back to article Microsoft wraps Project 2010 parcel in Ribbon

Microsoft has unveiled a few more details about its upcoming Project 2010 application, which the firm described as the “most significant” upgrade of the software in a decade. The next iteration of the project management app includes a snugger fit with MS Outlook email. There are also new collaboration features for customers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The circus rolls on...

See this is the real problem now isn't it.

We've done the app software to death, it has all the features it's ever going to need, we're almost done attaching it to everything but the garden hose. Yet software developers ( prop and OSS ) still don't get down to the real problem of stamping out the damn bugs! Come on, how much more can you add to a project management tool, once it has all it needs to manage any project?

Tweak code to add in new GUI elements API calls, change the banners at the top of the source V=V+1 and we're ready to roll again!

2. Citizen Kaned

anyone else...

hate the new M$ ribbon? i hate using office 2008 as its so unintuitive (is that even a word) to use.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

RE: The circus rolls on...

AC wrote: "Yet software developers ( prop and OSS ) still don't get down to the real problem of stamping out the damn bugs!"

No, instead they add the annoying ribbon interface. Calling it "Fluent". Bollocks to that.

If you are just trying to find a few new features, you're stuck - it's a realy pita.

Changing the user interface is bound to result in another bunch of bugs, so this won't be the end. I'm expecting a patch or seven to be released almost on the same day as the software itself.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: The circus rolls on...

Don't forget to lock in your customer to using the rest of your product line as well, then tie it all down so they can never leave...

Project 2010's snug fit with outlook = need outlook = pointless having office and outlook without exchange = need exchange server 2008 = need Windows Server 2008 (64 bit version) = need 64 bit server.

Then there's the sharepoint functionality and everything that goes with having that.

"Welcome to Microsoftville. You'll never leave"

5. Stephen Channell
    Thumb Down

Not another ribon

Why, oh why, oh why do they feel the need to ditch the menu...

I know the taskbar has had its day (Excel in Bank Front-Office is awash with taskbars for every vendor).. but the ribon is NO replacement for the Menu.

6. TimLennon
    Coat

Oh dear ....

I actually like the ribbon a lot. I can see more functions, more quickly, and understand what they do more easily, too ...

Of course, the Apple UI is still generally better.

7. Tom 15

The Ribbon...

The Ribbon in Office 07 is one of the best things MS ever did. It allows quicker access to more functions and groups them much better. It is a bit of a pain to relearn where everything is and they should allow an option to switch back to Menus but once you've learnt it it's far superior.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The ribbon? You get used to it.

That's it really.

It's not easier, it doesn't improve your productivity, it's just the same but different. It is a waste of time but they need something to sell. For some reason MS isn't interested in making their existing stuff solid (maybe because using it isn't subscription based).

They only make money when you buy their new stuff, so new stuff is what they make - even if it isn't any good. That's what MS is about, that is what they do. Don't be so surprised.

9. Daniel B.
    FAIL

Ribbon!

That means I'm not touching it either, unless they have a big red "switch on menus" button on it. Live Messenger still has a button to open up the original menus, Office should have it as well.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like