back to article Total eclipse used to bait scareware scam

Wednesday's total solar eclipse over India and China has been exploited as a bait for sites punting scareware. Miscreants are using black hat search engine trickery to point geographically-confused users towards websites peddling rogue antivirus software, as explained in an illustrated advisory by Trend Micro here. A search …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Some deserve it

..."Solar Eclipse 2009 in America"............. target market for such scams - relatively affluent, if perhaps slightly naive westerners

It's said that 95% of Americans don't even know where Europe is, and from that one can only assume that refereces to India or China could only be about restaurant locations.

Silver badge
WTF?

Business as usual

Equating a solar eclipse with yet another excuse to offload scamware is a leap of logic that I simply cannot make. Seems like I lack the immense mental faculties that are obviously required to become a successful scammer. On the other hand, I also lack the profound ability to reach for my credit card without any good reason, meaning that I will never be part of the scammer market either. Is it frustrating to witness all this activity and know I'll never be part of it ? Nope.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums