Feeds

back to article Microsoft Office for the iPhone (without the Microsoft)

No, you can't run Microsoft Office on your Apple iPhone or iPod touch. But you can edit Word and Excel files, including docs and sheets saved in Redmond's current .docx and .xlsx standards. This convenience is provided by Quickoffice, a company that has for the past 12 years been providing Microsoft Office document support for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

Woah

$10 for that?? Bargain!!

Joke

Shake it?

article> To undo an action, you need to shake your iPhone, which brings up an Undo/Redo dialog.

There's a Dilbert for that.

http://pics.livejournal.com/allah_sulu/pic/0002f3h8/g13

Welcome

Open Office

Cannot be ported to the iPhone because...?

OK - need to do some work for the different libraries, screen dimensions etc...

FAIL

Are we confused...

... about the difference between a formula and a function?

Quickoffice on Symbian seems the same or better

It promises to view Excel Charts, which does not seem to work from one created in OpenOffice.org.

FAIL

I don't care, I'm off to Android

The sooner I get rid of this pos the better, upgraded to iTunes 9 on Friday and then added all of the security updates (haven't upgraded in a while as I'd eventually got a non flakey update and stuck with it) and bam, it falls over, try to restore, it falls over again. Eventually recovered the whole thing using a different machine and install, but it reset everything to factory settings, there go my notes, music, settings (try typing a WEP key 15 times) and best of all contacts. Every time I try to restore them it destroys the iPhone again.

Thumb Down

What a palava!

If u could plug ur memory stick into the phone, do the edit, then save, then it would be useful. But if u have to have a PC to do the file transfer malarkey at both ends, then it would be simpler just to do the edit on the PC.

Jobs Horns

Same problem again - filesystem access

QuickOffice folk have had to utilize a workaround, and it seems it is useable.

However not being access the storage on the jphone (through USB / BT / etc) is too much of a limitation. Come on, not being able save an attachment? No "save link as.." on the Safari?

Plain stupid.

Enable multitasking, add some RAM, and let users put files on it without itunes or webDAV hoops.

No Open Document Format?

I see that this isn't ODF-supported. Hello, non-standards compliance.

Thumb Up

@I don't care, I'm off to Android

WTF has that got to do with this article? But picking up the gauntlet lets just comment...

If you can't handle an iPhone what makes you think you can handle an Android any better? I've updated iPhone to 3.1, iTunes to 9 and OS X to Snow Leopard all in one 90-minute session and it all worked faultlessly, flawlessly and with minimal human interference. It simply worked, simply. How can anyone possibly bugger that up?

Meanwhile, back on topic, QuickOffice has always been a neat product and all the moreso now that it appears on a real smartphone, not some of that POS that masquerades with fiddly little buttons and tiny screen. If they've exploited the iPhone's gestures it must be a dream by comparison to anything they've issued previously.

For $9 I cannot see any reason for people to complain, especially for this early version. ODF support? Perhaps, until the iPhone implementation, there has been no demand as far as the QuickOffice manufacturers are concerned. Who knows? But what is there is suitable for the masses at the moment.

Flame

@@I don't care, I'm off to Android #

iPhone to 3.1

, iTunes to 9

and OS X to Snow Leopard

all in one 90-minute session and it all worked faultlessly,

I just pressed the "install update" button

---

...you can just drag and drop on an adroid...save as..

Let the flames begin!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.