back to article iPhone 3G S unlock path discovered

Hardware hackers the iPhone Dev Team claim to have discovered a way to both unlock and jailbreak the new iPhone 3G S. The group said that the so-called '24Kpwn' exploit – originally identified on the iPhone 2G – “is still applicable to the boot Rom of the iPhone 3G S”. The team thinks the exploit is the result of Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fractured Cell
    Megaphone

Go faster

HURRY HURRY HURRY

HURRY

(or you will suffer most painfully)

*Cracks Whip*

2. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Warning - Pedant Ahead

"The iPhone Dev Team hasn’t said how long it’ll take to update ultrasn0w, it's tool for unlocking the iPhone 3G, so sit tight"

Erm, "it's?"

Naughty!

3. handle
    Dead Vulture

While you sit tight

learn the difference between "its" and "it's", please. "It's" is not a possessive, it's an abbreviation of "it is" or "it has".

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Baffling...

that some folk will find this news exciting.

I like my iPhone but the thought of paying £440 or more for a PAYG and then also paying for a contract with another network on top of that (or a hefty PAYG), having to hack it and then re-hack it every few months would be more than enough to dampen my enthusiasm.

Are the other networks really THAT much better than O2 that its worth going through that??

My only real complaint about O2 is their 3g coverage is pretty awful but having had bad experiences in terms of coverage and/or customer services with several of the other networks in the past I don't believe for a minute that they are that much better.

5. Seanie Ryan
    Jobs Halo

corrections

"originally identified on the iPhone 2G "

the 24kpwn was originally identified in the Touch 2g

"The iPhone Dev Team hasn’t said how long it’ll take to update ultrasn0w"

They dont need to it works the same , they have to update redsn0w, the jailbreak app.

come on.. its not that hard to get right...... i know its friday and all, but the pub can wait 5 more minutes

6. Lottie
    Thumb Down

Meh

I think I'll still just wait for the HTC Hero thanks.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now we have the app store...

What's the point in jailbreaking?

8. Andy Watt
    Terminator

Righto!

Nice. I'm finally relenting after being rather reticent to buy an iPhone. I've realised that encumbent mobile manufacturers are struggling with outdated ideas and over-complex legacy platforms to the extent that their offerings aren't going to get any better (you don't want to know about the internals of Series60, it's a bloody mess in there). And finally, the iPhone has cut and paste.

I'm not interested in O2s pathetic coverage and mixed-supplier infrastructure though, I'll be staying vodafone (and getting creamed for it, I know), so it's time to splash out on a PAYG 3Gs I suspect.

I'll watch this space with interest.

(Terminator head, as it's time to say "hasta la vista, baby" to Sony Ericsson after many years of using their stuff)

9. ed2020
    WTF?

@AC

"What's the point in jailbreaking?"

Apps that you want to use rather than apps Apple allows you to use?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Andy Watt

"I'm not interested in O2s pathetic coverage and mixed-supplier infrastructure though, I'll be staying vodafone (and getting creamed for it, I know), so it's time to splash out on a PAYG 3Gs I suspect."

You only get creamed if you lie down and let yourself get creamed - make sure as soon as they make a mistake you're on the phone to them and being reasonable and trying to get them to sort it out... Then mysteriously when it's contract renewal time they'll be trying to retain you like nobody's business. I'm here on an 18 month contract with a SE Xperia X1 (got it around about a month after it came out) at £25 / month with a £5 / month discount on top of that due to previous billing and tariff cock ups!

And before anyone has a go at the phone, it was my choice and I'm still happy with it, even compared to anything else out at the moment.

11. Michael Ross

Larger than I expected...

...or perhaps she's actually very tiny?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like