back to article IT's recession could be bottoming out

The information and communication industry could have hit the bottom and it is software which will lead us out of the trough. The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's report on ICT and its role in the recovery saw the first signs of an upturn in May/June. The group saw decline across all sectors of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Green shoots?

The yogurt in my fridge has lots of green shoots on it. I am not sure that necessarily is a good thing.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Green shoots?

Juvenile triffids more like

3. Britt Johnston
    Pirate

new software?

Ah yes, right up El Reg's street.

Talking of green shoots, are you planning a review of Bentos 2? Yes, I know some confuse it with a pack of sweets, but green shoots start small.

4. Ponmyword
    Grenade

Shame on nulabour

"a report from Gartner released yesterday, which also suggests the recovery will be driven by software firms"

Some might say it's a shame that the Labour party have given our IT industry to India.

p.s.

hand grenade for Gordon

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Simpleszszsz....

Decline in hardware = 'we have hardware, make it do!'

Rise in software = 'we have a small budget because we didn't buy hardware!'

Green shoots = 'figment of yet another idiot's wish to be noticed, even for a moment!'

Pay attention? = 'give the idiot the ammunition to CHARGE FOR HIS ABILITY TO SEE THE FUTURE!' Come on, I'd sooner believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden --- hmmm --- now then .....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Software is it ?

It may have to be software led because we have pretty much destroyed our manufacturing base already and the only hardware around has to be imported from China. et. al., where it is all made to the highest of EU standards of Health & Safety by no one under the age of 18!

We are led to believe that the stuff is so cheap that we can't compete. People see that it is cheaper and feel that they are getting a bargain. What they actually get is the destruction of their jobs and also other industries where they just might have found a new job., Into the bargain, they are being ripped off big style on the price. For example, PC motherboards. FOB (free on board) price is less than $10 --- shipping will cost you as much as $2 or $3 per boards (taking insurance into consideration), there might be import duty (depending on which governments are speaking to each other). So, it arrives at your base having cost you less than $20. I suppose thats about £15 these days. Let's really make some cash here ! How about we mark it up to £45. That give cost of £15, our margin of £15 and up to £15 for the retailer, if they don't sell it discount. WOW !! Great boards, great prices, everyone wins!! Ah, but they aren't sold for £45 here in Treasure Island UK ---- that board is sold for £175 plus VAT and then they tell you that there is little or nothing in it to allow discounts ! So, not only will hardware not lead us out of recession, I could make an arguement to say that hardware drives us deeper into recession, thanks to the exploitative profiteers running the market.

Forgive me for being annonimous, but my family like to keep me around!

7. DarkHorseDre

@ AC #6

You give an example of motherboards that I dont know much about, but lets take something common: laptops. They are at their cheapest for years. Netbooks are cheap as chips too.

Now lets look at business: the lowest average network speed in a business is 10/100 ethernet.

People dont need to buy network switches much as 10/100 is pretty decent. of recent typical companies have been upgrading the core of their network and thats not that expensive.

Network cards were the bread and butter of 3com a few years ago, and now they dont sell them!

10/100 switches are reliable and so they dont need to be changed often. Same goes for pc's (my dual core bought in 2006 runs everything I need today, even vista if I was a sadist)

Point is the hardware lifecycle is at its end - more units = lower cost to produce, more competition and cheaper retail. its life. We dont need as much new shit these days!!

Software, however, enables the hardware to work.

Services turn software + hardware = solutions. (Reggy, why didnt you report on the impact of the service sector? I can see professional services outstripping software)

This topic is closed for new posts.