Feeds

back to article Sun shareholders approve Oracle deal

The shareholders that actually own Sun Microsystems - as opposed to the people who used to run it and behaved as if they owned it - approved of the $5.6bn takeover of Sun by software powerhouse and server and storage (not)wannabe Oracle. According to a terse statement from Sun - and the last thing Sun will say as an independent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Now you want ORCL to buy Red Hat?

Geez, this is only about the billionth time that someone has predicted the sale of Red Hat. I suppose that when it finally happens, we will remember the most-proximal predictor at that time. Good luck on this one!

Dead Vulture

Sunset

So ends the Sun.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Vale

Farewell SUN, I liked your stuff and the way you did things. Much as I would prefer that you don't just become a nameplate on someone else's kit I don't hold out much hope.

Anonymous Coward

Will Sun support get any better?

It can't get much worse than it's been this year.

Solaris not Sun

As long as Oracle don't kill off Solaris (I know they can't really because of OpenSolaris) they can do what they like with the hardware .... grudgingly: the T5xxx boxes are smashing little boxes ...

Stop

Oh NO

Does this mean we have to go back to fighting with Intel's Brain-Dead BIOS. No!!!! Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!

Go

Merger dicates a new name

My suggestion is a portmanteau as it were, a combination of Sun and Oracle. I call it... Suckle

Yes, I added a K.

The competition is open to all. Blaze away.

Thumb Down

The $12 million dollar hit man

Schwartz finally killed Sun.

RE: Oh NO

Damn, I love Openboot PROM.

I like IBM's OpenFirmware implementation too, but a bit less, on account of the absence of the 'help' and 'sifting' words--or have they added those on more recent Power gear? I recall their being absent the last time I poked at an RS/6000.

Happy

The death of Sun...is it today or when the deal offically closes?

Either way Sun is dead, gone, history.

Burroughs, Compaq, DEC, Wang, Honeywell, SGI, DataGeneral, Sequent, Amdahl, etc...

There is only one reason Sun died....the executive team. An embarrassment with the Scott top ten lists to the April fools joke with pony tail boy.

I just feel sorry for the people who tried so hard working for the company. That being said we are moving everything to IBM. We trust IBM. We have had enough of Oracle price increases (47% last year), audits then feeling bullied to pay millions more, and finally the Sun gear is a joke compared to the rest of the industry. Would you buy AMD gear if they were selling Pentium III stuff vs. Xeon?

We are moving to Power first then will move to DB2 as they have Oracle compatibility now.

SAP is making it VERY attractive to dump Oracle and Sun completely.

looking for new Mojo

Flame

Re: Oh NO

>Does this mean we have to go back to fighting with Intel's Brain-Dead BIOS. No!!!!

>Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!

You can still try IBM's brain-dead JFS2 (the one which requires almost daily fscks)

Anonymous Coward

@AC 04:02

God knows what you did to get a 47% price hike, an audit and a demand for more money from Oracle last year. Prices went up, but does anyone but small shops actually pay list prices?

Good luck with SAP. Frying pan and fire spring to mind.

Pirate

Good riddance

I have more hope for Sun under Larry Ellison than I did under Scott McNealy or Jonathan Schwartz, both of whom were criminally incompetent to the point where, if I were a Sun shareholder, I would consider launching a class-action suit. Companies are legally obliged to perform to the best of their abilities, and under McNealy and Schwartz, Sun has floundered under their lack of vision; their imagination stretched only as far as cutting engineering staff, and what you see now is the legacy of that management.

As a former employee of Sun (and ever since, a Sun-certified, experienced practitioner with Sun technologies), I am sad to see that Sun finally had to be bought out by someone who could actually run the company for the purpose of making money, because the resident management could not see past their big egos. Say what you like about Larry, but Oracle is run well because he knows how to run it. On some level, I hope Sun will benefit from this.

Sun had some GREAT engineering staff (and I am sure still does), and working with them was a real treat. It was just unfortunate that one of my colleagues (a lady who used to work for Commodore), accurately foretold that Sun would end up like Commodore, sooner or later. With her experience, I guess she would know...

As much as I loved working with Solaris, I'm rapidly becoming a BSD / Linux / IBM guy. Having all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea, and especially if that egg is called Solaris: even though OpenSolaris will survive, I doubt that it will gain much traction in an industry that is already in love with Linux - especially if Ellison decides to kill off Solaris in favour of Linux.

Bronze badge
Coat

@Norfolk Enchants Paris

Nah, it will be called Or-Sun, as in Welles or Cart, see what I did there? Horse'n'Cart...ah it's wasted on you lot!

WTF?

we dont pay list...but our price still went up 47%

We get a 60% discount for Oracle...but weblogic went up 47% last year and the database products went up 19%....just was we were looking to cut costs Oracle killed us

Boffin

@AC wrt. JFS2

Don't know what you are doing. JFS2 is pretty much bullet proof provided that you are not running AIX5.1 pre ML6 or AIX 5.2 pre ML3. AIX 5.3 and 6.1 has always worked, at least on the 500+ AIX systems I have had a hand in running since JFS2 came along.

There have been problems, but JFS2 is now pretty stable. Looks like there is a current problem with rolling back snapshots, but otherwise....

Check your ML/TL/SP, if you have not already done so.

This topic is closed for new posts.