back to article US gov opens Cloud shop to combat runaway IT costs

Federal CIO Vivek Kundra has unveiled a new portal where government agencies can shop for their very own clouds, a part of the Obama administration's effort to deliver the US government from the IT dark ages. Today, at NASA’s Ames Research Center in California’s Silicon Valley, Kundra took the wraps off Apps.gov, a storefront …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Solomon Grundy
    FAIL

Adult Fed Finder - Business Opportunity

Why does everyone go on believing this crap? 2000+ years of bureaucratic governments should prove that they can never get smaller or more efficient (unless you kill them all and start all over again).

Sure the U.S. taxpayer might save a few bucks on adding Flash animations to a website or, god forbid, adding interactive forms to a Federal site but any gains will be lost in photo sharing, "friend making", and all the other "social" crap most of these applications seem designed to deliver. I wonder if writing on a government wall is considered defacing government property?

There's a huge opportunity here for someone to create a "Adult Fed Finder" app though - so that government drones can find someone to hook up with; someone like them who truly understands what it's like working for the world's largest bureaucracy - someone to love and poke.

2. Captain Save-a-ho
    Coat

Re: Adult Fed Finder - Business Opportunity

"There's a huge opportunity here for someone to create a "Adult Fed Finder" app though- so that government drones can find someone to hook up with; someone like them who truly understands what it's like working for the world's largest bureaucracy - someone to love and poke."

The Feds get this for free today. It's paid for and handled by the various Lobbies.

I'd point out my coat, but it's loaded with hush money.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

oh boy...

Unless someone in the federal government got religion real fast, this is going to turn into a security and privacy nightmare. And given the some of the people the most current administration has decided to surround itself with, my guess is if builders built buildings the way most of the governments programmers and administrators write and support various applications, the first woodpecker that comes along is going to completely destroy the US.

4. Chris C

Michael Moore

OK, I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that Michael Moore was only joking when he recommended that we outsource the US government in his book "Downsize This!". Then again, George Orwell thought he was writing fiction when he wrote "1984". I shudder to think of the security implications of this (and similar) decisions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like