back to article AT&T unblocks 4chan after DDoS scare ban

US internet service provider and telco AT&T has restored access to 4chan, blaming a denial of service attack, not smutty content, for the temporary ban. 4chan has been under attack for some weeks now - as revealed on its status page here. A spokesman for AT&T said: Beginning Friday, an AT&T customer was impacted by a denial-of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Dead Vulture

I call bullshit

Don't believe anything AT&T says. The scumbags hand over their customer's calling records, emails, and web browsing history to the Bush regime's surviving lackies without subpoenas, court orders, or warrants. AT&T is an enemy of the United States and anything they say to explain their behavior should be dismissed as more Bush regime behavior.

WTF?

Oh dear!

Did AT&T understand the what the consequences of provoking /b/ might be? I mean, you know what /b/ is like at the best of time, but when someone deliberately goes out their way to annoy them...

Any word on what actions /b/ took against AT&T?

Anonymous Coward

4chan

Hope more DDoS attack is plan against the stupid site.

Paris Hilton

Funny, that

Obvious 4chan regulars were mostly quiet about the event, and some even pointed out what was the nexus of the issue. Though a lot of "newfags" and such could not help but condemn AT&T and even advocate acts against the company, including posting personal contact details for AT&T CEO what's-his-name. (Should be 404 by now.)

Paris, should be 404 by nao.

FAIL

Merely incompetent then?

According to various reports, the attack was a SYN flood with spoofed addresses (prompting a flood of SYN/ACK responses towards the spoofed addresses).

I would expect an ISP the size of AT&T to be able to filter that sort of nonsense possibly without even pressing any buttons, all it requires is hardware capable of running filter rules at a fast enough pace. No denial of service protection measure should effect legitimate traffic in any way unless you have inadequate hardware for your bandwidth.

Troll

Smut site??

4chan is way more than just a smut site

erm...

err...

okay, its a smut site & a place to find daft pictures!

bwahahaha - where is your headline now!

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

How exactly do you filter a SYN flood?

"I would expect an ISP the size of AT&T to be able to filter that sort of nonsense possibly without even pressing any buttons"

Yes, but how. A SYN is a SYN.

Troll

They'll be sorry ...

AT&T have awakened the sleeping 'roid rage of /b/. Soon their sexuality will be called into question and naughty words may be deployed against them.

FAIL

Well...

at most if got the no lifes of 4chan people out of the houses/basements they possibly reside in. I find it funny how anyone would take this to such a big length when it was temporary downtime on ATT customers. I guess the angry kiddies can't live a day without jerking off to the smut they so possibly want to perform/have. Think of it as nicotine for their everyday lives from actually commiting any of the acts at all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums