back to article Finger crossing won't lure iPhone coders to Windows Mobile

Apple will sell more than 82 million iPhones in 2012, teaming up with RIM and Palm in an industry that will ship 500 million plus smartphones that year and leave Microsoft out in the cold. The trio will forge a "new world order" as smart phones become the next wave in computing according to a research report from RBC Capital …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Bashing Microsoft / Boosting Apple

Windows Mobile has been crap for ages but the licensing has be attractive enough to encourage manufacturers. Microsoft won't be that happy about Apple's continued success of it the "i" product line but is probably significantly more worried about HTC's Android release. HTC did more than any other company to demonstrate that, despite their drawbacks, Windows Mobile devices could even be cool. And now they're off to Android. But Windows Mobile has never been important to Microsoft for revenue. For years revenue has been "Office, Offifce and Office" which is why they are probably pouring resources into the online version of it.

The iPhone, interestingly enough, may offer Microsoft the same kind of chance that NT eventually offered IBM and that Google has been so successful - a great platform for its other "assets" which is probably why the Bing wrapper is now available for Objective C.

As for market share - Vista has been an utter disaster for Microsoft and they still own the world. Windows 7 is shaping up very nicely for them. Apple is still growing but if those developing markets you mention are so important then the free software stack is the one to watch.

For consumers it's nice to see a bit of competition for once.

Paris Hilton

App store (extended)

But first!

OT: I recall hearing, reading, seeing (or perhaps some combination of up to all three) that the human genetic code has very limited variance. I think the value quoted was 2% variance.

Now, for example, compare that to dog. From tiny Chihuahua to Irish Deer Hound.

And it would appear that some think the 2% variance in human genetic codes is partly due to some catastrophic event or events in the past that seriously restricted the genes available.

Me, I have another take: the observable human practice of intolerance with anything perceptively different seems to be swiftly followed by a desire to annihilate it.

Now for IT:

Why can't Apple extend iTunes and the App store to others?

Gates Halo

Bankers - what do they know?

Given the current situation we're in.

Only thing I have to say on this article is my third windows mobile is in the post, expected tomorrow - after being a fan of my first (HTC Prophet) and absolutely love my second (HTC Kaiser/TyTnII ) the Rhodium (Touch Pro 2) that should be landing tomorrow has got me all kinds of giddy.

I'm not tied to O2 for a stupid length of time on an expensive contract and all three phones put together has cost me less than the cheapest iPhone.

I've used an iPhone and hated the "experience" - maybe I'm odd and wrong, but I love HTC's take on WinMo :D

Silver badge

"Into irrelevance"?

"Into irrelevance" suggests that Windows was at one time relevant. I doubt that.

Even though MS threw money at WinCE/Windows Mobile, and have not made any money from it, they never really got any significant traction.

Jobs Horns

Sorry Steve but WinDOS just isn't a phone O/S

I have stuck with WinDOS mobile for quite a few years now, attracted initially by the integration with Exchange, the crapness of everything Nokia (except the brick) and out of patience with Sorry Eriksson. What have I learnt? Windoze mobile is just like Windows in many ways;

1) It freezes up or hangs at moments of its own choosing, generally chosen for my maximum inconvenience.

2) It can't do more than one thing properly, play an MP3 whilst doing email? Most of the time but...

3) Windows is not a real time operating system, when a phone call arrives, stop doing whatever Windows crap you are doing and let me answer the fecking call.

4) You have to install loads of third party utilities to make it work the way it should have out of the box

5) You get fleeced by MS who want money for an 'upgrade' to a version of the OS that doesn't even fix the bugs in the version you already paid for (working A2DP anyone?)

(1, 2, 3) are symptoms of the real stopper, WinDOS is never going to be a real time OS and HTC are never going to ship a handset with enough processor / RAM to let Windows Mobile XXIV run properly as a phone and I don't see Cray entering the smartphone market.

DT

Yawn

Complaining about the donination of Kang when you clearly love Kodos! Same shit, different suit, must be nice to get paid to troll, I'm surprised you didn't mention the zune!

Perhaps M$ should make a locked down mobile operating system that only allows "approved" programs bought an outlet from which they take a cut...

FAIL

Just in case anyone missed it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo

I just love this clip. A perfect example of denial... it ain't just a river in Egypt ya know.

Why no dancing monkey boy icon? I suppose the fail one is basically the same thing.

jsk

82 million/year?

Since AT&T only has, what, 79 million subscribers total in the US, can I assume that this 82 million iPhones a year must include what, a massive rollout in China?!?

FAIL

Could it have anything to do with the fact...

...that Windwoes Mobile is a steaming pile of fresh dog turd?

Ty
Jobs Halo

hehe

wakey wakey M$ zealots. You are on a road to nowhere.

Stop your whining and get a Mac.

Ugly Microsoft

Microsoft should pay HTC whatever they want to make TouchFlo the de-facto Windows Mobile GUI.

Everytime I'm bounced back into the Windows Mobile interface I'm left just stunned, wondering what on earth they were thinking that they allow such an ugly, primitive system to stay in place.

I'm in love with my Touch HD (so superior to an iPhone) but Microsoft are the weak link here.

Anonymous Coward

"Why can't Apple extend iTunes and the App store to others?"

Because that wouldn't sell any Apple hardware, which is how Apple makes money.

@ DT: an iPhone will work perfectly well without any additional apps. Whether or not to buy apps, or indeed an entirely different phone, is a choice for the customer.

Thumb Down

Apple happy to piss off developers

Apple is it's own worse nightmare, it tries to create a massive platform and then ties it down with draconian rules and pisses off the very people it is trying to attract.

If you are into writing fart "apps" for the stupid then it is an ideal platform, anything else seems to get rejected.

Jobs Horns

Would the Apple fanbois?

Ever stfu with their endless arse kissing? It took iPhone THREE generations to acquire features that have been in lesser phones for years. It was hardly a very "smart" phone and just recently its security was criticised as being a joke, and its encryption was found to decrypt itself willingly in the hands of a cracker with some simple software.

I have never used Windows Mobile, so I can't comment on how good it is, but I get sick of this inane prattle from Apple fans. The success of the iPhone, (and most Apple products for that matter) comes down to marketing and an incessantly gullible and vapid crowd of posers.

The iPhone may have innovated by having the app store and having all apps in one place, but most iPhone users are unaware that apps were available for other phones for years before Apple decided to catch up. And when they did decide to have a go at the market they did it in their usual style of obsessive control over the whole system, screwing over developers and customers alike. If MS had tried this the shit would have hit the fan. When Apple do it, it is discreetly ignored by the fans who put their fingers in their ears and whistle as if nothing untoward was happening.

Articles like this aren't worth even the few bytes of memory they take up on the server.

Headmaster

@jsk

jsk said: "Since AT&T only has, what, 79 million subscribers total in the US, can I assume that this 82 million iPhones a year must include what, a massive rollout in China?!?"

2 points:

1) Population of the US = 0.3 billion. Population of rest of world = 6.7 billion. Just because AT&T has the monopoly on iPhones in the US does not mean they have a monopoly anywhere else. I assume you have heard of the concept of 'the world outside the US'. Let me assure you it does exist and they do buy iPhones.

2) Yes there will be an iPhone rollout in China. When is the subject of conjecture, but do try to keep up. Example: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/13/chiphone_in_september/

Jobs Halo

What happened?

Microsoft is a software company. They should see the IPhone and any other hardware as an opportunity to sell "Microsoft Apps" Guess they are fresh out of ideas?

I bet Bill Gates reads the news and thinks WTF is Balmer doing to my company?

Silver badge

Just one question

Ever since Ballmer, Microsoft has gone from headache to disaster to debacle.

Why is Ballmer the Monkey Boy still at the helm of Microsoft ? What on God's green Earth has him glued to the command chair like that ?

In any other company, a failure the size of Vista would have seen the CEO leave to spend more time with his family, and yet Ballmer is still spouting nonsense in the name of Microsoft. Does he have the shareholders locked up or something ? Zombified ? Hooked on drugs ?

What is it going to take to get rid of him ?

I think we should be told.

@jsk

82 million WORLDWIDE. The world is a lot bigger than the US. Get a globe and have a look if you don't believe me.

Silver badge

Apple? Customer friendly?

Is that right?

What are phone apps anyway? Most useful features for a phone are already present, aren't they? Like being a phone?

OK, so there are some useful things...games I guess. Haven't they been on phones for ages?

Grenade

re: hehe

>wakey wakey M$ zealots. You are on a road to nowhere.

>Stop your whining and get a Mac.

Oh. my. god.

Where is webster phreaky when you need him!

Who buys from MS Markeplace?

The bulk of applications for Windows Mobile are from sites that have no MS affiliation. The idea of a closed market, locked into the manufacturer maybe OK for Apple users but it is not what Windows Mobile users are used to. I couldn't give a shit if MS (or Apple) has approved some app for sale and makes something out of the sale - I like the freedom to install what I like from whatever souce. It is the same woth Nokia and Symbian - Nokia is not the only game in town.

If the Apple's idea of controlling everything is so good, why were people so quick to devise ways to break away from such restrictions?

Where MS has really missed the point is that they have not really improved the user interface enough, despite the obvious benefits of the iPhone UI.

Thumb Down

Give us free tools again

Microsoft had the right idea a few years ago in giving away WinMobile development tools, but now they apparently want to fail by making the tools expensive, and out of the reach of bright but poor independent developers. The sheer idiocy of this is astonishing. Whether the lure of WinMobile+free tools is now enough given its trendier competitors, I don't know, but they're not even giving themselves a chance to compete on apps. Perhaps with WinMobile 7 they'll bring back free tools.

Is this phone app mania just a short-lived fad? It'll be interesting to see whether apps are going to be a critical factor for people choosing their phones.

Anonymous Coward

i may be wrong

but doesn't iphone app development require that you use the, mac only, iphone sdk. And windows mobile development probably requires the windows only visual studio.

looks like a pretty mutually exclusive set of developers to me.

Pint

@windywoo

"It took iPhone THREE generations to acquire features that have been in lesser phones for years"

It took all the other providers a lot longer. You have a short memory.

Also what you seem to miss is the WHY iPhone users on The Reg are so animated about their phones. It is not for any Apple/Jobs obsession but more because the device works well and is a pleasure to use. I can't think of a single piece of consumer electronics I have purchased in the last 10 years that has been anywhere near as intuitive and well designed.

I don't think any iPhone fans on the reg think that many of the apps on the app store are especially innovative. Most will have been developed off the back of a similar offering but the buying/installing experience is a doddle and usability is generally extremely high compared to their predecessors on other phones. The average consumer was never going to go hunting around on obscure WinMo sites to install apps on their phone. Techies maybe.

My point is, yes it's a smart phone, yes smart phones have been done before but Apple really nailed it and that very rarely happens in consumer electronics. That's why there is such an avid fan base.

N2

Fairly obvious really

There are more 'consumers' who dont want to have to fuck around with an over complicated lot of bollox than those that take some sadistic pleasure in doing so.

Boffin

What's the alternative to a Windows Mobile?

I love(d) my Windows Mobile, and the one before it, but your article is spot-on: "fun" is not part of the equation. In fact, sometimes the GUI is downright slow and objectionable. BUT it is flexible enough to be able to install and run software that makes iPhone users look on in grudging admiration ... so long as I don't let them try to operate the less-than-intuitive interface themselves.

iPhone wins every competition on looking good and providing a pleasant UI. But so what? If I'm limited to what Uncle Steve says I can do with it, it's only half a smartphone and I'll be ice-skating to France before I get one. Yet the Windows Mobile handles like a racing Trabant, even if (and sometimes perhaps, because) you can bolt on whatever the hell you like.

So, we have Form vs Functionality. iPhone vs WM. Is there nothing out there that can provide both?

Gates Horns

iPhone is not a Mac

but Windows Mobile is pretending to be a PC.

The Psion range were good PDA's but the Windows based PDA's were clueless by comparison. All that CPU power and bright screen and lot's or storage and still they were horrible to use. I could never understand how people could find them useful. I put the SD card from my camera in a top of the range HP PDA and it really struggled to display the pictures. What a useless brick. To top it all they crash and lose all your data on a regular basis.

Apple simply started from scratch with new hardware and a new aproach, not trying to make a desktop operating system fit in your pocket. What Apple have done is really not that amazing, they were just bold enough to do it and tenatious enough to get it done right.

Anyone not in awe of technology can see what's right and what's wrong with PDA's and Mobile Phones. It was obvious that a camera is a good idea and that the view phone is a bad idea.

Look at the graphics on a Windows PDA and that of an iPod Touch or iPhone. The Windows device can hardly keep up with the very basic opening of windows, where as the iPod can scroll and resize as smooth as angel delight making it far easier to get along with. Pretty obvious you should never over burden your hardware with bloated software, but Microsoft have been doing that forever.

Example, P4 with 512 RAM, it runs great with Micro2003, a cut down pirate windows 2003 distro, it's a dream to use. Similar PC with 2GB RAM and Vista, it's just horrible.

MS have choked our computers to death and are now choking themselves.

Bronze badge
Badgers

Yawn

"Net Applications shows Windows to be drifting slowly downward, from 94.88 per cent last September to 93.04 this July"

Wake me up when Mac or Linux have 30% market share.

I believe Mr Twain would have something to say about the demise of Microsoft.

@Anonymous Coward @7:02

'If you are into writing fart "apps" for the stupid then it is an ideal platform, anything else seems to get rejected.'

You godda be kidding right?

50,000 apps, at the last count, in the store of which about 10 are fart apps, which works out that 99.98% apps that are accepted are NOT fart apps.

I bet you'll end up getting an iPhone in the next couple of years as the darned thing eventually wears down everyone's resistance.

Anonymous Coward

Microsoft play the long game

They'll slowly integrate the devices with your enterprise systems. They're competing with RIM more than Apple and Palm.

Paris Hilton

@jsk

You remember that there are other regions on earth than the US and other carriers then AT&T?

Silver badge

@windywoo

It mightx have taken Apple three generations to get the iPhone to where it is, but the important point is that it is now there and is selling. Windows Mobile has been around a lot longer and strangely has failed to progress the same way.

I happen to dislike the iPhone experience, but I dislike WinMo even more. However, Apple are masters at providing a good user experience for consumers. Techies get annoyed at the restrictions imposed, but there's a lot less techies than general consumers so it's not a problem to Apple. It's like a supermarket with everythign in one place compared to a town high street where you have to visit each store individually - people complain about the supermarket and the effect it's having on the little independent stores but they still shop there.

Perhaps when Android has had chance to work out the wrinkles I'll switch, but for now I'm afraid I'm using S60 because it isn't an iPhone and it isn't WinMo and yet provides the level of smartphone functionality that I need.

WTF?

@windywoo

Quickly @DT - “...programs bought an outlet from which they take a cut...” Don’t you think that Handango already do?

@windywoo - You just don't get it do you? I'd argue that the majority of people that have bought the iPhone aren't Apple fanbois, just regular consumers that have bought a well marketed a eminently useable product. Apple built on the iPod line successfully. How many normal consumers do you know that have an iPod of some description? It's one of the biggest selling products of all time, up there with walkmans! You are quite right to point out that it took 3 OS revision to get it up to scratch - to date Microsoft have officially released 21 (including the recent RTM of Win "7") versions of Windows, and Windows 7 is *nearly* there. The average consumer, who really matters; not the commentards that pontificate on the same old shit day in, day out, clearly isn't interested in endless spec lists, they just want something that is pretty and is easy to use. What's wrong with that? Nerds like you never learn. The average consumer doesn't care what a narcissistic little prick like you thinks. Why are you so upset that this product and company is successful? You need help mate.

"The success of the iPhone, (and most Apple products for that matter) comes down to marketing and an incessantly gullible and vapid crowd of posers." - Fuck you. Generally people that say that are arrogant and have an anti-whoever agenda. Yes, marketing has a large part to play - Apple have recently got quite good at it. That's part of what business is about - it goes towards the one and only goal of any business. TO MAKE MONEY. Some of their marketing has very publicly bitten them on the arse. That's life. The product is still selling extremely well despite this. To most people, that would be an indication of a successful product, which, incase you haven't noticed, it is!

"The iPhone may have innovated by having the app store and having all apps in one place, but most iPhone users are unaware that apps were available for other phones for years before Apple decided to catch up..." Whose fault is that? Let me get this straight - you are pissed off at Apple and it's customers because the App Store has been a runaway success? That's just idiotic, frankly. If Nokia or Microsoft or the Mobile Operators had spent the marketing money that Apple obviously have on their App Store and made it as easy to use and put apps on the device, then perhaps we wouldn't be having this "discussion". Android has an "App Store" of sorts. It's not particularly easy to navigate, and there isn't nearly as much choice, but I hear there are some nifty apps on the platform. Having previously owned both WinMo “Smart”phones and Blackberrys, I feel well placed to comment on this issue. The problem that both handsets, too an admittedly lesser degree with the Blackberry, have had is that the majority of software was either extremely buggy or ridiculously expensive, and usually both. Neither publicise the fact that market places exist either. Perhaps they should take a leaf out of Apples marketing manual.

"And when they did decide to have a go at the market they did it in their usual style of obsessive control over the whole system, screwing over developers and customers alike." - Apple have made some really dumb decisions about apps for entirely spurious reasons and yes, there are a lot of seemingly pointless apps, but as a consumer, I don’t feel “screwed over”. They’re have also been a number of stories about disgruntled developers feeling hard done by, some even not receiving prompt payment. That is wrong and Apple were rightly torn a new one by the press and commentards alike. I’m confident though that if a survey was undertaken a significant majority would say that they are satisfied with the products and services offered.

“If MS had tried this the shit would have hit the fan. When Apple do it, it is discreetly ignored by the fans who put their fingers in their ears and whistle as if nothing untoward was happening.” There is always one! That’s purely speculative, and smacks of a pointless bitterness. Get over it and yourself. Microsoft and Apple are both big and wealthy enough to look after their own interests. Being a ‘fan’ of either one is futile. They are both after your hard earned readies. I, as an owner of a Mac and an iPhone, am sick of reading some of the vitriol that cowards hiding behind pseudonyms or AC like you levee at me because of my choices as a consumer. I don’t pontificate about the products. I like them because they work *for me*, and if asked for an opinion, I give it. You might not agree. Get over it and grow the fuck up.

“Articles like this aren't worth even the few bytes of memory they take up on the server.” Everyone is entitled to their opinion, mate.

Paris Hilton

Fail

My Jobs Device is superior to all your computer LOL!!!!!11111one

Sent from my iPhone

The developing world will have a big part in deciding where things go, from now

Microsoft uderestimated the importance of the mobile market because they underestimated its potential size. They wrote it off as unprofitable, and something their competitors could mess with, but throughout Africa and Asia, there are people who are going directly online via mobile phones. Africa’s mobile industry is expanding at nearly double the global rate. The phone is their first experience of the internet, and so the internet is their first experience of computing. They've skipped that whole tiresome sit-up-and-beg desktop experience, altogether. As such, the Windows Mobile experience is perhaps even less compelling - not just because cost, simplicity, and reliability count for much more in these markets, but because there is no foundation of Wiindows Desktop experience to build user expectations on. Not only do these people not have a desktop computer, but they may learn never to need one.

Silver badge

Be fair to Ballmer

He was commenting on a $600 handset when the rest were free, and obviously trying to influence its future. I'm sure he must really have been aware that Apple could drop the price later if it needed to and would probably do really well in the consumer space, but what would he gain by saying that? If nothing else, dropping the price by almost a third after less than ten weeks suggests that he wasn't too far off on Apple's initial (announced) plans.

@windywoo

"And when they did decide to have a go at the market they did it in their usual style of obsessive control over the whole system, screwing over developers and customers alike."

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "Screwing over developers and customer alike"

Point 1. If by 'screwing developers' you mean the commission they take on sales - well I for one would willingly pay 30%. That's a fantastic commission. My photo agency takes 55% on sales - and that's fairly common.

Point 2. How is the customer being screwed? As a 'customer' I haven't felt that I've been screwed at all - unless the app doesn't do what it says on the tin - but it's the developer not Apple that writes on the tin.

Grenade

@Simon Banyard

Wow, he wound you up a treat, didn't he? I stopped reading at "little prick" - if you're hurling personal abuse then you're wrong, no matter what your opinion is.

It's not just this fellow either. Why is it that criticism of Apple evokes such strong emotions? It's almost like it's seen as blasphemy. One would get less response insulting Islam in the middle of Tehran.

Unhappy

QED?

I think it fair to propose all of above is taken as proof that 2% variance in human gene pool is a self infliction rather than result of some global catastrophe.

Anonymous Coward

Blasphemy

If people criticise Microsoft, nobody cares. It's like criticising Burger King or Ryanair. They're easy targets. Lowest-common denominator stuff. Half-arsed mass market material. It's not news.

If people criticise Apple, all hell breaks out. Apple customers tend to be enthusiastic about their purchases. Perhaps the company is doing something right?

Silver badge

@AC responding to Simon Banyard

Windywoo's post also hurled personal abuse, the only difference is that he chose to do it without expletives. I think you're being biased in saying that only criticism of Apple evokes string emotions — it's actually either criticism or praise that subsequently seems to lead to someone shouting at someone else.

Vocal minorities who take offence at anything are a feature of the world and of the Internet. If you read mainly tech sites, you'll mainly see the pro and anti Apple minorities. No doubt there's a forum somewhere where someone is wondering what it is about criticising Judge Reinhold that evokes such strong emotions as to be almost like blasphemy.

Troll

Look!

Everyone should just use J2ME and then all phones will be equal!!! >_>

Microsoft Tactics

Microsoft will follow the 3 E's

Embrace the new technology that is now out there. Usually try to buy the competition.

Extend the technology do something a bit more than what is available. if they couldn't buy out the competition.

Extinguish the competitors by out pricing them. If they can't be bought out.

Meanwhile Apple have moved on to the next big thing.

Never getting Apple

Why do some people say that they will NEVER buy anything Apple?

If Apple bought out the best ever PC running Windows and the critter actually worked far better than a non-Apple PC I have a feeling that these NEVER people will stick to their guns and not buy one, obviously cutting something off from the front of their face.

What sort of people are these NEVER people? Would I recognise one in the street.

It's all a bit odd.

Joke

@ Jessica Werkz

> You godda be kidding right?

> 50,000 apps, at the last count, in the store of which about 10 are fart apps, which works out

> that 99.98% apps that are accepted are NOT fart apps.

Yeah the other 99.98% are flashlight apps and a ton of e-books.

Happy

Having developed for winMo

I can say it's stupidly straightforward if you're already do .net development. Once you get used to the mobile SDK then you can (as with most C# apps, I find [and I'm originally a C++/Win32 coder) code what you want in a relatively short space of time. We had a client app talking to our legacy server (with an in-house messaging protocol) within a day, and most of the time was spent getting the UI right. I would say that the only painful thing I've experienced is setting up the UI.

Compared to other phones, the fact that we could get the PDA on our VPN with little fuss, meant that it was even easier to test with our dev server. I'd write an app for it any day. Having played around with the Nokia SDKs, if it wasn't for Java it'd be all right. I don't hate Java as a language, but it's a nightmare getting an IDE that's of the quality of VS (when using C#, it's still a bit flaky with native C++), even though I find NetBeans reasonably good. As for the iPhone, I'll probably never know, as I've no need to develop for it (and no wish to develop in Objective-C), and if I ever develop anything of worth for WinMo or Symbian I can quite happily sell it independently for whatever price I want, through whatever means I want. Oh, and I'll get all the money for it as well.

As far as the iPhone is concerned itself, it's clearly a fantastic success, but the majority of people who bought it because it's cool, not because of ease-of-use, but because of marketing, and little features that make it look cool. Ease-of-use is something that you just expect from Apple. However, it's still a waste of money when compared to equivalent phones.

@Julian Smart

My thoughts exactly. Although I never got much further than tweaking the example code provided with the old devkit (back then I had a SPV E200, which wouldn't have let me run the sort of mobile apps I'd have been interested in trying to create), it at least gave me the ability to try my hand at writing mobile apps with no financial outlay. Now, with several more years of programming experience under my belt, and a WinMo device in my pocket which is more than capable of running the stuff I'd like to try out, I find myself unable to do so unless I first stump up the cash for a non-Express edition of Visual Studio. And that's not going to happen.

C'mon MS, you've already worked your way into the good books of quite a few desktop coders with your VS Express releases (myself included - I'm still primarily a Delphi user because of the years of experience I've built up with it through the Personal editions, but I find myself turning to VC# more and more these days), isn't it time you did the same for mobile coders too?

Stop

Defending Apple

I think the main reason you'll see greater defence of Apple than anything else is simply because some weird people feel the need to tell world+family how much they dislike Apple and won't buy their products. No attacks, there would be no defence. When an article is posted about the new Sony, Nokia or whatever you don't get a torrent of abuse from iPhone owners saying how evil, horrible and wicked those companies are do you? In fact most other phone or computer reviews/articles you barely get a comment at all. Possibly as someone who has no intention or desire to buy the latest Nokia won't read the article in the first place. If you don't want an iPhone, fine, we get it, STOP READING THE SODDING ARTICLES. Sheesh.

So to sum up, the day the people who have a strange and frankly quite scary hatred of a technology company and its products stop posting their hate ridden postings then perhaps you'll see fewer attempts to defend Apple as there simply won't be the need.

A mixed bag..

Microsoft may not be dominant. There again, nothing else seems to have that truly overwhelming dominance either, which as far as I'm concerned is a great thing.

Half the problems we have are that MS dominance in the market has given a huge target for attackers to aim at, and no great incentive to innovate (which is why we had Vista, the Windows ME of today).

The day any one of these achieves complete dominance, I'll worry, as then you'll have one interface and way of doing things, and that's your lot. Use it or don't join the game.

Personally, I really enjoy my iPhone; second Apple product I've had (got a Mac over 10 years ago and it was good, but ended up with PCs as the main boxes instead), but the iPhone experience was far superior (purely subjectively) in 'feel' between my older phones and this than the experience from PC to Mac.

Hopefully they'll all have a share of the winnings, and keep the competition and innovation fierce (much like it was in the heyday of home computers back in the early 80s, before the PC saturated everything).

@ThomH Re: be fair to Ballmer

"He was commenting on a $600 handset when the rest were free"

Nah, loads of phones have come out at similar prices. The Motorola RAZR cost $500 at launch and it wasn't even a smartphone.

Do a Google shopping search for "smartphone" and sort by price from high to low ..

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums