Feeds

back to article Nokia sees sales, shipments and profits slide

The recession bit Nokia with a vengeance in the second quarter, with the company seeing most of its major metrics take a turn for the worst. Nokia's profit before tax for the second quarter of 2009 fell by some 74 per cent, with the company only bringing in €380m compared to the €1.4bn it managed in the same period last year. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Used Nokia for 5 years

Started with the 6310i, moved up to a 7250, a 6800, and then an E51. The biggest issue I had was APPALLING handling of a large inbox; It would slow down the entire handset.

Nokia is NOT a services company

Too many big manufacturers are suddenly looking to turn to "Services" companies, Nokia has been thinking this for a while.

What they all seem to miss is that there is no real established domestic market for services.

The same goes for MS wanting to move to a rental arrangement for their software... no-one seems to get that people would generally prefer to pay once for something rather than pay every month for it.

SO Nokia, give up on OVI it's still crap (and has been for a few years now).

STOP aspirations of being a mythical services company until you find services people will pay for.

GET BACK TO MAKING PHONES, YOU ARE FAIRLY GOOD AT IT.

If anyone can make a phone to beat the iPhone, it's nokia, do a deal with google or something.

*sigh*

Flame

Not suprised given there recent phones

I've had Nokia's for year, ever since I got bored with Motorola ones.

Like the earlier poster, I had a 6310i, great little phone, did what is said on the tin...

Then I've had a 6680, OK

E65, mostly good, a couple of annoying quirks, but I liked it.

N95, does everything... badly! When it's working. Been back for repair more times than I care to count.

E71, then a second one, coz the first only wanted to call "Nokia Info Line" if using hands free. All looked good, till it decided that it wouldn't work hands free at all. And then it decided to ignore what USB selection mode you chose. And then restoring backups doesn't work...

I remember teaching an ex Nokia programmer about how OSes work a few years ago. He couldn't get his head around the idea that you needed to restart software to patch it, "But we did away with that stupidity years ago" he said. Seem like they've abandoned software engine now like everyone else and gone over to the tried and test approach of chuck any old shit you like together. As long as it gives a good demo that's all that matters.

Dead Vulture

Tragedy of the Incumbent

Nokia have facilities and resources at their disposal which are the envy of, for example, the open hardware movement, and where the latter group (or indeed any minor competitor) could probably do so much more than they can currently achieve with only a fraction of Nokia's resources, what we'll see being played out is the usual squandering of such resources by a big company as it thrashes around to find a sustainable strategy. (It's like various proprietary computing companies which met their end in the 1990s and how various Linux-related start-ups could have done wonders with the resources of those proprietary companies, which instead were written off or disposed of on the cheap upon liquidation.)

It's the tragedy of the incumbent - it can't see the riches it has at its disposal. (Meanwhile, tangentially, since Orlowski won't let us comment on his pieces [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/16/creative_commons_fail/], let it be said that the whole point of Creative Commons is the licence standardisation, not what the licences let you do, and the real tragedy is that the brand tried to be too many different things at once under one movement, resulting in confusion about what Creative Commons actually means, if it should mean anything at all in itself.)

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

@AC

I feel your pain. I can well believe what you wrote. This is the kind of shit that hiring cheap developers, sorry 'software engineers', gets you in to.

Silver badge

@A/C 16:00

I don't know what you do to your telephones but I've never broken a Nokia.

6310, 7650, 6600, N70, N95 and a few older ones whos model number I have long since forgotten. All working perfectly last time I used them, and would probably still work if I could find the box they're in... Might need a new battery, but hey, user serviceable! ;-)

The N95 has been dropped, had cola spilt on it when it was only 3 days old (thanks to my younger brother) closely followed by me running it under the tap (the logic being that water has got to be safer than cola!), and it's still working perfectly.

Sure the early firmware was a bit iffy, bad battery life etc, but within a month the new firmware arrived and it's been great ever since. Each new firmware release has added little things. 2 years of daily use and abuse, no complaints.

I web browse with mine with Opera Mini, I use VOIP and IM with fring. I take pictures and send emails.

It did start to clog up a bit when I had over 2000 messages in the SMS inbox, but come on, what do you expect. Backup the messages to the PC (just in case), wipe the inbox and then try to be a bit more tidy in future!

As soon as Orange decide to release the N97 I'll be popping into one of their shops for a play, then if I like it, on the phone to upgrade line to barter a good price.

FAIL

@AC 16:00 GMT

Look up hot patching before teaching any more. And microkernel architecture.

Unhappy

What a pity

I used to work for Nokia in a strategic role in Asia. It's such a pity to see these headlines, and the company losing its way.

Nokia is chock-full of incredibly smart, clued-in people. Everyone lives and breathes the Finnish "Respect" culture in the sales, marketing, and best-in-the-world demand/supply network operations groups. It was an incredible place to work.

In Nokia, "Respect" also means taking the time to call someone on a bad decision, to help them improve.

The problem is that this never seemed to apply to the product design groups, who were held in some kind of reverence that dated back to the glory days. No matter what the Nokia teams in-market learnt from customers, there was always a sense of "we know better" from the product teams. It didn't take a genius to see even a few years ago that this type of hubris was a recipe for disaster.

A little bit more humility from the product design groups would go a long way in reviving their product portfolio, fortunes, and morale (which I hear isn't great).

I said goodbye to Nokia

I've used a Nokia of various types since 2001, but when my second N95 broke with the same fault, I swore I'd never use them again. So now I have an iPhone, and I'm not regretting it.

They have lost the plot with quality assurance. On a plus side, their 5800 gets much better 3G signal than my iPhone 3G S - so they can make decent radio chips still. Shame about everything else.

Grenade

QA

I used to work in a test team at Nokia and they treat their test engineers as second class engineers demotivating them by indirectly suggesting they are not critical to justify their salaries. Because of this, it has lead to a high churn of engineers. HR where useless and spineless to flag up this problem to senior management and only resorted to the age old lazy management attitude "If people don't like it then they can leave" - and leave they did! As a result software quality suffered.

This topic is closed for new posts.