back to article iPhone Dev Team player breaks ranks to release 3GS hack tool

The iPhone 3GS has been jailbroken, a process that opens the handset up to being loaded with apps that haven't been blessed by Apple. One of those applications can free the phone from ties to carriers. The hack comes from George Hotz - aka GeoHot - one the guys in the iPhone Dev Team, which has been playing mouse to Apple's cat …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Jobs Horns

Why they were delaying it

Probably want to prevent Apple from fixing the hole, as 3.1 is coming out very quickly after the release. So the rationale is sound. But George obviously likes to play the solo card.

He's right in a way though, it's probably not too hard finding new holes even when old ones have been patched.

Coat

George

"My hack is awesome". "I'm amazing".

George, please do get out more.

Alert

They were...

... trying to protect the last of their crack. If they go shouting about it now, Apple will try and patch it for 3.1, if they release it after 3.1 is out and it's not patched, then Apple won't have time to get 3.2 ready.

Thumb Up

@TheJealousAnonAbove

@TheJealousAnonAbove

No seriously George, stay in. It is awesome, its within 2 weeks of launch and yes - that does make you amazing.

Boffin

GeoHot != dev-team

Geohot got kicked out of the dev team like a year ago when he released an old unlocking tool early and the rest didn't want it released.

So although he used to be a member, he isn't any more.

Although they seem to still talk to each other fairly nicely

If apple was smart ...

They'd throw money at anyone who figures out the security hole. Then people will be tripping over themselves to be the first to submit it to apple and apple would know about it ASAP.

Then they can make sure the next release fixes that vulnerability.

Stop

fix or fix?

@ZenCoder

"...fixes that vulnerability" - I say 'maintains their illegal network lock-in system'

surely EU laws mean that a consumer cannot be locked into just one network - especially if they have paid for that item in full (I'm not talking about the 'free' 45 quid/month people)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums