back to article Kate Moss kills Kills cuts

Spindly, party-hopping Croydon supermodel Kate Moss is in some bother with her bloke, Kills muso Jamie Hince, after allegedly hurling his laptop - replete with new songs - into a swimming pool. The Guardian website happily reported yesterday that Moss flung Hince's bag into the pool during an argument. Hince, whose 2003 debut …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Macintyre

laptop but not hd..

Surely the hd is still salvageable? I've done worse to some of mine and I still managed to recover something off it in usable format, just send the laptop to a local pc recovery centre! as for the crackberry, well you dated mossy....

2. Rob Crawford

Hopeful

that the tracks will not be recovered

However I'm sure she could actually afford to have some proper data recovery people take a look at it (though they probably don't believe in the existence of those dreadful (non artistic) people who have jobs like that)

Where's the cross-hairs icon to show my desire to terminate my share of the useless 20% of the population

3. Cameron Colley

Put the drive in another machine? Data recovery?

I'm surprised that the drive is dead, I would have expected it to start working after being dried out -- I know they have a hole but it's very small. Even if the drive was dead, surely there are companies out there whose job it is to recover data from damaged drives?

4. Lionel Baden 1
    Thumb Up

ill get the data off

for small fee :)

5. Mark 140
    Boffin

"frantic resuscitation attempts"

I assume "frantic resuscitation attempts" involve ripping out the battery and leaving the laptop to dry naturally and not plugging it in and hitting the power button.

Nerd icon for the chap in the data recovery centre that they'll be making a deal with shortly.

6. Craig Roberts 1
    Happy

Hmmm...

I guess she didn't like the new Kills songs then...

... Any chance we can get Ms. Moss access to Robbie Williams' lappy? :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Data recovery

Pretty sure the data could be recovered from this without too much trouble, that is if it isn't an elaborate excuse to explain the non-delivery of the new album...

8. Ian Bremner
    Coat

Silly question

"No word yet on the make of the laptop - but hey, you've got an IT angle, what more do you want?"

Boobies!

Mines the one with the copy of 'Razzle' in the pocket.

9. richard 7
    Paris Hilton

@Ian Bremner

In a Kate Moss story, no chance.

Paris, well, no need to explain

10. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

What more do I want?

For The Kills to die.

11. Craig 12

Frantic was the probably the problem

Leave stuff to dry out before reviving = success

Trying to turn stuff on straight away, possible plugged into mains = fail

12. Ray0x6
    Troll

Crap.

So, this dude's studio recorded directly onto his laptop? Or maybe the engineer wiped the recordings from the studio's disks as soon as they'd finished the session? Uh, no. This is a stupid story about stupid people doing stupid things, and an interesting cross reference may be found here: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17366-how-celebrities-stay-famous-regardless-of-talent.html

The irony is of course, that by commenting on this I am perpetuating some vainglorious loser's stint in the public glare. Bye, now.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big deal

It'll just be some demos on a package like Ableton. Given the lo-fi nature of The Kills music, if they can't recreate those in a couple of days, then I'd be frankly surprised. It's not as though they're known for creating complex samples or synth sounds, which may then have been on the same laptop.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Rob Crawford

You've got the numbers wrong - the useless are not 20%, the useful are.

And am in a very charitable mood today.

15. Arnold Marton

Laptop in the drink?

If, indeed, there is anything critical on the hard drive, I'd think it could be removed, the electronics dried out, and be placed in another computer to copy the files. The hard drive is hermetically sealed and should not be affected by the water.

Worst possible case--the powered-up electronics shorted out in the water. Buy an identical hard drive and switch the components that were damaged.

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

No backups?

FAIL.

(yay for excuse to use the new icons)

Surely a data recovery lab could get most/all data off the drive, although they probably shouldn't.

17. TeeCee Gold badge

The Crackberry too!

I've personally taken a mobile phone for a good long swim (and it was switched on at the start of this). Cursed. Dismantled it. Left the parts to dry out for a couple of days. Reassembled it and had it all work afterwards.

It was soaked enough that I could see the water sloshing about between the screen and its perspex cover at the time. A bit like an iPhone with the beer app running, only more watery and a lot cheaper.

18. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Modern musicians - lame

This couldn't have happened in the 60s because:

a) The recording equipment would have been far too heavy to throw into the swimming pool.

b) There would be no room in the pool because of the Rolls Royce that was in there already.

c) Everyone would be dead from drug overdoses anyway.

19. Andrew Moore
    Pint

Beer...

I need more beer.

20. Coruscating Frenzy
    FAIL

@Evil Graham

"This couldn't have happened in the 60s because ...

...Everyone would be dead from drug overdoses anyway."

Like Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Keith Richard, Grace Slick, Frank Zappa, Roy Harper, Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Pete Townsend, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, etc.?

So, yeah, like THAT all happened.

21. William Towle
    Coffee/keyboard

Ray0x6, new keyboard please

> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17366-how-celebrities-stay-famous-regardless-of-talent.html

Quote: "Take Paris Hilton, somehow or another she became well known and now people are more likely to talk about her," Fast says.

H'yeah. He knows, but he's not saying!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I smell a rat....

....there is NO way Moss could pick up a laptop AND a cackberry at the same time.....

PS who the hell are the Kills? Is it one of those, "I'm married to a rich person, so have to do something to pretend that I'm not spongeing off them?" type bands....

23. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@Coruscating Frenzy

I'm surprised you didn't provide a detailed statistical analysis of recording equipment mass, to prove that some recorders could actually have been hurled by an unassisted supermodel.

Also, an extensive survey of Rolls Royce / swimming pool accident statistics would probably have shown me that it was quite unlikely that the pool was already occupied by a prestige motor car at the time of the alleged tantrum.

I feel such a fool now. Lucky we've got people like you policing the internet eh?

24. Stephen Gray
    Thumb Up

@ Evil Graham Posted Thursday 25th June 2009 12:15

I was just going to say that, its as clear a case of sense of humour bypass as I have ever seen

25. Sigmund Fraud
    WTF?

aha!!

A swimming laptop gathers no moss.....

26. northern monkey
    WTF?

There's something suspicious...

...about that girl's choice in fellas. They're typically way below her weight (metaphorically, obviously!) and musos. She's so just doing them until she gets a solo track on one of their albums. I couldn't have given a flying toss if pete asbo doherty had let her, but it will be over my dead body that she sings on a kills track.

I really cannot see another reason for having slept with the skankbag that is pete doherty! It's like trying to find amy winehouse attractive!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Will they blame it on piratebay?

Bittorrent doesn't kill Music. Kate Moss kills Music!

Kills' Music even.

28. Allan George Dyer
    Black Helicopters

Conspiracy!

Maybe Hince is concerned that a data recovery company might recover and leak whatever else was on the laptop? Look at what happened to Edison Chen!

29. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

new icon test

I for one welcome our new gadget drowning clothes horse overlords.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

@Ray0x6

I doubt very much these were studio recordings, more like Hince working on songs at home on the lappy to then take in to be recorded. Rough and ready ideas, not completed ready to release songs. He should have backed up but we creative types have better things to worry about, you know? This article actually reminded me to turn my Carbonite backup back on- it hadn't updated in about a month. Oops.

He perhaps should have stuck to the old 4 track cassette recorder he first started working on Kills material with- unless Kate Moss carries a bulk eraser around with her he'd have been fine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like