Italy's anti-trust watchdog is investigating Google's treatment of local newspapers on the Italian versions of its news site and search engine. On Thursday, as reported by Reuters, the country's competition authority announced its Google probe after a complaint from the Italian Federation of Newspaper Editors (FIEG). According …
Italy... Has a Competition Authority?
Of all the world's ironies...
could it be..
that since they are not on Google news, their click through rates have fallen through the floor and the search algorithm correctly lists them but much much further down the results?
Nah ... the Italians would never accept a rational argument like that!
Wot no Berlusconi mention?
Surely mentioning the man who owns the Italian media should be compulsory in an article related to Italian media?
Even better than that!
Italy has a Privacy Authority too.
Re: Sorry that handle is already taken
Damn. Beat me to it :)
Maybe it just works the other way around to all other competition Authorities. Their job must be to eliminate ALL competition from the market save those controlled by Silvio "Where'd I leave my pants" Berlusconi.
I don't see a problem
Italian newspapers have websites, which have to be paid for by advertising.
Google ripping the news from their website and showing on its pages doesn't pay the italian newspaper.
But Google displaying the news as a search result, DOES encourage people to view the news and enable the italian newspapers to get paid.
- Pic Forget the $2499 5K iMac – today we reveal Apple's most expensive computer to date
- RUMPY PUMPY: Bone says humans BONED Neanderthals 50,000 years B.C.
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Review Vulture trails claw across Lenovo's touchy N20p Chromebook