back to article Mitsubishi slashes iMiEV's price

Mitsubishi has announced plans to slash the price of its e-cars by 50 per cent over the next six years. Although the iMiEV is currently Mitsubishi’s only e-car in production, the firm’s President, Osamu Masuko, has promised that the leccy car’s price will drop from its current cost of ¥4.59m (£29,100/$47,800/&Euro;34,400) to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Bad Marketing?

Telling somebody you're going to cut the price of something by 50% in future is surely not a good way to get them to buy something now.

Furthermore it seems doubly ridiculous to point out that these price cuts are down to projected economies of scale. You may as well tell potential buyers that "if you're stupid enough to pay top dollar now that will mean that future customers will be able to get them much cheaper".

Does anybody really thing that batteries are the way forward? Surely some sort of fuel cell (not necessarilly hydrogen) makes more sense.

2. dracotrapnet
    Paris Hilton

Wow can you say stupid?

Wow, stupid announcment. Doom and failure. If people hear new kit is going to be twice the price the first 6 years they will ignore it till the price comes down. Meanwhile the seller will fail to meet ROI due to lost sales.

Paris, cuz they have no clue.

3. Thomas Whipp

ultracapacitors?

to be honest my money is on advances in ultra capacitor design - as far as I can see the raw materials are extremely cheap (carbon), they charge/discharge extremely rapidly and they can be made in very thin form factors. The only thing holding them back is power density at present, which from my (massively uninformed) position doesn't seem that different to basic battery problems.

The main thing I like about ultra-capacitors is that I can imagine production being very cheap once the processes has been worked on and at the extreme I can imaging every body pannel being both structural and a storage cell at the same time.

whats not to like?

This topic is closed for new posts.