Feeds

back to article Facebook turns out light on Beacon

The light has finally gone out on Facebook Beacon, the user-data-sharing ad system that creeped out so many netizens after its launch in the fall of 2007. But Mark Zuckerberg's social networking empire has other schemes for squeezing dollars from user data. In agreeing to settle a year-old lawsuit over Beacon - which raised the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Stop

Facebook 0 - Sheeple 1

In the end, just more voluntary ID theft and data mining, though.

Unhappy

Well..

At this time ( 0857 UK Time ) The option for Beacon still exists on Farcebook's Privacy settings.

Coffee/keyboard

dear world,

no-one reads adverts and certainly no-one clicks on the fucknig things, just get rid of them entirely.

Rgds,

The World.

Thumb Down

Mark Zuckerberg is the Michael O'Leary of the social networking world.

I do not fly RyanAir, just in case you were wondering. And it will be a cold day in hell before I share personal information on Facebook.

Try this, try that

Facebook has tried this, tried that and tried the next thing in several desparate attempts to make money out of people who inherently want free stuff. It's like someone feeling around in the dark for a light switch, only to find the bulb has blown (and it wasn't an energy saver either!).

WTF?

Hold on....

"Zuckerberg and company have resolved to extinguish the system, while creating a $9.5m foundation to promote online privacy."

Wait, so the founder of a well known site whose only revenue stream is based around the data, likes and dislikes of it's users is involved in *anything* to do with online privacy?

Isn't that a blatant conflict of interest?

Silver badge

@dear world & Marketing Surveys

Yep, people click on ad's - its a right nifty business actually.

That being said, this new program seems ripe for abuse (it'd be fun actually). Who really tells the truth on surveys anyway? Most marketing companies know me as a married Dr. with three children, one dog, and one wife with a household income of more than $150,000.

Of course only the dog part is true.

Headmaster

@Solomon Grundy

I like your style. I've exaggerated but never *that* much. Good idea!

There's no apostrophe in "ads" though (sorry!)

Obviously pedantic grammar nazi alert

This topic is closed for new posts.