Feeds

back to article Microsoft cuts off Security Essentials downloads

Redmond has cut off access to its Microsoft Security Essentials beta, less than a day after offering the free security app to John Q. Public on a first-come, first-served basis. "Thank you for your interest in joining the Microsoft Security Essentials Beta," reads a post to the MSE website. "We are not accepting additional …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Unhappy

A nit to pick

The article (and certainly the headline) rather leaves the impression that Microsoft cut off the beta for some unexplained reason, probably a problem. In fact the program reached its 75000 download limit in one day.

Dead Vulture

For the record...

While the Security Essentials site only states US, Israel, Brazil and PRC, the Connect site also includes the UK.

Thumb Up

Yep, UK download worked great

The UK download worked like a charm...even submitting that I was in the UK without a single whine about it.

As for MSE itself, it seems ok...very small, very fast, and very consumer friendly. Need to test it's secuity handling more, but so far its picking up a lot of the test things thrown at it. It has no bells or whistles when it comes to features, but then again does it need any? Definatly worth a good test.

Gates Horns

Wot not Cluley?

Surely universal rentaquote Graham Cluley must have something to say on MS's plan to destroy every home AV supplier's business model?

Anonymous Coward

Hold me I'm scared

The words beta and security appearing so close together make me a little nervous anyway.

Grenade

@ Hold me I'm scared

"The words beta and security appearing so close together make me a little nervous anyway."

let me rephrase that 4 you....

The words micro$haft, beta and security appearing so close together make me a LOT nervous .....

Troll

hmm

That download was available for about the same amount of time it takes a courier to get a nasty letter from a law office to Redmond. Maybe its dll's were making calls to servers they shouldn't have been making calls to.

Silver badge

You gotta have faith

"...while omitting OneCore's backup and firewall tools." (disregarding the spelling mistake)

Would you trust a Microsoft firewall to block what you wanted it to block?

Worth the bandwidth!

74,998 copies in /dev/null :-)

This post has been deleted by a moderator

This topic is closed for new posts.