Update: Originally, this article said this was Wikimedia's first European data center. It is not. The not-for-profit's projects have had Euro support in the past. Wikiland is adding a European data center. On Monday, the Wikimedia Foundation - the not-for-profit behind Wikipedia and other Wikiprojects - said it will set up …
Does anyone know...
... if these machines will also be running the server edition of Ubuntu Linux, like the other Wikipedia data centres?
I assume the datacentre is water cooled since it's almost certainly below sea level as it's located between a river and a lake on a "polder" (land reclaimed from the sea).
I guess the risk analysts didn't view this as a problem.
I also wonder how green it is to build this in an urban centre in one of the most densely populated countries in Europe.
regarding the location of the datacenter
Is the data center water proof just in case of a flood?
Otherwise, after an hurrican in florida and a flood in the netherlands shortly after the accumulate knowledge in the wikipedia would be lost.
would not that be horrible? Think of the children ... who use it for school
Well, be maybe it would not be so bad...
black helicopter because sometimes things that look random are intended
Do rivers run uphill to the sea in Holland?
How else can it be next to a river AND below sea level?
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking Crescent Bay prototype
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln
- Google+ GOING, GOING ... ? Newbie Gmailers no longer forced into mandatory ID slurp