back to article Cray nabs PathScale compilers from SiCortex

Upstart supercomputer maker SiCortex today sold its PathScale compilers to rival Cray for an undisclosed sum, as its backers try to recoup some of the money they pumped into the struggling HPC company. This marks the second time in recent months that Cray has benefited from the demise of its peers. As El Reg reported in May, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GPL

So these are GPL compilers being 'sold' ?????

2. Matt Reilly 1

it isn't the GPL stuff...

First, a disclaimer -- I was a founder and Chief Engineer at SiCortex, but not intimately involved in either the management of the compiler group or the company at the time it was shut down (I left in January).

My understanding is that there are components that are not part of the compiler suite itself that were part of the Pathscale IP. These may have included things like compiler test infrastructure and other QA bits and pieces.

In general, this is very good news. The compiler will live on with a commercial sponsor (that was SiCortex' aim when the company bought the compiler team in the first place).

That's my understanding, as imperfect as it may be.

matt

SiCortex engineer -- July 2002 to January 2009.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Matt

It is a good thing that the compiler lives on, with some decent engineering force behind it :-)

Just pointing out that the article reads "Cray bought a compiler and then will open-source it", where really it was GPL all along - TFA is rather misleading.

J

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like