Memory maker Micron Technology says that it has cooked up the first DDR3 main memory modules for servers to make use of a new technology, called load-reduced dual-inline memory module (LRDIMM) packaging. The new packaging will not only allow server makers to put fatter memory sticks into their boxes, but more of them than they …
Max 3 * 16GB quad rank per socket?
"peters out at three quad-rank 16 GB RDIMMs per processor socket, or 48 GB."
As I understand it it maxes out at 8 ranks per channel meaning 6 * 16GB RDIMMS per processor socket, which is 96GB. This is backed up by the HP DDR3 memory configurator which lets you put 96GB in a single processor DL380 G6.
I haven't enough money to buy the DIMMs to test it though.
- Pics Indestructible Death Stars blow up planets with glowing KILL RAY
- Hands on Satisfy my scroll: El Reg gets claws on Windows 8.1 spring update
- Video Snowden: You can't trust SPOOKS with your DATA
- 166 days later: Space Station astronauts return to Earth
- What did you see, Elder Galaxies? What made you age so quickly?