back to article Apple's iPhoneware update snuffs tethering hack

Apple released its iPhone Software 3.1 beta 2 on Tuesday, and today, the web is alive with reports that the release has disabled a hack that allowed fanbois to use the iPhone 3G and 3GS as wireless broadband modems for laptops and PCs. This capability - known as tethering - was touted as one of the benefits of 3.0 when Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Not that tecchie, me, but

as they are just a proxy, won't iPhoneModem et al still work?

--

2. Eduard Coli
    Thumb Down

Stupid is as stupid does

What is up with Reg and Apple people anyway?

A Boi at least in American slang is usually teen or tweeny girl who like to dress andact masculine though she may not necessarily be gay.

So I suppose the RegDik who thought up fanboi must have lost this in translation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

@Eduard Coli

No-one gives a shit - it's Apple.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Honestly...

I'm sure the rest of the mobile world has taken tethering as an unspoken function for at least the last 5 years... Apple are allowing some very nasty "features", or lack there of, to creep into the mobile market place.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Seriously? What is it with mobile networks and hardware vendors?

The phone can do all this stuff already so why this continual knobbling of it and then the drip feeding of 'features' just as soon as they cook up an additional tariff to charge you through the arse for it? I know deep down the answer is the dripping-roast that is continual monetization but it just continues to mystify me how a shitty phoone can hold people in this Svengali-like thrall.

Good on the hackers for letting iPhone users realise the true potential of their handsets (shitty as they may be) before AT&T deign they may. Give me an N97, a decent data plan and stick the iPhone up your arse.

6. ThomH

@AC

iPhoneModem is for jailbreakers only. I think the tethering thing worked on any iPhone as long as you were willing to switch some files around for iTunes. So, this raises the bar for the freeloaders.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

ok..

how about FanBOYYZZZ, as in BOYZ IN DA HOOD...

Anyhow, in order to let the flame wars begin, my Blackjack can do nearly everything your iPhone can do and I can tether... since like 2 years ago...bluetooth tether too....

This is what happens when people LET these monopolistic carrier/phone vendor deals to go on. Every thing is too tightly controlled. I bet when you are finally able to tether, AT&T will know not only that you were tethering, but what sites you visited, what computer you used to tether, your first born's circumcision status, etc.

When I tether, they don't even know, and never will. IPhone and AT&T for the fail!

8. vincent himpe

of course it's not 55 ..

it'll be more like 155 ...

9. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

In defense of RegDik

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboi

Paris, because I believe she can do no wrong.

10. SuperTim

No Jailbreak.

Iphonemodem wont work because you have to jailbreak the phone, which isnt yet shown to be possible in 3.1beta and wont be supported by iphone devteam until the official launch of 3.1. Give it a couple of months and it will all come out in the wash.

11. Futumsh
    FAIL

So why would we want to upgrade to 3.1?

So apple release a brand new phone with a brand new version of their OS and then they release an OS update one month later that knobbles features of the previous update.

I think I'll pass on the upgrade and continue using tethering - for free thankyouverymuch.

12. EvilGav 1

If the current phone plan . . .

. . . is for unlimited data, why should there be any additional charge for plugging a wire between your phone and PC/laptop/netbook ?

The contract is for data across a network, it should be irrelevant whether the data is sent/received because of a request from the phone directly or another device the phone is attached too.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

iphone users aren't bothered

iphone users generally don't care for stuff like tethering (over usb/bluetooth/wifi), multitasking, or filesystem access (like copying documents over usb/bt/wifi). Before you dispute my generalization I'd like to point out the wild success of the device, without these "boring work/productivity related" stuff.

14. chris
    FAIL

Who cares that much about tehering?

AT&T still needs to turn on MMS. The tethering issue should be the least of their concerns right now.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ EvilGav 1

What he said. Chisellers!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Just goes to show...

What you get when you buy an overpriced, locked down, proprietary device designed exclusively for crazed fanboys with too much money to spend.

17. Piloti
    Jobs Horns

@Will 22

Have to say, agree 100%.

My variation on what you have written would be that as the user, purchase, I own the device and as such, it is up to me which way I use it.

It is not a rental device it is a purchase. The fact that the Network may have subsidised it to zero does not negate the purchase element: it is still my hardware.

For as long as this sort of shenanigans continues, I'll buy my Nokia sim free, unlocked and un-latched so I can shove in which ever sim I want, where ever I happen to be.

Done.

P.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like