Feeds

back to article Apple sends iPhones into 'Coma Mode'

Complaints about Apple's new iPhone OS 3.1 are flooding the web, with one poster calling it "the buggiest update that Apple has yet released for the iPhone." The problems being reported are legion. They include iPhones becoming totally unresponsive, dropped calls, poor battery life, difficulties with Wi-Fi connections, failed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Unhappy

Borked...

....podcast sort order here after 3.1, they are now in random order, brill!

one pile or the other

I'm in the "Everything's fine with mine" side. Both 2G, 3G, and 3GS all took update with no issues.

Bitch, bitch, bitch...

I guess Apple is now the Eviiiiil Empiiiiire du jour, and must be denounced at the first sight of any issue, regardless of blame or reason.

The AppleInsider article, which was conveniently included at the end of El Reg's panic alert, explains in great detail what is going on and who are the affected users (read: not everyone).

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09/16/exchange_enhancements_in_iphone_3_1_cause_some_users_grief.html

In short, Apple improved the security of their Exchange ActiveSync implementation, following Microsoft's own guidelines; but it turns out that a recent patch to MS Exchange servers rendered certain devices which do not support a specific feature, useless.

I'm sure there are some people with legitimate problesm with the new iPhone update, there always are. However, it seems like once again everything is being blown out of proportion, and--sadly--El Reg is not helping to keep the sanity.

-dZ.

h 6
Go

3.1 works

I have an original iPhone and 3.1 works just fine for me.

Stop

Just in time...

Less than 20secs remaining on my download of 3.1 when I clicked on this article.

Think I may hold off for a week or so and see how this pans out....

Unhappy

iPod Touch also lost sync

Can't sync with iTunes after the updates today - iTunes 9 and iPod 3.1.1, which all means I can't restore the older version. I'm going through the Apple fixes which recommend removing iTunes, removing mobile device support and reloading iTunes from the web site.

I also note that there are so many people downloading iTunes 9 that I am getting, oh, 12K bytes per second.

*sigh*

Pint

Seen it happen...

Before the Apple sympathisers dive in telling us all to stop being melodramatic I've watched a friend and a Girlfriend - Both firm and devout members of the Church of Jobs I hasten to add - have their devices succumb to the world of 3.1.

I'm sure the Microsoft server sync bug is a terrible terrible thing, and blame shifting is always great fun... But why on Earth should a server side bug cause the client to die in a blaze of black frozen glory?

Anyway, chalk my vote on the "It happens, don't install if you value your sanity" board...

Anonymous Coward

@DZ-Jay

You have to take the bad with the good DZ... A couple of months ago El reg had their tongue inserted into places even Andrex doesn't reach.

Re: iPod Touch also lost sync

Is it the iPhone or could it be Snow Leopard?

I was having problems with iTunes since I installed Snow Leopard a couple of weeks ago. Specifically, it kept forgetting the firewall permissions every time I ran it.

I was recommended to remove it and re-install it from the web site, and now it works fine. It seems apparent so far that Snow Leopard tightened up the access control permissions of the apps that come with it, so I wonder if these issues have anything to do with it?

Can anybody confirm if this is occurring with older versions of OS X?

-dZ.

Thumb Up

simply disregard all input and needs to be fully rebooted before it will work again

Hmm, sounds just like my Windoze mobile, in fact the bug description reads like the feature requirement in the WinMo product definition document;

"Users report seemingly random occurences, sometimes when the phone has been put to sleep, sometimes when it's locked, and sometimes just whenever it feel like it."

Now, if Apple can add on "random freeze for x seconds longer than the network divert to voice mail timer when receiving a call" they will have matched Redmond....

Just One Problem Here

The only problem I have encountered is the complete inability to cut/copy/paste in MobileSafari text entry dialog boxes. Text can be selected, but the buttons for cut/copy/paste/etc do not appear.

Not sure if it's a bug, or if I just need to restore my iPhone (3G, for what it's worth) - power cycling had no effect. I've submitted a bug report, so will wait to see what response comes out of Cupertino.

On the flip-side, my iPhone seems to be snappier™ than it did with 3.0 and 3.0.1 (but they were noticeably laggy in comparison to 2.1).

Joke

iPhone

Update to stop your iPhone working properly? There's an update for that!

FAIL

Apple, they just work

lmao

Thumb Down

Flooding?

Have you been to the Sky school of headline and strapline writing?

It installed fine on my iPhone. installed fine on my Mums iPhone. In fact everyone I know with an iPhone have had no problems. Statistically a few will go wrong. I'd bet most of those *will* be down to user error.

Jobs Halo

@DZ-Jay A recent patch?

Exchange SP1 was released in November 2007 nearly 2 years ago.

Apple new what affect the 3.1 patch would have but did not pre-warn exchange admins, think its funny you are trying to spin the blame on to MS.

No probs with iPod touch

I've found 3.1.1 to be an improvement over 3.0, actually. Nothing major, but nice enough and no complaints with syncing or anything else really.

Grenade

What do you expect.....

Strangely this is not a problem I have with my Nokia. By a phone from a company that understands phones, and a computer from one that understands those, and you'll have no problems.

Thumb Up

Title here

I know I'm going to regret saying this as the inevitable strikes shortly after posting, but I've been using 3.1 since the day it came out with no issues whatsoever. My 11 month old iPhone 3G updated fine and hasn't skipped a beat since.

FAIL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Welcome to the world of the iBrick.

Gotta love Jobsientology's quality control checks. Clearly they tested the update on the full range of their products to make sure none were affected by this.

Or is this a ploy to force older iPhone users to upgrade to newer hardware to avoid this new "feature", allowing them to work as Jobsientology wants them too. Until Jobsientology needs to boost the bottom line again and includes another such "feature" into their product, that is.

WTF?

Hmphfff

To pay so much for that device and experience all these problems, is simply, hilarious!

Silver badge

There's more to software

Than just making it look pretty, apparently. Even when you control the device, contracts, and sideloading applications, it's not so straightforward.

For those who care, Android seems to be a pretty solid competitor, wodges of apps and more on the way, and a different devil behind it all.

Linux

How the f***

...can things like this happen. I thought the whole basis of the Apple closed eco-system with hardware and software was to ensure compatibility and stability? If they are having problems with essentially one hardware and software platform, the Apple *magic* has put some doubt on my mind.

Winmo, Symbian, Android OS have to contend with many hardware and software configurations. So for all the minor issues all the *other guys* have with their phones, I think they're doing an ok job.

Just nice to see a little dirt on the angels wings to humble the disciples up a bit. The iPhone is good, really good, but not perfect and not for everyone.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Stupid Statistics...

Now, I'm not an apple fan by any stretch of the imagination, but let's look at this statement:

"Finally, as of Thursday morning in a decidedly unscientific poll on Phones Review, 70 per cent of respondents had answered the question "Is your Apple iPhone useless after 3.1 update?" with "Yes and I am so ticked off.""

Sound like horrible statistics, doesn't it? Until you remember that the most likely reason a respondent came across this poll was because they were looking for a fix for their borked phone, thus skewing the numbers.

Thumb Down

Mr

OS 3.1.1 bricked my iPod Touch 2G and iTunes 9 refused to restore it. It's off for repairs under warranty. I'm going to have to read a book on the bus, dammit.

Stop

RE: Stupid Statistics...

Of course the stats are skewed,

1) They are from a web poll

2) They are, as you state, heavily influenced through the selection of the sample. This is known as Bayes law in statistics (the same as in bayesian 'filters' in spam detectors) where you are stating a probability given one or more predetermined conditions.

In this case the probability stated is not "The probability of your jesus phone bricking on update" but rather "The probability that your jesus phone is bricked given that you can be bothered to take part in this survey and have found this web page". This, as you state, is a skewed sample of

a) people who largely Googled (or Bunged) for "broken iphone, suicide, end of my world" and

b) Those who found the page another way but were angry enough about their expensive ornament to bother with the survey.

Jobs Horns

Serves them right

If we take delight in this collossal cock up by Apple its only because they smugly berate any and every action taken by Microsoft. They delight in charging a fortune for under-featured but stylish looking goods that their magpie fanbois snap up regardless of price.

Apple was very fair about it

Even us lowly iPod users were invited to the party. iTunes 9.0 effectively erased my 90% hard drive iPod classic - nothing to do with the iPod code (which wasn't updated). After synchronizing properly, it turned on the iPod, zapped it senseless, and refused to recover it (unexplained error). It was only recoverable by installing the copy of iTunes 8.x installer I'd saved.

Since my 8GB of music was now useless in iTunes 8, I simply cemented the earphone jack shut, copied my 60GB of data back on, noted the additional 10% to write off on taxes, and vowed once again never to buy another apple product. That's really the only fix.

Bronze badge
Megaphone

SERVES THEM RIGHT

OF COURS IF THEY HADNT BOUGHT A PIECE OF iJUNK IN THE FIRST PLACE THIS WOOD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED TO THEM I HAVE MY OLD NOKIA 1010 WHICH I'VE HAD SINCE 1949 WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. APPLE ONLY MAKE STUFF FOR SHEEPLE WITH NO BRAINS, IF PEOPLE HAD ANY SENSE THEYD STAY AWAY. WHATS WRONG WITH A PHONE WICH CAN JUST CALL AND TEXT IF I WANTED A COMPUTER ID HAVE BOUGHT A LAPTOP: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD IM FED UP WITH SHEEPLE BEING TAKEN IN BY ALL THE MARKETING GIMMICKS AND STUFF AND THEN COMPLAINING IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU SHOULDNT HAVE BOUGHT IT AND YES IT SERVES YOU RIGHT BECAUSE IF MORE PEOPLE LIKE ME HAD THE BRAINS TO STAND UP TO THE ADVERTISNG BRAINWASHING WE WOULDNT BE IN THE STATE WERE IN WITH THE COUNTRY GOING TO THE DOGS AND ALL.

Jobs Horns

I don't get it

It's exactly the same hardware and software. How can it bork only certain iPhones / iPods? I'm not sure how the apologist's can blame user stupidity tho', surely you tell the device to update and it does (just works), or it doesn't (brick).

Or maybe... they're not all made with the same precise components, when gold plated chip A runs out they use slightly inferior chip B, then, because the only phones at HQ use A they forget to test the update on devices using B.

FAIL

Let me get this straight.....

I know it's already been said by some, but I'm going to say it again. Phone company makes phone. Phone company wants to screw as much $$$ as possible from phone. Customer buys phone. Customer wants to make phone do all sortsa things that the phone company don't want. Phone company try and lock customer in. Customer resists. Phone company use updates etc to try and retain control of the $$$ flow. Customer resists even harder. Phone company try to keep one step ahead of customer. Customer tries to keep one step ahead of phone company. And so it goes on.

FFS people, stop following the phone company around like lost sheep. If you want to make calls on the move, buy whatever (insert manufacturer name here ) model you like and make calls. If you want to take photos, get a camera. If you want to send emails, use a f*cking pc/laptop/internet cafe.

Buying stuff like iBricks is for sad people who lap up whatever the marketeers throw up at them and then whinge like crazy when they realise they've been had.

Jeez

Silver badge

Still the main problem stays

The iPhone is riddled with DRM so you cannot easily run your own code on it. So Apple has managed to turn a fully functional computer into a dumb appliance you technically only get to own once it's broken.

Should I ever buy a smartphone, it'll probably be a N900 which is a propper computer I can actually use. A device which is not restricted by arbitrary limit imposed by the network operator.

Gold badge
Coat

@The Cube

Ah yes. But with Windows Mobile, updating to the latest version *fixes* that rather than *causes* it.

Apple still have some way to go.....

Megaphone

Not enough data

Ok, OK, we have all had some fun reading about dead Iphones ! But I have not seen any evidence as to how much of a problem this is? If tens of people with access to forums complain it will seem like a major problem, but there are millions of phones out there, and I have not seen millions of forum posts.

By the way, my iphone 3gs is fine updated without any trouble whatsoever.

So lets get some perspective on this and hopefully Apple will do the right thing by those who do have a problem.

Badgers

iTouch

Update worked fine on my iPod Touch and on my girlfriends new iPhone.

There is nothing wrong with the iPhone for those wishing to bash it here, it's a stylish mini computer just like any of the other offerings. Personally prefer the HTC for texting and email but the iPhone is a nice device.

Jobs Halo

See I don't get it

I used to be the biggest anti-Mac zealot in my workplace.

But as time went on and I saw some of the features of the iPhone, I decided I was going to get one.

And it's been the best damn phone I ever had.

It doesn't drop calls like pretty much every other phone I've had in the last 11 years randomly did. It has web access which actually works. It allows me to download apps to play games (which are the main ones) and it means that I don't have to carry a separate music player as I've got nearly my full collection on it.

If you'd spoken to me 6 months ago, I'd have been in the "yeah, it's rubbish" camp. Then I actually used it and realised it wasn't.

It's not perfect by any means. But it's functional gripes around the interface I've got, rather than "It doesn't allow me to do X" gripes.

I say again, the best damn phone I've ever had. I'm not a Mac zealot (this is being typed up on my Vista laptop, which is the best damn laptop I've ever had, even if I can't wait to receive my copy of Windows 7).

Thumb Up

@Lord Elpuss

Seems whatever phone or computer you're using has a broken CAPS LOCK button, maybe you should buy a Mac??

Re: I don't get it

This could easily be related to timing problems.

All Ipods, Iphones etc. are obviously not made with the same components.

There are differences such as memory size and suppliers, that can matter more than you would think.

The basic processors will go through a series of iterations and upgrades over time (even if it is "just" a process shrink. This affects timing).

Last but still important - even processors manufactured in the very same batch will have some variation rendering some of them more prone to error than others.

So the Apple phone "platform" is getting more and more varied over time - meaning that they can run into more of this type of problems.

It helps if they know the full possible variation of their platform components, but even the manufacturers may not know that in advance.

compatibility..

Every iPhone harware is the same. So, why is there any problem at all? Microsoft has these problems but they have to support thousands of devices and configurations. But any way why are some affected and some aren't?

Coat

Add your own comment

<sings> with apologies to Pete Seeger

Where have all the fanbois gone?

Long time passing

Long time ago

They haven't gone, we just can't call them

When will they ever learn?

When will they ever learn?

</sings>

Coat

Phones are for TALKING

I have a phone (Nokia) that i use for , Hmmmm let me se, Ahhhh yes TALKING , And i dont suffer these problems, this is what you get if you put all your eggs in one "I basket", if you want to play or view music get a mp3/4 player, e-mail or computation a laptop/notebook, navigation get a satnav, and to TALK get a nice simple PHONE. GGGGGrrrrrrrrrr why do firms make life sooooo complicated and costly????????????

Mines the coat with lots of pockets in !!

Jobs Halo

No Coma

My iPhone 3G and Touch both work perfectly after the upgrade. And I like the new iTunes as well.

Happy

I'm with BeachBoy & Christian Berger

Just bought a Nokia E63, no ties to any service provider, our corporate IM client (Sametime) installed in moments, & it isn't riddled riddled with restrictions imposed by the manufacturer on the content I can put on it.

Thumb Up

Well, mine is..

...working! Must say, maybe im lucky or whatever, but neither have a had a problem with the 3.1 update, nor with any other update for that matter.

Is it luck or karma?

FAIL

I knew I was right!

Work have given me a Macbook Pro and an iPhone.

I tried to love them, I really did. The speed of the Macbook is awesome, the graphics are incredible for a laptop and iTunes is far better than I expected, however...

The Macbook Pro now runs Linux and if I could I'd install android on the iPhone (or indeed any other alternative to the crappy os that apple-fans appear to love!) I'd do it tomorrow.

I've not updated yet, the only thing I wanted from is updated is the rumoured Augmented Reality which doesn't appear to have turned up in this release after all.

apple = fail. I'm going back to free software.

Joke

Need to brick your iPhone?

There's an app for that!

Anonymous Coward

More sales = more failures

Quote: "It's exactly the same hardware and software."

Are you sure? How many of these people experiencing problems have jailbroken their iPhones and are running non-standard software on it? Is it a few or is it lots. We don't know and Apple won't either.

@ El Reg

Of course the number of complaints is going to be higher for this release - Apple has sold more phones and more iPods since the last one. 1% of 10 million is a 100, 000 people. 1% of 40 million is 400 000 people. Even if the failure rate stays constant for every update, the number of people complaining will always higher than the last time.

Everything *nearly* fine with mine...

Seems ok except that a particular compilation album is now listed as a different album for every track. Ok, so the data for the album seems a bit flaky anyway, but the iphone coped with it until now.

Thumb Up

@Christian Berger

+1 for N900. This machine is looking highly interesting! I'm currently using an E90, but really, S60 is crap.

Unhappy

Glad it's not just me....

... i've had exactly these problems since upgrading to 3.1 myself - although I first I was quite inclined to blame the poor connectivity on O2. Everything was fine with it up until the last update - With the whole thing now locking up at least 4 - 5 times a day, I did wonder if Apple had gone and hired some of Microsofts' recent layoffs :-)

Silver badge
Jobs Horns

Coma

Mine has exhibited coma mode since the 3.0/3.0.1 update. Was hoping 3.1 fixed it!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.