back to article Optical add-on turns cameraphone into mobile lab

Medical boffins have redesigned the humble cameraphone, developing a strap-on microscope that’s able to snap images of miniscule microbes. cameraphone_microscope The cameraphone microscope can snap pictures of blood samples Designed by a team at the University of California, the strap-on is designed to zoom in on blood and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A. Lewis
    Thumb Up

Wow.

And so portable!

I'm ordering five...

2. jake Silver badge

Other options?

"However, image quality can be affected by imperfections and aberrations on a mobile phone’s lens, the team admitted."

No kidding. I wonder what the thing costs, and how much higher that cost would be if it came with a camera with proper glass ... Even cheap, low-end cameras with glass lenses produce better quality images than phone cameras with plastic lenses.

Come to think of it, I'll bet it'd be even less expensive to come up with a pseudouniversal camera/phone mount for a common or garden microscope, which can be had by the pallet load on the used market for next to nothing, thanks to the rise in digital medical imaging.

3. jake Silver badge

One other thing ...

Is it just me, or does that kludge look like a futuristic handgun or sawn-off rifle when assembled? If I'm a doctor in the third world, I don't think I want to be holding it when the local militia bursts in ...

4. weirdcult

Err

I have numerous photos taken on my camera phone using both a portable microscope and binoculars (got some crackers of the moon) as i am sure many others have......is this an invention?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like