Feeds

back to article Blade Runner tops sci-fi movie poll

Blade Runner has clinched the top spot in a poll on the greatest sci-fi film of all time. The 1982 cult classic, directed by Ridley Scott and based on a novel by Philip K Dick, won the top plaudit in a poll run by Totalscifionline.com. Blade Runner flopped commercially on its initial release and received only lukewarm reviews, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Bah!

Bah!

That list sucks. Where is "Mega shark vs giant octopus"?

Heart

Moon

The new Sam Rockwell film "Moon" is destined to be a Sci-Fi classic as well.

Blade Runner will always be first for me though. The new Final Cut is excellent.

Anything but that one with the voiceover. *shudder*

Silver badge

Star Wars, Planet of the Apes and E.T.

...are regarded sci-fi?! They are nothing but modern fairy tales.

EA.

Silver badge

Dark Star?

I would have though that Dark Star might have made it. It never made much sense, but then nor does life in the 21st century.

Alien

All in the past

What is more concerning is that there hasn't been a quality film made in the last 25 years that could touch any of those films.....

Flame

cut-schmut

No voice-over - no atmosphere. It's a cultural reference and it works (even if it was added by the studio afterwards).

IDST

;-)

Coat

Congrats Blade Runner

I purchased the box set therefore I do not have to choose.

yes...the one with the Voight-Kampf sticking out....

Anonymous Coward

solaris?

i am suprised that anyone in the west even knew 1972 version much less the book itself

WTF?

Missing.

Darkstar?

Saturn 3 etc

What, no love for Bad Lieutenant and Spartacus in one film? Silent Running is a bit hard going. A Boy and His Dog is missing too. It has Don "Miami Vice" Johnson. And that one with the giant beetles and that funny minibus/APV thing.;

Thumb Up

Got to be..

the directors cut.

Thumb Down

E fracking T ??

this choice alone invalidates the entire survey

bleh!

Pirate

What....?

No Logan's Run or Soylent Green?

And how can any list claiming to be a Top 10 Sci-Fi list not contain an entry for Spaceballs?

Happy

Blimey...

...a sci-fi survey I pretty much agree with.

Thumb Up

It's ok John Leyden

I would have voted for Silent Running too.

Silver badge
Alien

Silent Running

Better sci-fi than ET.

ET just made gazungas of $$$$$$$

Oh, I see....

Silver badge
Alien

Did they forget

'Total Recall'?

And what about 'Dark Star', my personal favourite, complete with cheesy C&W backing?

Gold badge
FAIL

No "Forbidden Planet" in the top 10?

Bunch of bloody Philistines. Hurts me to say it, as they quite correctly picked "Blade Runner" (hopefully the later cut without the god-awful "film noir" voiceover and the crappy "happy ending" sequence) as the No. 1, but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

Oh, and you too for failing to mention this as an overlooked classic.

Thumb Up

Star Wars (1977)

Where did they drag up the same list of sci-fi movies?

I much prefer Empire Strikes Back to Star Wars. Any fan will tell you the same.

Blade Runner though - good film! Especially the full version (directors cut)

WTF?

Hmmmm

Tom Cruise vehicle "Minority Report" is on there, but "Hardware" is missing. Meh. Good to see dark City made the list though.

Unhappy

pah

dont people realise that Terminator just doesnt make sense?

I'm all for artistic licence and that but really

number 7 indeed..........

Big Brother

oldies

So there has not been a good Sc-Fi classic since 1984? Yes I think so...

No need to include 1984, as its happening as we watch.

Terminator

It says something...

It says something about modern movies when the most recent on the list is 1984 The Terminator!

Though I am surprised that The Matrix is missing.

Thumb Down

Arse

Blade Runner is the movie that people SAY is their favourite when they want to look intelligent or sophisticated.

In reality, it wasn't that good.

Anonymous Coward

Silent Running is remarkably boring, thoughgh

if I want to watch a man go slowly mad while playing cards and pool with deaf mutes, I can go down to my local, which has the advantage of also serving booze.

Also, the plot is bollocks.

The Quiet Man

Starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara - but what far-flung planet did it take place on, in what distant future did it happen? The most overlooked science fiction film of all time.

You'd have to wonder what sort of po-faced bores would nominate such drudgery as 2001, The Day the Earth Stood Still, or even Solaris instead of the likes of Forbidden Planet, Dark Star, Mars Attacks...

Happy

Where is "battlefield earth".....

or...."the last starfighter"?????

Thumb Up

Great movie.......

And for once I agree with a sci-fi poll with some proper movies on it.

Mine in the one with the Voight-Kampf machine in the pocket.

Thumb Up

Which cut? Anything but the original.

Never seen the Final Cut actually, but did see both the original and the '92 Director's Cut in the theater. It's been so long that I don't actually remember, but I think I fell asleep during the original.

Aliens

It's my favourite film and therefore the list is a travesty for omitting it. ;)

Terminator

Let's face it ...

... it really depends who you ask.

A link at the end of the story shows a poll from 2007 where Serenity beat Star Wars, and Blade Runner came in at #3. (Serenity was fun, but you sure wouldn't find it on my Top 10).

As for this poll: Metropolis? Seriously? And what happened to Close Encounters? I'd rate that over Planet of the Apes.

El Reg should run a poll for WORST Sci-Fi movie of all time. My vote goes to the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008).

Silver badge
Coat

It's good to see...

No remakes make the top 10 list.

Deckard: Do you expect me to talk, Batty?

Batty: No Mr Deckard, I expect you to die.

Overlooked

Dark Star? John Carpenter's first and best film.

Unhappy

they missed a sci-fi great

so what happened no dune on there ??? it's as good if not better than blade runner ..

and i'm talking the full version not the cut down one it explains more ....

Alien

No Ice Bandits?

Thats a very good list, I think all those films are exceptional. A few that I think might also be added are:

Mad Max 2

The Thing(remake)

Forbidden Planet

Logan's Run

The Fly(remake)

War of the Worlds (original)

Thumb Up

ET?

Thumbs up to the list apart from number 9. I mean, purlease...

Bah!

No "The Day the Earth Caught Fire"? The fools! ;-)

Alien

Oh! And the Matrix!

Yeah, and the Matrix.

And Akira

And Ghost in the Shell

Pi

Robocop

Pint

Metropolis Influence

Metropolis actually had stunning special effects, for the day and still not bad today.

It also influenced at least two of the other top 10: the police headquarters in "Blade Runner" was modeled after the central building in "Metropolis", and the artificial hand of Dr. Rotwang, and the design of the 'Menschmachine/Maria' show up in "Star Wars".

Not too shabby for 1927!

Now if we can pit "Maria" v. "Pris" for a knock down drag out erotic dance....

with a by by "Zora"

wtf?

no alienS????????????

yeah loads of us bought bladerunner on BR, thats why its done so well again. it does look great remastered!

Go

Others

I kunda like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with Michael Rennie, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", "This Island Earth", "Forbidden Planet", "War of the Worlds" with Gene Barry and "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor. But I guess these are too old and dreary (read that as great stories but less CGI) to count.

Oh well, at least I have "Dr. Who".

Grenade

Sturgeon's Law

This list proves Sturgeon was an optimist.

Silver badge

Bah!

Where were you all when it was on general release?

Terminator

Wherefore Total Recall?

Blade Runner stands up today as a good film, but I sometimes feel that the science fiction is window dressing when I watch it. But what do I know? I quite like 'Chronicles of Riddick'.

I see the mawkish ET gets a look in. Really.

Anonymous Coward

Barbarella

Wot no Barbarella? Sacrilege.

Thumb Up

Indeed

Silent Running! Quite right. Also The Time Machine seems to be missing. Also, Star Wars shouldn't be there, it's a historical fantasy adventure :o)

Anonymous Coward

40 years old?

The average age of that selection is 40 years. I've seen them all, and think half of them are totally overrated and are voted on by 'cool', 'arty' people who think bigging up a 'classic' makes them look clever.

Of that list the only ones that disserve their entry, in my humble opinion are:

Blade Runner

Star Wars

Alien

The Terminator

E.T.

To make up a top ten, I’d add:

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

The Matrix (1999)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Aliens (1986)

Back to the Future (1985)

Alien

All over 25 years old?

What was the required age to be considered a classic?

Was there a bouncer on the door of the list who told Terminator 2 and others, "Sorry mate youv'e got to be 21 to get in".

I wholeheartedly agree that a film needs to be a little older than 6 months before it can be considered a classic, but is there a definition?

Silver badge

however the saddest thing

is that the youngest of these films is 25 years old.

Since it's a poll, not a sales volume thing, there's no advantage from older movies having more time to sell in greater numbers. However, the age of the top ten entries might just tell you something about the age of the poll responders.

(I'm not sure why the article calls Vangelis' score "seminal" he'd done lots of stuff, before that piece - including Chariots of Fire, so it wasn't even his first major film soundtrack).

Thumb Up

Dr.

With Ridders enjoying not one but two movies on the list, you'd have to say he makes pretty good SciFi....

No Silent running is as it should be IMO

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.