back to article German cops impound motorised beer crate

A German biker who rather brilliantly converted a beer crate into a diminutive quad bike has been relieved of his wheels, following a police pursuit, Ananova reports. Matthias Krankl apparently attracted the attention of law enforcement operatives by speeding on his lovingly-crafted machine. He attempted to make good his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jimmy Floyd
    Boffin

It's a mini kart

I recognise those tyres as being the sort used on racing karts (popularly but erroneously known as 'go-karts', which are the pedal-powered versions). In fact, 'all' he's done is use the beer crate as a seat and strap it to a small, tubular chassis, much like a kart. Still looks wicked fun though.

It's hardly surprising he broke the speed limit too. Some of the single-gear racing versions used at British and European Championship level can break 100mph on a 100cc, single-cylinder engine. Karts with 250cc engines and gears can hit 160mph...

2. Daniel 1

It's a bit like 'Mad Max' meets the Telly Tubbies

It may be outright dangerous, but it least it got a little further from the 'concept' stage than a lot of those 'leccy tech vehicles. I expect you're trying to work out what to use for the beer crate in the Playmobil version, now, are you?

3. Liam Johnson
    Pint

Bad design

no room left for the beer!

4. HFoster

Tell you what

At least the Polizei have an appreciation for engineering innovation.

5. peyton?

I almost hate to admit it

But I've driven around on the bar stool version of these... kinda fun, tho I'd not actually spend money on one (and certainly not take it on a real road lol)

http://www.minichopperssocal.com/

6. 4HiMarks
    Pint

try a Cruzin Cooler

That does no good. The box is all taken up by the engine and there's nothing to even keep the beer cold. He really needs something like this:

http://www.cruzincooler.com/index.htm

"Cruzin Cooler combines two basic necessities of life, the ability to have cold food or a beverage handy along with the means to get somewhere, without walking. The Cruzin Cooler is light-weight, comes in various sizes and colors and is available in gas and electric models, with up to a 10 mile range on electric models and 30 miles on the gas models."

7. Big Al
    Thumb Up

Conforming to stereotype

""The officer added: "We were very impressed with the workmanship so we congratulated him and then we confiscated the machine."""

Thereby neatly encapsulating the well known German passion for precision engineering with the efficiency for which the nation is known, all in a single line quotation! Priceless :-)

8. Paul Schofield

Odds on??

Who thinks there are good odds that that thing is now getting serious 'Investigation" out the back of the polizei bunker???

It does look a lot of fun.....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Want...

Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want, Want.

10. David 45

Humour?

What's this? German police officers (or any German) admitting that something might be fun? Cor blimey, mate, they must have had a sense of humour implant.

11. Bad Beaver
    Pint

@ Big Al

You've nailed it ;)

Anyway, as one of the few countries without a general speed-limit, I think it's fair that we have a bit of regulation regarding what is actually allowed on the road.

12. Anonymous John
    Pint

Vorsprung Bier Technik

Type your comment here.

13. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

only one word really

Fandabbidozi

14. transientcylon
    Pint

Form over function

It may not break the speed limit but here's how we do it in Milwaukee:

http://staff.onmilwaukee.com/articles/cookcustoms.html?a=article_image&image=3

You have to scroll through the images but the owner of a local custom chopper store decided to motorize this old love-seat. The lamp on the back is fully functional and lights up. It's quite a sight to see this thing cruising from bar to bar on the weekend.

15. Roger Stenning
    Happy

Um... Austria, you say?

Looking at the photo, and then the text of the article, are you sure there's not a misprint in the source - I could've sworn it should say "Australian Times" ;-)

16. James O'Brien
    Joke

A title is required. The title is a lie.

"The officer added: "We were very impressed with the workmanship so we congratulated him and then we confiscated the machine."

That is classic.

Plod 1 Thats an awesome idea but we have to 'confiscate' it.

Later that night at the impound lot:

Plod 2: WOOOOOOHooooooooo damn this thing is fun.

Plod 1: Need another beer?

17. MadonnaC
    Pint

all together now...

B, double E, double R, U, N

beer run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCPhIjmk-s

18. Argus Tuft

if that was in merka

they'd have rolled out the tyre spikes and then tazered the poor sod. At least the Germans (austrians?) seem to have a sense of proportion.

19. Paul Hates Handles
    Pint

@David

It's funny - but the German cops + government seem to be more reasonable than ours these days. Who saw THAT coming...?

20. Yorkshirepudding
    Coat

great escape

i wonder where it will be kept? so that vill be 3 weeks in ze cooler ja?

mines the one with the tunnel map in

21. Richard Jukes

And there's me thinking...

And there's me thinking that there was soem crazy german riding around on a full beer barrel. I am gutted. Ah well.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like