back to article Wheels come off O2's data network

UK operator O2 is having data network problems that are making it impossible for most users to access the internet, as well as preventing data-based applications such as MMS. Despite initial reports that the problem was down to congestion in the London area, it now seems that the whole network is refusing to carry packet data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom_
    Unhappy

refund?

How long does it have to be broken before we start getting refunds on our unlimited data plans?

2. allthegear

not here

huh? - I've been using data on my iPhone all afternoon, whilst outside of a wifi connection no problem...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not noticed

I dont think that this will make much difference to my Iphone 3G connection in docklands.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Money Off...?

Since O2 are no longer providing the "unlimited" data service which their contract with me specifies, will myself - and others in a similar situation - be given money off our bill as way of a "we're sorry, and we value your custom" ?

Will they f...

5. BeefStirFry
    FAIL

Customer Service..

Try calling customer services, its great... they reel off a long script which you can tell they've been working on all afternoon...

Best part is when they say "Its at our highest priority to fix, hopefully should be in the next 24 hours..."

I can't wait to go back to Orange once this contract is up...

6. QuiteEvilGraham
    FAIL

So...

Had to borrow the WiFi in my local to find this out.

Would an apologetic SMS have killed them?

7. Matt K

Hmm

It was fairly temperamental late this morning, but I've had no problems since with email or web surfing over 3G or EDGE on an iPhone in London.

8. Chris Morrison
    Thumb Down

Openreach

Do openreach engineers use O2? I've been waiting in all day for one to come and customer services say his phone aint working.

9. Chrome
    Thumb Up

OK here

Just tested (16.43) here in rainy N Wales and it seems fine... Hey, something here works better than in a big city! I feel so proud (and kinda depressed)

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

oh dear

Im glad im not the only one having these issues, although its pretty bad i have to read about this on el reg instead of the o2 website.

Im affected all the way up north btw.

11. Steven 23
    FAIL

Bigger Problem

All our companys O2 mobiles as well as BT landlines are playing up. 50% of the time when you ring one it says "this number does not exist or is unrecognised, goodbye"... fantastic.

12. King Edward I
    Stop

This...

...Comes as a bit of a suprise to me, as I'm typing this on my O2 mobile phone. Either I'm one of the lucky few, or the problem is not that wide-spread 'cos I've been using the mobile internet all day.

13. Andrew Katz

O2 - Best customer service

I called O2 a few months back to complain about crap coverage and data rates.

The guy at the call centre said "Yeah, it is crap, isn't it. That's why I'm with Orange".

I then asked him whether there were any plans to increase capacity.

"Of course not, " he said", there's a recession on. All infrastructure spending has ceased for the foreseeable future".

Well, at least he was honest.

14. Annihilator

Not just me - phew

That will explain my "unable to activate cellular network" errors I've been facing all day.

15. Sampler
    Thumb Up

Alright here

Up in the Leeds/Bradford border - my HTC Kaiser and the guy with an iPhone next to me have no trouble.

16. Mike 119

? <-- that was a title

Absolutely no problem here.

17. Vince

Working fine here (better than normal in fact)

It's processing data just fine on 2G GPRS at least with an N97 and has done all day (I could go upstairs 2 floors and get 3G to check, but can't be arsed), that's down in Devon mind...

Actually, I was thinking it was faster earlier, maybe if loads of people can't get online, the iPhone chumps won't be consuming so much....

18. ed 26
    Pint

Re: Openreach

No they use Voda...One of their engineers had to borrow my phone (O2) in our datacentre when they were running in the fibre (6 months late....) Oh the irony

19. swaygeo
    WTF?

No data, just adverts...

No internet down on South Coast in Sussex, but ironically I have just been sent a text by O2 to try their mobile broadband...

...I'm thinking no.

20. TimBiller

Broken here too ...

... up in sunny Nottingham. Oh well, back to wifi.

Tim

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

O2

my iphone stopped working about 11am this morning (london), when I rang o2 about 2:30pm I was told a software upgrade was being performed and so they could only do basic enquiries

22. Shirtbuttons

Quick fix?

Try this:-

To do this, do as follows:

Settings;

General;

Network;

Cellular Data Network;

Change APN from idata.o2.co.uk TO mobile.o2.co.uk

If you wish to send MMS also you need to do as follows:

Settings;

General;

Network;

Cellular Data Network;

Change MMS from idata.o2.co.uk TO wap.o2.co.uk

23. simon_b
    Thumb Down

Been out all day

Here in sunny(?) west Essex last e-mail sync was 10.30 this morning. Voice OK though.

24. Chris Dickens
    FAIL

ARSEHOLES!

I've just been down the local O2 show to complain about this - they said restore the damn thing to fix it.

Now, I read this on here - how can the damn shops be so useless as not to know. Now I have to wait god knows how long for the damn thing to reload everything knowing that it still won't work anyway.

I hate O2, even more than usual today.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Go

idata.o2.co.uk

You can get around this by changing the Cellular Data APN from idata.o2.co.uk back to mobile.o2.co.uk.

Works for me.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Down and out in Glasgow City Centre

Using iPhone3GS and can't get a connection on EDGE or 3G in either Safari (bbc.co.uk & theregister.co.uk) or Mail.

Get the error message: 'Could activate cellular data network'

Was working about an hour ago.

27. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Bugger

Great, so now my backup internet that is my iPhone is useless while my landline is recovering from being zapped by lightning last week.

Super.

28. David Unsworth
    Happy

Working for me!

Working fine for me on my iPhone and has been all day. I'm in Leeds.

29. Jaymeister

Odd

It's working for me and has been all day and I utterly hammer my data connection so would have noticed...

Maybe this problem is more localised than it at first seems...

30. Rob McInnes
    FAIL

That just might

blinkin' well explain why I've spent all afternoon playing with every setting under the sun to get my phone working! I thought it was an issue caused by O2 forcing a "connectivity update message" on me last night! Internet and MMS that had been working for years (literally) suddenly stopped working today (well, MMS is still fubar, but I can live with that).

However, I'm online again and I've been connected for the last few hours with no problem, streaming music (so I'd notice an interruption in service). That's in Folkestone, for what it's worth...

31. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Jailbreak

Decided to jailbreak my iPhone this afternoon and got the "could not activate cellular data network" error afterwards. Thought it was to do with this, and have just restored it to a non-jailbroken version. How annoyingly timed this was.

32. Scoopz
    Thumb Up

There's a temporary fix but....

I got my data working again by going to settings->general->network ->cellular data network

Change the APN for data from idata.o2.co.uk to mobile.o2.co.uk then turn 3G on and off and it should let you back online with your iPhone. It won't help with visualvoice mail or MMS (i don't recommend touching the APNS for them) but it will get you back online for email, web, etc.

WARNING - I've been told by O2 that by doing the above, I might get charged for any data going through the mobile.o2.co.uk APN as this isn't part of my unlimited iPhone tariff. I asked if they were being serious, one APN is down and they'll charge me if I use another working one but he said I *might* get charged.

Scoopz

33. Barracoder
    Unhappy

I cry

All 3G access completely out in Docklands, as far as I can tell.

34. greenmantle
    FAIL

here too

Central london still not working at 17:41... Bet no refund ;-(

35. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

No idea what 02 are up to...

... but I, and everone else in the office on 02 here in Kingston had about four hours of "network busy" messages yesterday afternoon when trying to place voice calls too.

Paris, because she goes down frequently as well, of course.

36. Mark61
    Thumb Down

Roaming

Even when roaming, you end up connecting through an O2 APN. And yes, in the NL, my O2 data service is kaput.

I pay £50 for 50mb of access when roaming. Wonder if I can haggle a rebate seeing as I'm actually paying a sizeable wedge...

37. Ian 16

hmmm

Strange ... Vodafones GPRS network was having sporadic outages last week too...

38. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Broken in....

....Cambridge at present

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

As they don't have the N97 they're off my migration path from Orange (who should have the N97, but are still screwing about with the firmware) already, but it's nice to know O2 are as crap as everyone has said.

So which should I go to out of Vodafone and T-mob?

40. Robin Weston
    WTF?

thank god...

No joy today in Bolton or Preston, on contract. As for all the doom sayers - this stuff happens once in a while. I'm calm about it all... mind you if it had stopped me checking on the cricket scores yesterday....

41. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Mwuahahahahaaaa

Oh no! How WILL all those with oh-so-fashionable iFones EVER download their pointless apps without a data connection? IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!

42. Tristan
    FAIL

Norwich & norfolk out

Between me and a friend driving down to diss today we've tested about 5 cells - all down, but it's only the idata.o2.co.uk access point - if you jump onto mobile.o2.co.uk it works (albeit slowly.)

Personally I'm rarely far from a Wi-Fi!

43. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Switch back to the old APN and it is fine

I was getting the "unable to activate cellular network" message here (in Edinburgh).

The issues seem to be caused by the idata.o2.co.uk APN.

If you go into Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data Network and change the APN for Cellular Data from "idata.o2.co.uk" back to the old "mobile.o2.co.uk", then it works fine.

Other O2 customers are reporting the same thing on their own forums:

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23767

But O2 are recommending against this change (via twitter) for some reason.

44. Mark C Casey

Not here

I'm in Leeds here and it has been flaky all day. Unable to connect in to works VPN on the iphone to check my work email. (I have to use wifi to do that at the moment)

Plus I got a text message from work complaining that they can't connect in to the vpn because all the sales guys use iphones and the vpn to check their email etc.

O2's data network has been pretty flaky the last few months.

45. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

o2 Fail

Just got off of the phone with some chap in O2 Business support, apparently this could take up to a week to fix.

Following O2 on twitter it said that there had been a fire in a London sub station.

Checked about getting money back and they said if its a long outage they might refund a portion of the cost.

46. Professor Quatermass
    Jobs Horns

On the 24 to Hampstead and ...

... I thought my iPhone had given up the ghost. No, it seems that O2 have just crapped out. "Unable to activate cellular network" is the most irritating error known to humankind!

47. Yombidu
    FAIL

Excellent service as always

Nice to see O2 are going out of their way to notify customers via their website. I've spent ages cursing and diagnosing the settings on my handset and it was their fault all along!

48. Tech Hippy

Depends which APN you use

Lost my data connection at 14.30 in Stevenage.

Just got home and reconnected by switching APN from web.o2.co.uk (faster, password) to mobile.o2.co.uk (web, web). Pay monthly customer.

49. Havin_it
    Alert

Hmm

Perhaps unrelated but... was using JoikuSpot to tether my lappy at about 4pm and every page I pulled up on El Reg had everything on the page except ... the actual article text!

Is this O2, Joiku or your latest scheme to derange my fragile mind?

50. Apocalypse Later

Ahah!

So that's why I my new mobile broadband gizmo apparently wouldn't install all morning. It's typical, but I always forget- the system is always down when you are trying to install. It gives you lots of practice running through the settings over and over though, trying to figure out which one you mucked up.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like