back to article Volvo opens e-car kimono

Volvo has shed more light on its electric car plans, revealing that a wholly battery-powered version of the C30 three-door coupe will launch in 2012. Volvo_C30 A battery-powered version of Volvo's existing C30 (above) is set for 2012 Speaking to Register Hardware at the recent UK launch of its latest C30, S40 and V50 DRIVe …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Patrick R
    Thumb Down

Also in the news today;

People from Holland who buy a Volvo C30 car are offered a flight to Sweden to pick it up.

http://www.volvocars-campagnes.nl/C30factorydelivery/

The car is built just over of the border, opposite direction, in Belgium. How green is that ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No one is forcing them to take the offer...

...and fly to Sweden...

3. JerryW

Hybrids

"Volvo argued that closed-cycle hybrids, such as Toyota's Prius, are a technological dead-end because the same economy benefits can be more easily obtained using high-efficiency diesel engines."

That is what all the manufacturers say, who can make diesels but can't make hybrids. Don't forget that you have to get at least 10% better economy in a diesel before the efficiency (or, here in the UK, the cost) become equivalent. And the Toyota Prius is STILL the cleanest car on sale in Europe if all emissions are taken into account.

4. Scott Mckenzie

I wish they'd sort...

.... the emissions on the petrol cars, a 2.0 Petrol (sorry i enjoy driving so don't do this Diesel or Electric crap) has silly emissions when compared to the competition!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

One thing to really sort out....

....power to weight ratios. You can have a very efficient engine, but if it's lugging 2 tonnes of pig iron around, it will still be spewing out more fumes than it needs.

Instead of "greening" a turd, go back to the drawing board and use more modern, lighter materials and I just don't mean nasty plastic dashboards.

6. DRendar
    WTF?

@JerryW

"Don't forget that you have to get at least 10% better economy in a diesel before the efficiency (or, here in the UK, the cost) become equivalent."

Eh?

Diesel is currently the same price as petrol.

Currently 99.9 ppl at my local Morrisons.

This topic is closed for new posts.