Medical boffins have redesigned the humble cameraphone, developing a strap-on microscope that’s able to snap images of miniscule microbes. cameraphone_microscope The cameraphone microscope can snap pictures of blood samples Designed by a team at the University of California, the strap-on is designed to zoom in on blood and …
And so portable!
I'm ordering five...
"However, image quality can be affected by imperfections and aberrations on a mobile phone’s lens, the team admitted."
No kidding. I wonder what the thing costs, and how much higher that cost would be if it came with a camera with proper glass ... Even cheap, low-end cameras with glass lenses produce better quality images than phone cameras with plastic lenses.
Come to think of it, I'll bet it'd be even less expensive to come up with a pseudouniversal camera/phone mount for a common or garden microscope, which can be had by the pallet load on the used market for next to nothing, thanks to the rise in digital medical imaging.
One other thing ...
Is it just me, or does that kludge look like a futuristic handgun or sawn-off rifle when assembled? If I'm a doctor in the third world, I don't think I want to be holding it when the local militia bursts in ...
I have numerous photos taken on my camera phone using both a portable microscope and binoculars (got some crackers of the moon) as i am sure many others have......is this an invention?
- Leaked screenshots show next Windows kernel to be a perfect 10
- Product round-up Coming clean: Ten cordless vacuum cleaners
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? I need a password to BRAKE? What? No! STOP! Aaaargh!
- Episode 13 BOFH: WHERE did this 'fax-enabled' printer UPGRADE come from?
- Vulture at the Wheel Ford's B-Max: Fiesta-based runaround that goes THUNK