back to article Sony NAS-SC500PK Gigajuke

After a little less than a year on the market Sony has decided to give its Gigajuke wireless music system a bit of a facelift and make a few modifications. Evidently, the company intends to capitalise on the fact that, within the same twelve months, its Walkman range has gone from being a bunch of also-rans to a collection of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Stop

Function Creep

Reading this review what came to my mind was function creep.

What you need to do is have a listen to something like the Linn Sneaky Music DS (or Klimax DS if you're feeling flush).

It doesn't make a cup of cofffee for you whilst you listen to your music but what it does do is reproduce music better than any other network music player. Not only that but its software is open source, it's a UPNP player and it is scottish designed and built.

You could also try things like the NaimNet although I haven't heard it yet and it is quite a bit more expensive than the Sony.

These options are a little more expensive but sound alot better than your mass produced sh*te from Logitech, B&O or Sony.

I almost bought this

This was in the running, but I ended up buying a Sonos 150 bundle, which was only £619 from richer sounds. Scored some cheap micropod speakers off ebay for £80 to go with it, and I've never regretted it, a technological first for me!

WTF?

re: I almost bought this

Nothing wrong with either product, what I don't understand, is how people will casually blow £600 on just a music streamer, and yet at the same time beat Sony up for selling the PS3 at £270.

I really don't understand it...

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Speakers

Why would they use a weird speaker connection system. What's wrong with good ol' banana plugs etc to use any speaker (and cable) you like??

Thumb Down

Why?

I still don't understand why people spend so much money on digital music streaming - especially when using loss-full media formats such as MP3.

What I did was buy a Netgear MP101 second hand off of eBay for £14 and connect it to my existing stereo Hi-Fi. Slotted into my existing home media network nicely, receives everything off of my NAS drive (has a built in uPnP server) and doesn't look half bad sat in the Hi-Fi rack.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums