By Chirstmas they'll what?
- Design a new form factor chassis for a non-existant model that's rigid enough to be so thin but light enough to be worth it
- test ultra-low thermal envolope CPUs or new ultrathin cooling systems that don;t yet exist
- design new motherboards and daughterboards to fir new chassis form factor
- pretend noone needs an Optical drive on a Windows box, and then design a matching external drive everyone will order as an upgrade.
- write new drivers for all the hardware we've not used before in this new model line
- Design a manufaturing line to actually make these things, then build it in a factory, not to mention we'll actually need several as many parts are made in different places and assembled elsewhere...
- Make it cool enough to sport a $200-300 price premium for it's size compared to slightly larger much faster, cheaper machines.
- STILL BE CHEAPER THAN APPLE'S AIR
- have all this in full ramped up production by what, October 1st, in order to make enough product to beat the Christmas retail freeze data, and have enough stock to ship to over 5,000 retail outlets and still have some for the web site, in multiple models and configurations and colors to boot.
Balmer is one of the most clueless blowhards to ever be authorized to speak to the press on behalf of a large firm. He has NO IDEA about the amount of effort it takes to engineer a product, let alone one that only Apple really has made successful in the past. Engineering such a machine was tried by a few competitors, and they all failed, and lost millions on the effort. Slimline, low power machines like these are niche products, and in this market, and with Apple's continuing success, and with the other's sliding market share, any manufacturer knows that trying to take on Apple on their own turf with a new product line is destined to fail, since if Apple even felt the tiniest bit threatend, they could knock a few hundred off the cost of their machine and still profit (since the line and research/development has long since been recouped on their end).
I'm not a fanboi of Apple, but even I see this as a completely stupid idea even in a good market, and to make it a reality in less than 3-4 months? complete insanity!