Memory maker Micron Technology says that it has cooked up the first DDR3 main memory modules for servers to make use of a new technology, called load-reduced dual-inline memory module (LRDIMM) packaging. The new packaging will not only allow server makers to put fatter memory sticks into their boxes, but more of them than they …
Max 3 * 16GB quad rank per socket?
"peters out at three quad-rank 16 GB RDIMMs per processor socket, or 48 GB."
As I understand it it maxes out at 8 ranks per channel meaning 6 * 16GB RDIMMS per processor socket, which is 96GB. This is backed up by the HP DDR3 memory configurator which lets you put 96GB in a single processor DL380 G6.
I haven't enough money to buy the DIMMs to test it though.
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Regin: The super-spyware the security industry has been silent about