Apple may soon add video-capture capability to its ubiquitous iPods, if rumors that surfaced Monday are to be believed. According to a report from TechCrunch, "sources in Asia" say that Apple has placed a "massive" order for camera modules, an order so large that "Everything but the Shuffle may have a camera in it soon." Of …
...and here's baby rangesh using is first baby potty.
Apples raison d'etre used to be "keep it simple"...
seems to be slipping towards "make it tacky rubbish"
I wonder what the pixel count will be? Too low and its just pointless. My iPhone produces shody purple hinted out of focus crap with its 2Mp camera...
iff they do it right...
the ipod touch will then be a smartphone without the phone part...
so then i could get a normal phone for, you know, phoning, and the ipod touch for erm... messing about with gadgety stuff while im sat doing nothing. whithout killing the battery on my phone for when i need it
oh wait... i could do that now by using "offline mode" on my n95 8gb and use the old phone i had before it (pebl)
hmmm methinks its time to upgrade to a 5800, or maybe n97? N86 has a bloody good camera apparently. iplayer is now my preffered killer app for smartphones. top gear in the pub = aces. its a shame i can only stream on the n95.
Re: iff they do it right...
Oh my god. Is the Nokia N series becoming the new Amiga?
zettabyte hard drive
gotta get one of those.....pc world anyone?
how big would the ssd stick be?
Don't be silly, the Amiga was usable by humans!
My poor 3G phone... will not have video....
Economy of scale
Why not just remove the raido (phone) components from the iPhone to yield the iPod Touch ?
On the contrary, the Amiga was a technical triumph, the Nokia phones are a desperate mess of tacked on features that are beloved of geeks and nobody else precisely because of the obscure and difficult to navigate mess of software upon them. Mere mortals like discoverability, nerds like devices on which they can occasionally discover something new.
Don't take my word for it, check out Gizmodo's review of the N97 yesterday — "Nokia N97 Review: Nokia Is Doomed".
Of course, it's a shame that microcontrolling, paranoid and secretive Apple seem set to dominate the market for a generation, but that's no excuse to pretend that the Nokia product is any good.
We all have cellphones with us anyway to do that, and the camera in my SE is a damn sight better than anything a crappy apple product would have.
Why do they constantly add all these retarded "features" like video, photo, etc etc, when they won't even add USEFUL things like radio, or making them even slightly resistant to the odd raindrop.
I'm seriously thinking of just getting an N96 and ditching my ipod.
Apple's lost the plot...
Give you good odds that the camera they slap onto the iPod's will be naff, (low pixel count, poor sensitivity, no optical zoom - that being a major fail[ure] in my book). Don't be fooled - it's driven by the marketing department because they've run out of ideas.
How about a mad idea - instead of coralling nerds to form a focus group, why not use Joe and Jane Public instead?
My top four wants would be:
1. Better battery life, (although it's 'reasonable' at the moment for my 1G Touch);
2. Better interface, by that I mean steal some of the features from the older iPods - like the autoplaylists (Genius is NOT a substitute). I really miss the old 'top rated' one from the pre-Touch generation;
3. Better sound quality - each generation seems to get worse. My kid's old Mini sounds pretty sweet, my old 5G Video and 1G Nano are pleasing, but the 1G Touch is noticably not as good. Heck even the 2G Touch isn't up to the standard of the 5G Video (which is what I'm listening to now);
4. Larger memory sizes for the flash based kit - and flash is what they seem to be moving to in preference to the old hard disk. E.g. where's the disk-based "Touch MaXX" (or whatever you'd call it) - a large Touch but with a hulking great (100GB+) disk for all those lovely videos.
Don't get me wrong, I like all my iPod's - and the Touch makes a superb video/web/game device that can do the odd tune too. But at the end of the day an iPod is supposed to be a _music_ device, so let's move it that way and not bother with all the flashy, pointless do-everything crap.
And hey, if it ends up as an Amiga, then that's no bad thing in my book - heck I've still got an old A1500 and a load of games up in the loft. ;)
The iPod touch...
Something struck me today - once you take away the accelerometer and the fancy OS whats the real difference between an iPod Touch and something like an iPaq type PDA? Or have Apple cleverly raised the corpse of the standalone PDA by nailing a fruity logo to the back?
Apologies, btw, for having taken two years to make this leap of cogitation...
If it's anything like the current camera
You're better off taking a paint set along with you, you'll get a better picture,.
So basically they'll be making a phone, mp3 player and mp4 player all with the same features... why not just make one thing? Oh, wait...
Meantime I bought some carpy ipod lookalike for £40 which has vidcam, stills cam, mp4 player, mp3 player, e-book reader, sd card expansion..... at that price I could afford to throw it away every few months and it'd still be cheaper than apple.
No Phone Contract
The title says it all. Ipod touch with camera = iphone without phone and without phone contract. Also lower purchase price. It's not a bad idea poviding there are plenty of wifi access points about. It's not much good otherwise. I have the 1st gen ipod touch and the lack of public wifi means that I leave it at home most of the time. They should also add a speaker to ipod touch.
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids