Server virtualization juggernaut VMware kicks off its VMworld fest in San Francisco today by rounding out its vCenter management tools for the new vSphere 4.0 stack, which wraps around the new ESX Server 4.0 hypervisor. The company is also launching a free Web-based, hosted management tool that will allow companies that use …
VMware Server has been free for years
VMware Server has been free for years. Don't blame Citrix and Microsoft for following ...
Is this going to be another "blame Microsoft .... and ignore the free Netscape" piece of crap?
VMware server (formerly GSX) only went free after MS made Virtual Server a free product.
While these nice products are interesting, I have yet to see many companies actually buy them. The one I have seen most interest in (Site Recovery Manager) is obscenely expensive and isn't compatible with vSphere yet.
Although I think VMware is the superior product (and I consult on all this, Hyper-V and a little Citrix), if they don't do something about pricing, they will eventually suffer for it.
Timing ... VMware went free first.
VMware Server 1.0 went beta on February 6, 2006
Virtual Server 2005 R2 Ent went free on April 3, 2006
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Analysis Pity the poor Windows developer: The tools for desktop development are in disarray
- Chromecast video on UK, Euro TVs hertz so badly it makes us judder – but Google 'won't fix'
- Analysis BlackBerry's turnaround relies on a secret weapon: Its own network
- Product round-up The Glorious Resolution: Feast your eyes on 5 HiDPI laptops