As a data centre technicain I have constantly been asking us to move away from Centos and towards Debian/Ubuntu.
This could never happen to Debian (possibly even less likely with Ubuntu), my reasons for this are:-
- RPM is a bag of shite - dependency errors are common using standard yum repos (suse is o.k with smart)
- Centos is too old technology - I.e ancient PHP/MySQL/HTTP
- the kernel is 2.6.18 which is missing many great features - i.e tickless - the accountancy modules that allow iotop to run - a lot of newer hardware is not supported - It sort of feels like linux did 1/2 a decade ago...
- The main web server control panel (Plesk) often has issues updating to the next version (debian based system are usually flawless)
- They alway take longer than other distros to ship security fixes - I know they have to wait for RH enterprise to issues theirs first..
- I do not like clones....