IT shop’ constitute a contradiction in terms, or do you work in a sleek and streamlined vision of sci-fi IT? When we asked you about this last year we got the impression that for most organisations it was more the former than the latter. That’s not to say you told us things were falling …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

NetXMS...

...we couldn't get Managemet to part with the tool we wanted, as monitoring fell either under ther server guys or netowrk guys, neith of which could understand the requirements we needed (Telephony guys) and could be bothered as they had enough problems of there own.

Then I discovered NetXMS, now not are we monitoring our systems, other fragmented bits of the department are looking at it as well, so they can get their areas better monitored.

Hell we even let the network & server guys know about issues before their £50k stuff alerts them.

Yes it's harder to set up and configure, but once set blows away much of the so called "high end" stuff.

http://www.netxms.org/

Thumb Up

Got annoyed with shoddy vendor functionality,

so have had to write my own posix scripts for the following,...

- backup tape bar-graphs (shows usage across a night)

- historical backups data capture to text file (history is purged after the backup expires)

- media utilisation reports (showing % utilisation on tapes)

- restore scripts (builds command line for restores of databases, allows ops to run them)

- capacity / growth monitoring (detecting data areas / tablespaces over % limits)

- printer queue performance (checking printers are sending through X jobs per minute)

No one tool seems to do it all, but I am lucky in that I have time to customise with scripts.

One thing that helps any environment is the setting of standards before implementation, which means consistency, configurability and expandability, and less jiggling of tools, shelfware and "sprawl" of tools.

This topic is closed for new posts.