Feeds

back to article Cameron condemns Tweeters as tw*ts

David Cameron risked alienating the UK's Twitterocracy and the Civil Service alike this morning when he suggested the microblogging service was for "twats". The Tory leader also shocked listeners to slightly rock-ish radio station Absolute Radio by using the phrase "pissed off", demonstrating the sort of plain speaking with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

I agree with DC.

Well said that man. You're still a Tory Boy though....

N2

Tell it how it is David

How those winter nights must fly by for the millions of sad depraved people who use Twatter, Facefuck & so on.

Happy

Nice work my MP

At least he didn't call them all a bunch of self-important tossers.

Can't wait to see how they spin out of this one.....

Thumb Up

But he's right...

There is so much shit on Twitter and no, twat is not a rude word, my mother (who is in her mid 70s) uses it and always has : its simply another word for twit.

People are pissed off with politicians and frankly if a politician came to me and said that I could follow his twitter I'd tell him to fuck off.

Stop

Missign the point

Seems to me he's not bashing twitter as a whole, and is stating that the government will almost certainly make a mess of it.

It's is certainly easy to publish something to the world, but then it's quite hard to get it back. And if any tool in the office can tweet as an official any rubbish can be spouted.

As for the language? About time politicians started talking like normal people.

Happy

Newfound respect

Suddenly I have new found respect for Mr Cameron.

Twiiter users are Twats and too right everyone is pissed off at MP's. Good job.

Silver badge
FAIL

What's the difference between a "tweet" and a "twat" anyway?

a. "twat" in the US is your arse.

b. Looks like the entire editorial staff of the Reg is on summer break?

never liked the bloke

allways seamed to me to be a blair 2.0 but I do agree with him on the subject of twitter

Condemns?

I think that's a bit strong. The way I heard it he was saying that politicians have to be careful what they say and if they tweet too much they might make a twat of themselves.

Thumb Up

Problem?

Seems perfectly sensible to me. Twitter isn't much more than a time-wasting exercise in banal non-information. Cameron may or may not appreciate the subtle nuances in those facts but at least he isn't doing a NuLab bandwagon jump. Yet.

http://www.twatter.com/

Thumb Up

Well done that man!

OK, I may not agree with some of his other views, but surely he should be applauded for his all-too-brief stint of plain-speaking? Of course the problem is that while Twitter has a remarkably low penetration (for something that generates so much press/ tw*ttery), lots of people will be association be outraged...

Thumb Up

I approve fully

of both radio swearing and the unmasking of the true nature of Twitter.

DC: +100 Martin Points

Brilliant

He gets my vote! Twitter is pointless. Maybe entertaining, but pointless. I'd rather any gov we had wasn't wasting time with free online sites trying to convince us their down with the kids.

Flame

Go Dave!!

Wholeheartedly agree with big Dave (and that's a rare occurance).

Could we not campaign for this to be made the proper OED collective term for a group of Twitterati?

A flock of sheep, a murder of crows, a twat of twitterers

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: What's the difference between a "tweet" and a "twat" anyway?

a. I think you're confusing it with 'fanny'.

b. I wish.

Alert

Ooh

Wait 'till the green ink brigade hear about this one.

Also, I hope he realises that most will consider twat to be worse than piss, regardless of the time of day.

Joke

Why?

This might be off topic, and I must be dense, but I have never been able to understand why the limit was set to one hundred and forty charac

Hmm

But they are a bunch of vulgar term for vaginas.

Grenade

Just a miss-understanding

Of course Mr Cameron wasn't swearing or being vulgar, he was simply of the impression that many twitter users resided in the town of Twatt, which as we all know is a small Scottish village a few miles north of Stromness in Orkney...

Really?

Doesn't sound like he was slating Twitter, more having a pop at ministers who think that using it will somehow win over an angry* electorate.

* insert your own swearword here if you're a big rock monster like Dave

Anonymous Coward

I'd still not vote Conservative

but he speaks the truth. Less time spent tweetin(?) probably means more time working!

Most who have time to tweet haven't a either a life or a real job.

(Elephant prodding complete)

Anonymous Coward

help me....

I agree wih a Tory!

Silver badge

Wow...

I actually agree with Cameron on something. I think that this must be his reaction to the Civil Service announcements that they will use Twitter, which will make just another avenue for misinformation, but this time one that is blessed by the saintly national treasure, St Stephen, the Fryer, so people take it seriously.

Boffin

I suppose that's what you call

tweets for twats.

Thumb Up

Damn straight

About time a politician said what he was thinking, instead of spinning out some banal nonsense like those idiots on Tw... Oh. Maybe that's why Labour 2.0 got into it in the first place...

Pointless

Twitter is pointless as a social tool but it is very useful as an industry tool. Anything that allows a Developer like me to ask a question along the lines of "Where can I find a tool that does blank?" and get a number of different answers within 5 minutes when Google came up with nothing useful is a useful tool.

Bronze badge

Just demonstrating his ignorance

Like any other form of communication, twitter's usefulness is entirely down to how you use it. He might as well have said email users are twats.

Flame

Meh.

He's still an utter utter wanker, but well played.

Bronze badge

I think he's complaining about signal to noise

As was said far more eloquently long ago, the internet's greatest strength is that any idiot can make a website, its greatest weakness is that every idiot has.

Replace "make a website" with "get on twitter" and it fits.

Silver badge
FAIL

Oh yeah, I forgot...

Twat can also be an article of Nun's clothing, ever since Browning made a bit of a cock-up in one of his poems called Pippa Passes...

Then owls and bats

Cowls and twats

Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods

Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry

True story....

Black Helicopters

I believe...

... the MIBs must be messing with my mind, requiring me to don some tin-foil cranial protection. There's no other possible explanation for finding myself in total agreement with the leader of the Conservative party.

Thumb Up

Twatter

...is what I've always called it myself. Spot on, Mr Cameron.

Thumb Up

Gets my vote!

Also, It would be fun to work out how many UK twitterererers (Twats?) are actually old enough to vote.

My bet is less than 20%.

How many of those will base their voting not one fuel price, the NHS, education, the transport system or the green issue but rather on the fact that he insulted their hobby.

I'm guessing 1% of that number.

No harm will come from this.

And finally, Cameron can't get away with swearing. He's too well spoken.

Coffee/keyboard

@The Dorset Rambler

You owe me a new keyboard.

Megaphone

Mr. Honest Plain-Speaking

Really? He used to be PR for Carlton TV of all things(the worst TV station London & perhaps the UK ever had). It cannot be overstated that you really,really cannot trust someone who works or has worked in PR.

On the subject of twits, how about upper-class twits - they certainly existed a long time before Twitter, and Man of the People Dave is a prime example of one.

Grenade

Meh

Oh come on, he's saying what a lot of others are thinking except he actually has the balls to say it. Jeez, you get condemned if you appear fake, like Gordo's smile, and you get condemned if you say it how you see it, The Prince Phillip effect.

Let's face it whatever someone does, some brain dead idiot will always find some fault with it and think that everyone else should have to listen to why.

Gordo and DC, two sides of a coin.

Grenade

Well, it might take many tweets...

...to make a twat, but it still takes just one David Cameron (or any other Tory MP, for that matter).

Go

A fanny or a twat?

I'll take either.

It will take one helluva lot for Cameron to lose the election, I do not think insulting twitter users will affect the outcome one iota!!!

I hope Cameron wins, because then Scotland will become independent - we remember what the tories did to us.

Vagina?

I think you'll find twat's an alternative word for "vulva". I'm not aware of any english word slang or otherwise for "vagina".

Anyway, most people who use the word "twat" seem to have no idea of its origins and think it's just a synoym of "fool".

Thumb Down

Boo

Before twitter i felt quite out of touch with what my family, who live far away, are doing. Now with twitter it's nice to know my mom just harvested her spring beans and Dads started cycling. Whats the problem? Cameron can go live in a cave.

Stop

Well he's sort of right

the majority of twitter traffic is utter drivel and is further proof, if ever it was needed, that humans should pause and put brain into gear before mouthing off / tweeting. The world is drowning in ill-concieved instant commentary, of which this article is a prime example. (the irony of this post is not lost on me btw)

Thumb Up

For that alone, he's got my vote...

...although he's probably lost an irrationally-high number of votes from Joe Web 2.0.

Headmaster

@Craig 12

They're down there, with their kids.

'write it out 100 times before dawn or i'll cut your balls off'

Silver badge
Thumb Up

A politician who understands twats

And he should know, he works with enough Tory T**ts.

Alert

Spoon face

He makes my skin crawl...

Anonymous Coward

I'll vote for him based on this alone

Also up here in Scotland "twat" is just a word for idiot, kids use it. (Then again kids use all kinds of language now so I'm not sure where I was going with that one.)

Will there be complaining masses?

You can listen to it again on their website, which is excellent because now thousands of people who were not offended, but think they might be offended can go listen and write in letters of complaint to Ofcom!

Thumb Up

He's not wrong

Never have I seen such a pointless banal website receive so much press coverage.

Heart

The Times

"The Times didn't have to point out what piss means - presumably Times readers know piss when they see it."

Brilliant - works on SO many levels!

FAIL

Commenturds?

I have to chuckle at everyone saying that Twitter is a waste of time, on the comments section of ElReg. Because this is really helping further human advancement...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.