Feeds

back to article Loch Ness Monster surfaces on Google Earth

Scotland's Loch Ness is doubtless braced for a stampede of Nessie-spotters after a reader of UK tabloid The Sun provided Google Earth evidence of the existence of the Scottish lake's elusive leviathan: Loch Ness showing possible Nessie sighting A closer look (.kmz here) reveals the astounding truth: A close-up of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

Its a boat...

Or a giant squid.

But cleary - its a boat with either 2 or 3 props on the back just starting up and causing a wake.

FAIL

*Sigh* its a boat.

Unless nessie is powered by outbaord motor. At planing speed hence the set back bow wave.

Clearly

Clearly a squared off back and a wake. Who's first reaction is "monster" then "maybe it's a boat on this famous tourist attraction". Sigh.

Anonymous Coward

Its a bloody boat

Sorry thats a boat....

The limbs just look like the wake coming off the back of it....

Welcome

Cthulhu fhtagn!

Nessie? No way. It's the Great Cthulhu!

I, for one, welcome our new Old One overlord (who in fact, always was).

FAIL

Fail

Obviously just a RIB with a wake behind it???

Black Helicopters

Looks more like a squid to me

Maybe we have been wrong about the monster all along?

FAIL

Sun readers...

"Eagle-eyed security guard Jason Cooke, 25, from Nottingham, enthused [in The Sun]: "I couldn't believe it. It's just like the descriptions of Nessie.""

Idiot.

WTF?

ne fule kno...

clearly this is nessie, you can tell by the pixels.

or a boat.

PS. Let me be the first to welcome our wake making overlords.

Here be titles

"It's just like the descriptions of Nessie"

Really? I always understood Nessie to be .. well, more sea-monster-like, and less boat-shaped.

Steve.

errrr

Sorry, local hotel-owners. I call boat/wake on that one...

Actually, it's a bit late in the season to be Nessie-spotting anyway. You really need to get these done around March/April time, so as to hook the summer traffic. Poor show, hotel owners !

FAIL

No it bloody isn't

>"It's just like the descriptions of Nessie."

NO IT BLOODY ISN'T you completely blind hysterical deslusional sod, since when the fuck was Nessie supposed to look like a giant squid? Cretin.

Pirate

looks like a boat to me..

pirates!!!

Paris Hilton

eagle eyed?

My first thought was "Oh look, a boat."

Paris, 'cause even she knows what a boat looks like.

Bronze badge

It's obvious...

...that it's a giant virus. Look at the flagella whipping the water. Clearly a giant invasion of something or other from outer space, swimming straight for the great hubs of our current civilisation, e.g. Inverness.

I for one, etc.

Black Helicopters

And on Google Maps...

For thos without Google Earth installed...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=loch+ness,+scotland&sll=57.214761,-4.570479&sspn=0.002208,0.004801&ie=UTF8&cd=1&rq=1&ev=zo&radius=0.09&ll=57.214369,-4.570436&spn=0.002208,0.004801&t=h&z=18

FAIL

What?

> "I couldn't believe it. It's just like the descriptions of Nessie."

No it isn't. If anything that looks like some sort of squid, whereas all the descriptions of Nessie talk of an animal with tail, (usually) four legs with flukes and a head on a long neck - no head & neck in that pic.

Anyway it looks just like a boat & wake to me...

Coat

bullseye

In the words of the great Jim Bowen: "It's a speedboat"

FAIL

It's a boat, any one can see that!

It's also a quiet Friday.

Thumb Down

All hail the miracle of Google Earth

First it detects an invasion of giant insects, then it solves the mystery of UFOs, then it finds Atlantis, and now the Loch Ness Monster, all without stopping the steady stream of giant, rude graffiti. Is there nothing Google Earth can't do on a slow news day?

Rob
Bronze badge
WTF?

Confusing

I can see how it would be confused with Nessie if you've never seen a boat before.

maybe a boat - but

... what about the long object up and to the right of the arrow tail?

Linux

Eh?

"Just like the reports?" Last I heard, Nessie was supposed to be a plesiosaur kind of thing. That looks like a giant albino squid. Of course, a giant albino squid could well live in Loch Ness - there's no less evidence for that than there is for the plesiosaur, after all.

(And that's not a penguin, it's a plesiosaur with a grin.)

Welcome

That's not Nessie

Its the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Anonymous Coward

If...

If we ended the lives of all the bellend Sun readers like Jason Cooke, 25, from Nottingham and dumped the bodies in Loch Ness, would the floating corpses spell out "STUPID" when viewed from the air?

Enquiring minds demand answers.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Idiots

I checked Nessie's shared calendar, and it stated that she was visiting Norway that week, so she wasn't even in the loch when that photo was taken. (You do know that it is connected to both the Irish and North Seas?)

FAIL

Isn't that a boat?

Nessie is a bit to the left

FAIL

El Reg has goofed here

The thing with the arrow pointing at it is a BOAT.

The supposed image of Nessie is to the left and slightly up and looks like two large wakes which are not caused by anything visible in the image.

You've cocked up and so now I'm cancelling my subscription!

Nessie was actually spotted for real last week at a BBQ. Elvis was singing as Michael Jackson and Lord Lucan took rides around the garden on her back...

Haha....

Even worse that the guard...."Researcher Adrian Shine, of the Loch Ness Project, told the paper: "This is really intriguing. It needs further study.""

Err.....save your time and money mate....it's a boat.

Not Nessie, but much scarier!

Looks more like a squid than a plesiosaur: every time I saw Nessie she was a dark colour that wouldn't show up on a Google Earth photo very well.

'Course, it could be a rare albino Nessie...

Or worse (looking squid-like) ... no that's too horrible to contemplate...

Really, it just looks like a pale-coloured motor boat with a couple of waves of breaking wash trailing behind it.

Coat

bullseye

In the words of the great Jim Bowen: "It's a speedboat"

Boat

Boat.

I've said 'boat' in my head too many times and now the word's lost its meaning.

Boat. Boat. Boat? Boat. Booooooooat. Boaaaat. Boat. Nope. Nothing.

I want to go home.

Happy

Lock Ness Easter Bunny

There is no monster. It's a bunny wabbit.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/R0IUGnQhT9cp0bxWeD6RHQ?feat=directlink

I'd rather believe

in the existence of Nessie and flying saucers than in the existence of one iota of common sense in the whole of Whitehall.

After all, Nessie is seen more often.

Thumb Down

oh noes! monsters!

check out the Thames,and other popular bodies of water there are some really big "monsters" in there, they must be attracted by all the humans.

Paris Hilton

Bat-eyed more like

With observation skills like that I bet when this security guard isnt misinterpreting aerial photos he spends his time harrassing "terrorist" photographers while right in front of his nose men wearing black & white stripey tops & eye masks load whatever he's supposed to be guarding into bags labelled "swag".

Paris, because she can tell the the difference between a monster tentacle and a boatload of seamen.

FAIL

Welcome...?

I, for one, (don't) welcome our brain-dead, blind, tabloid-thumbing, retarded security guards who can't tell a shitty little boat from a (supposedly) bloody great big aquatic dinosaur. After all, why would a boat be out on a loch....? Twat.

I really hope, for the sake of humanity, that this man hasn't yet had the opportunity to procreate, nor will he ever. Why is the world so full of total morons!?

Anonymous Coward

Not Nessie

That's not Nessie, that's The Spaghetti Monster. This is Nessie: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=57.378094~-4.343183&style=a&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Thumb Up

Damn right its a boat

But you guys all missed the fact that nessie was driving (piloting) it :)

Alan

Stop

IT'S

A

BOAT

FFS!

Someone should've gone to Specsavers!

Anonymous Coward

Could it be...

A giant mutant sperm, perhaps?

Silver badge
Coat

The Flying Spaghetti Monster...?

... shurely that's its cousin, the Swimming Spaghetti Monster!

Silver badge
Coat

You guys are all wrong

Its white--its in the water--IT MUST BE MOBY DICK!!! That crafty whale is clearly taking a shortcut between the Irish and North Seas by going through the Loch. The fact that he made it into Britain undetected would be in keeping with the usual level of professional competence I keep hearing attributed to Her Majesty's immigration officials.

You can mail me the requisite $20 Spanish gold piece to me care of Ishmael, Spouter's Inn, Nantucket Massachusetts, United States of America.

Mines the oilskin jacket draped over the casket-shaped lifebuoy

Bing (Crosby) maps FAIL!

"This is Nessie: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=57.378094~-4.343183&style=a&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1"

Ok so just for the heck of it I checked it out, Bing Maps, hah. I think its called Bing maps because the (low resolution) maps were relevant when Bing Crosby was a big star, now they just show old roads that either no longer exist or have been replaced by 6 lane highways, so its hardly going to be a useful tool to spot anything that happened in, say, the last 30 years!

Clearly a sperm

Anonymous coward is correct - it is clearly a giant sperm - although sadly extra flagella are a sure sign of genetic defects. Makes me wonder what the Scots are up to in the lake. Had the same problem with a hot tub in a condo I used to live in - always closed off when the sperm count got too high....

WTF?

Progress

Clearly Nessie has moved into the 20th (or 21st) century and embraced fossil fuel powered combustion engine based outboard motors. Smart.

The fact that the bloke is a total dick is obvious. The fact that the SUN published it, tells you all you need to know, about it, and its readership.

So, beloved El Reg, why did you go with it? Honestly, can't we just ignore these idiots, maybe they'll go away?

Flame

FOOLS!

Der.....

It is clearly the monster - whoever says it is a boat is talking out of their ass. Everybody KNOWS the monster is REAL, boats are NOT REAL.

Those pointing out is a boat really need to get their eyes examined....

But we are surrounded by REAL monsters. You only have to look.

Those Reg readers interested in cryptozoology might also be interested in two nests of mighty silver birds that were recently discovered by a Scotsman visiting the south of England, one near Gatwick in Sussex, the other near Heathrow.

Black Helicopters

Its a weather balloon

You saw nothing. go back to sleep.

This topic is closed for new posts.