Symantec is to add deduplication to the backup clients and media servers for NetBackup and Backup Exec. This will allow Backup Exec customers equality of deduplication with NetBackup customers. These moves were first reported last month. Currently, NetBackup users can manage third-party deduplication appliances from Data Domain …
Being a bit dim here...
I assume this only applies to VTLs? Once it's written to tape, how hell can you dedupe it?! You can only dedupe instances in the archived, vaulted media catalogs, the physical data stay on tape, unlike disk where it can obviously be removed at will.
Nope, you got it right
The "deduplicated archive" functionality referred to in the articles refers only to object-level deduplication (ala CAS, SIS, etc.). It's not "true" dedupe.
Yes, NBU will continue to store data in its original format on tape. I would reword your statement slightly to say that it only applies to disk targets, not just VTLs.
AFAIK, only CommVault is storing deduplicated data on tape, but I haven't been particularly excited about that idea.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: US FEDS can dig into foreign servers
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Plug and PREY: Hackers reprogram USB drives to silently infect PCs