Feeds

back to article Doctor Who fans name best episode ever

Over 6,700 Time Lord fans responded to a Doctor Who Magazine call to rate all 200 episodes of the classic sci-fi TV series, and selected 1984's The Caves of Androzani - in which fifth Doctor Peter Davison hung up his sonic screwdriver - as the best of the bunch. Davison's finale beat 2007's excellent Blink, with David Tennant, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

My favorite episode was.....

A Tom Baker one

Something about a Big Rat under London. It gave me nightmares for ages.

Anybody know the name of this episode I would love to revisit it again.

FAIL

wrong

bah, everyone knows the best Dr Who is War Games

Author! Author!

Great, so the rankings credit the actor who played the Doctor. Not the writer. Nor even director. This seems to say something fundamental about tthe nature of the fans, and it isn't all good.

Unhappy

Credit please?

It would be nice to credit the writer and director of the stories mentioned rather than just the Doctor. Any chance of updating the article?

@dunncha

Talons of Weng Chiang. Big rat + london + victorian.

Gold badge

Revisiting episodes

You might want to think about that. The old Dr Who's are pretty clunky and you are probably less easy to scare. Revisiting the older episodes is high on nostalgia and the storylines are at least as good, but you do have to get past a certain "disappointment" threshhold before you can see past the cardboard. The big rat was probably just a fat bloke in a woolly jumper.

Gold badge
Happy

@dunncha

In the list at number 4......

I remember seeing a rerun of this once where the continuity announcer introduced it as: "Oh heck, nobody ever calls it that.........The one with the giant rat."

Unhappy

Big rat under London?

That would be the episode at #4 - The Talons of Weng-Chiang.

Good to see that fully half of the top 10 episodes are Tom Baker ones.

BBC DVD

Dunncha: it's the Talons of Weng-Chaing and is available on DVD. The big rat gives me nightmares too, just in a different way.

Flame

At those moaning about writer / director credits

who cares ?

well obviously you do, but you don't count.

Anonymous Coward

@dunncha

There's a big rat under Victorian London in Talons of Weng-Chiang (number four on the list), but the main plot is to do with a theatre and a Chinese God. Tom Baker spends the story dressed much like Sherlock Holmes, and it was originally broadcast in 1977 according to Wikipedia. Could that be it?

I always liked

Remembrance of the Daleks by Ben Aaronovitch. And Blink, of course, which happened to be on TV a couple of nights back.

The one with the clockwork aliens was also very good and clever (Girl In The Fireplace?). Suprised that wasn't there. Impressed at the number of "old" episodes though.

Coat

Peri

Pwoooaaaaarrrr ! Nuff said !

Happy

The Best Doctor

Good to see Tom Baker take 5 of those 10 spots. Definitely the best Doctor.

Unhappy

bet they only asked the youngsters

Not a Pertwee or Hartnell in sight...

Alien

@Ken Hagan

Actually I disagree. I grew up as a child in the 70s and Tom Baker was my Doctor. As I grew older, I thought that I had outgrown the programme, especially in the McCoy era, but when they started releasing the Tom Baker episodes on video, I lapped them up because they were still great stories. I now have them on DVD and they are still fantastic!

IMHO, the Philip Hinchcliffe (producer) era produced some of the very best episodes of Doctor Who, and they stand the test of time to this very day. It is interesting to note that 4 of the 5 Baker episodes listed in this article were produced by Hinchcliffe.

Alien

Audiobooks - scarier

I used to have some of these Tom Baker era stories (including Talons) on audio tape (when we lived abroad with no TV) my imagination made them a hell of a lot scarier than when I got to see them on later reruns.

Bronze badge

@Revisiting episodes

True, although I lived without a TV for about seven years, and I began to notice that pretty much all TV is like that, it's just that you become immune to it after a while.

@Neil 4

The one with the clockwork aliens was also very good and clever (Girl In The Fireplace?).

Yes that's Girl in the Fireplace with Sophia Myles as Reinette, Madame de Pompadour.

It's yet another Stephen Moffat episode.

Happy

Tom Baker

Tom Baker was the best, the way he would do something like quip "I don't suppose there's any chance of a cup of tea?" to the head Cyberman is funnier today than it was back then.

Bronze badge

credit for writers and directors....

Genesis - written by Terry Nation, Dir Maloney, produced by Hinchcliffe

Talons - written by Robert Holmes, Dir Maloney, produced by Hinchcliffe

Pyramids - written by R. Holmes and Lewis Greiffer , Dir Paddy Russell , produced by Hinchcliffe

Robots - Chris Boucher, Dir Briant produced Hinchliffe

Holmes was script editor for all these

Anyone see a pattern yet?

Personally I love the audio plays

I've recently started listening to the Big Finish audio episodes. While some of them are a bit by the numbers, many of them are absolutely terrific.

And of course, being audio, the pictures are *much* better :) There are no clunky special effects in my head. A lot of the story-lines are much grander than you could possibly get away with on TV since it's all in your head. Some of them are genuinely very scary as well, but you can't hide behind the sofa.

Worth checking out.

Thumb Up

always a Tom Baker fan

so its good to see him realised as pretty much the best doctor there :)

one of the scariest ones for me was the T-Baker one with the vampires, sorry I am not quite nerdy enough to remember the titles, but the big spaceship as a stake was a smashing idea :)

The recent one where Jon Simms plays the master wsa also amazingly great

especially as he carries off that not very sane thing really well! :)

Caves.. wouldn't haveanything to do...

...with Peri in a bikini, would it?

Coat

@KorSha

It's interesting to note that 4 of those 5 Baker eps are from the Hinchcliff era.

Also Davisons Doctor lost his Sonic Screwdriver way before Caves...

Mine's the anorak with the bottle of Clearasil...

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

Not mentioned, but good....

...was The Green Death with Jon Pertwee. !972 or thereabouts?

Not a black helicopter, a nasty large flying insect!

Pint

@Steve X

>>bet they only asked the youngsters

You mean anybody under 50??

That makes me feel better anyway, but not much.

Troll

What?!

Where's the excellent episode with Peter Kay as the baddie?

Or the one where David Tennant shrivels up and is kept in a little cage before being saved by the power of human luuurve?

Alien

Surely it's Logopolis

The last episode with Tom Baker.

End of the universe stuff complete with Temporal Loops and Cloister Bell.

Finishes with him falling from a radio telescope and regenerating into Peter Davisdson.

Does it for me!

Happy

Blink

Blink was awesome, as was the Empty child - adopting a childlike voice to say "Are you my mummy?"scares the bjesus out of my missus!

2 good reasons for 'caves' topping poll.

And it just happens to have Peri bending over caring for the 'sick' Dr, revealing plenty of cleavage. Who says that all Dr Who Fans are 40 year old virgins ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMXRqaeoCLc

Anonymous Coward

Logopolis

it had to be ... the whole program was drenched in a fantastic air of foreboding and mystery. Quite elegaic. The TARDIS inside a TARDIS paradox. The concept of pure maths keeping the CVEs open, the corruption of the register leading to the decay of the universe ...

AND Sarah Sutton - ding dong !!!!

Thumb Up

I loved...

...Talons and Pyramids, so it's nice to see those in there. I would like to make it clear that this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Leela's or Sarah Jane Smith's respective presences in them. At all. In any way, shape or form. Just so's we're clear on that. *shuffles feet awkwardly*

Coat

There's a rather good reason why Tom Baker gets 5 of the 10 slots...

And it's not all to do with how good a doctor he was... (no denying he WAS a good doctor, but then, so were all the ones before colin baker).

Most doctors expire within about 3 or 4 years. Tom Baker lasted 7 meaning he had a far larger pool of episodes to choose from.

Mine's the one with the pockets that're bigger on the inside.

Unearthly Child

Sure it's a bit slow, but has DW ever topped the sense of wonder and awe when they step out of a 1960s junkyard into the TARDIS for the first time?

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

No Girl In The Fireplace??

Can't believe that didn't make the top 5??!! A better 45 minutes of television drama it's hard to find (well apart from The Doc's ever-so naff wink when the horse jumps through the mirror!).

No way Caves is better than this :-O

Mine...

I would have added Girl in the Fireplace, The Green Death, Terror at Fang Rock, Seeds of Doom and The Sea Devils.

What's the one...

based on Doom called? I like it purely for that reason. I still have the VHS of Pyramids somewhere, it was the first VHS I bought I think..

What's the one....

with Nicholas Parsons, Communist infiltrators & a vampire.

The fact that I can remember it after who knows how long has to be a big thumbs up.

Silver badge

Loss of the Sonic Screwdriver

It wasn't that episode where he dumped the driver.

He lost it in London, just before the great fire. Destroyed by a baddie.

Anonymous Coward

@Bo

The 'vampire' story was State of Decay, part of the E-space sequence. Good, but the grasp of the physics of entropy was.....painful.

Moreover, where's 'Tomb of the Cybermen'?

and Victoria > Peri

Anonymous Coward

Yeti

Being of sufficient maturity *ahem* to remember watching the first ever episode...

...the answer of course is the one with the Yeti in the London Underground.

oh, and Blink - which was one of those episodes they make with minimal use of the Doctor or his companion(s). Hmm.

More Moffat?

So the one in the library-world with the Vashta Narada shadows didn't make it to the top 10?! Now *that* was an amazing episode (pair of episodes actually). Not just carnivorous shadows, but also ghosts in mobiles, virtual worlds *and* a time-travel paradox thrown in. And the most impressive set ever used, because it was a real building.

For that matter, I'm surprised there weren't any Sylvester McCoy episodes in the top 10. His time as Doctor was when they finally managed to team up decent scripts with decent sets, and he made a very good Doctor.

Thumb Up

@ @ @ @ @ dunncha

Cheers everyone.

And available on eBay.

Giving me the willies just thinking about it.

Silver badge
Joke

Big rat episode

I seem to recall that every single one of Eccleston's episodes had a huge rat in it - was that what you were thinking of?

FAIL

Remake, please NOW!

Hopeful they remake "The Caves of Androzani" asap with Matt Smith.

1 season of Matt Smith as the Doctor is way to LOOOOOOONG!

WTF?

Davies eps ? Seriously ?

I can't believe anyone mentioned any new episodes that AREN'T Moffat. The non-Moffat ones are pretty average at best.

Patrick Troughton

My favourite episode (well, it's 4 episodes or something) is the one where the Cybermen have a base at the North Pole. It's downright scary, even today. It certainly puts most of the "new" Dr Who episodes to shame.

The problem is, no-one else seems to have seen it!

Anonymous Coward

spiders!

The one with the spider and blue crystals used to freak me out.

Strangely when growing up i didnt relaise how raunchy some of the assitants were at the time, maybe i have just become a dirty old man? (maybe Mary whitehouse was correct, maybe seeing such cleaveage at a young age twisted my psyche?)

FAIL

SONTA-HA!

What no sontarrans! FAIL

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.