back to article Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X 1GB

When Sapphire had added its Vapor-X cooler to AMD's Radeon HD 4850 it turned a standard single-slot board into a very, very quiet dual-slot card. Now it has performed the same trick on the Radeon HD 4890. Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X Sapphire's Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X: very, very quiet... The two Vapor-X designs look …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Original Ash
    Thumb Down

Pfff

I get 60 fps out of my 8800gtx at 1920x1200

That card's 3 years old.

2. bex

on cooling

A slow moving 12 cm fan as the front of the case pulling air in and the same at the back pushing out will solve internal heat problems without causing much more noise

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

All well and good, but...

ATI need to sort out their drivers. I'm still getting driver failure on a clean build Vista machine with a 4850...

4. dl

Not bad

Pretty nice, but as you say with the DX11 cards on the way, why not wait?

Even if you don't want a DX11 card their launch should push down the prices of the older cards.

5. Timothy
    Thumb Down

The Return of Captain Obvious

Hmmmm. Nvidia 275 has higher performance and less power and CUDA/PhysX. Takes two cards in crossfire to beat this - but could add a 2nd Nvidia ard that will once again beat this card hands down with less power.

Captain Obvious has returned.

6. b 3

what about the 4850X2?

CONSISTENTLY being named as THE card to get?

quieter cooling is definitly to be appluaded tho..

some cards/pc's sound like hoovers!

cheers,

bill (eupeople.net/forum)

7. Peter Kay

Looks pretty useless to me

Nice technology, but overpriced. Heating up the interior of the case is not encouraging - the point is to expel the air out of the case.

With the 5850/5870 you'd have to be an idiot to buy a card now. 4870s are going from 100 quid inc VAT too..

Now, if they can produce a Vapor X 5870 with Eyefinity, then I'm seriously interested..

8. Another Anonymous Coward 1

@AC

Yep, ATI drivers still crash Vista when aero is running, it has to be disabled to avoid crashes.

It's the only way, I've had this issue, tried every new driver release and it still isn't fixed.

9. proletarian
    Thumb Up

I like it.

i have this card, i've had it for a month (the 2gb version)

i like it, pretty decent, not arsed about DX11 (look at the DX10 debacle!)

you can make it sound like a hoover if you go into catalyst and set the manual fan to high.

Oh and the blue LED goes bye bye with a pair of tin snips, however, since my case lights are green, a soldering iron and a green LED were a better idea.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like