Feeds

back to article Lobbyists urge FCC to loosen up

US wireless lobbyist The CTIA is drawing on UK regulator Ofcom's research to convince the FCC that an unregulated market is a competitive market. In a letter addressed to FCC secretary Marlene Dortch, and seen by El Reg, the lobbyists draw from Ofcom's "Mostly Mobile" consultation to conclude that the USA is even more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Oh yeah? I know all about the FCC!

They will clean up all your talking in a manner such as this,

They will make you take a tinkle when you want to take a piss,

And they'll make you call felatio a trouser friendly kiss;

It's the plain situation,

There's no negotiation,

with the fellows at the freakin FCC.

They're as stuffy as the stuffiest of speical interest groups,

Make a joke about your bowels and they order in the troops,

Any baby with a brain could tell them everybody poops;

Take a tip take a lesson,

you'll never win by messin',

with the fellows at the freakin FCC.

And if you find yourself with some young sexy thing,

you're gonna have to do her with your ding-a-ling,

Cause you can't say penis.

SO they sent this little warning they're prepared to do their worst,

And they stuck it in your mailbox hoping you can be coerced,

I can think of quite another place they should have stuck it first;

They may just be nerotic,

Or possibly psychotic,

they're the fellows at the freakin' FCC!

FAIL

It may be...

...more competetive, but that's not to be confused with better. After living in the states for all of last year I can tell you now their telecoms providers are AWFUL. Mobile phones are more expensive, with worse range AND you even have to pay to receive INCOMING calls! Cable TV and broadband are also more expensive, the suppliers do their best to con you and avoid mentioning the real price of anything and there are dozens of regional monopolies like Time Warner's cable monopoly in New York - You think BT are bad you ought to try these muppets with their Nominal 10 meg connection that is actually about 100k most of the time! Coupled with all that, the people providing telephone support, while very personable and well spoken are thick as pig shit on the whole and you can spend even longer on the phone to them trying to sort out trivial matters than you would in Blighty on line to bangalore.

I for one don't want more competition and less regulation if that's where it ends up! No doubt Ofcom are rubbish but that is an argument to replace them with better regulators not abandon all notion of regulation. Markets require a bit of regulation to offset the information gap and fight the robber barons who naturally thrive in such situations - I've seen it in America and it's a bloody mess!

Flame

Politik speak

The FCC has become highly politicized in the Bush presidency. As a result decisions are made based on money, clout, and influence rather than science and law. The lobbyists don't have to make lucid arguments anymore, they just have to sound reasonable to an ignoramus, for which this qualifies.

This topic is closed for new posts.