back to article Blu-ray body talks up, fails to detail 3D content standard

The Blu-ray Disc Association has yet again said it's looking at how it can incorporate 3D TV content into the optical disc standard - but with still no indication in which technological direction its investigation is leaning. The BDA said in May it was forming a taskforce to probe the problem - five months after Panasonic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with 3d movies..

Is that with real life 3d you are used to being able to focus on different areas of a scene. With film this focus is fixed so it slightly off putting.

I prefer 2d movies as the director chooses what the focus is on. Which makes the story easier to follow.

2. Adam Salisbury
    Thumb Down

That's what you get...

When technology standards are dictated for commercial and not technological merits, I'd imagine we'll see a last minute, half assed standard thrown together just in time to catch that Avatar bangwagon as it trundles out of the cinemas and into the shops.

3. Paul Hates Handles

Eh?

There's a 3D-body? I thought it was just a room full of people trying to break everything :)

4. nichomach
    Thumb Down

I'm with AC "The problem..."

I wento to see Ice Age 3D with sprog and found that prolonged viewing was moderately uncomfortable, and the effects, while, well, effective, were frequently a distraction. I have to say that currently I prefer 2D.

5. Don Mitchell

Oh oh

Could be interesting, but let's not have another VRML debacle. They should get input from people who walk the walk, like ILM and WETA and Blizzard, about how to do it right.

6. Suburban Inmate
    Boffin

I, for one, welcome the new stuff!

@ AC 1st post:

I know what you mean, and many others have expressed similar feelings. Use of blurring in 3d scenes causing eye strain, etc. There's no perfect solution since the use of a longer focal length means a smaller aperture and therefore introduces more noise into the captured image.

However, there are ways other than focus to "focus" the viewer's attention upon the subject of a scene. Lighting, for instance. How often have you seen some temptress stand just in the right position to have a beam of light illuminate her eyes more than the rest of her face? Movement, colour, or just the fact that a character is talking can all achieve the same effect of attracting the viewer's instinctive attention. People (or rather their subconcious and/or visual cortex) will learn to accept 3D scenes having no unfocussed ares, just as we have all learned to interpret 2D pictures as representation of 3D scenes.

In any case, my eyes were bollocksed years ago by hours of Unreal Tournament p\/\/n4g£ at 18 inches from an eighteen inch CRT monitor. (Worth it for the instagib triple-holy-shit rampage though!)

This topic is closed for new posts.