back to article Sun's top brass get golden parachutes...

As top Sun execs get ready to deploy their golden parachutes as Oracle prepares to devour the company for a mere $5.6bn in July, someone is about to make a killing on T-shirts. Paul Humphreys has reminded everyone in his blog at Sun about Network, a faithful hound who got things for you when you needed them and who was for a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank Bough
    Black Helicopters

Surely...

...a parachute made of gold would be spectacularly inefficient?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

soft toy

Forget the T shirt I had/have a Network the dog soft toy...

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

@Frank Bough

Ssssh! Don't give the game away.

Larry's hoping to save a shitload in layoff payments and pension liabilities by holding a corporate skydiving event....

4. Snark
    Dead Vulture

@Frank Bough

Spectacularly inefficient? Ummm you mean like Sun's top brass have been for awhile...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Gold leaf

Have you see gold leaf floating on the flimsiest of thermals? A parachute make of "thick" gold leaf may well be perfectly serviceable and pretty to boot.

I want one of those T-shirts ...

6. vincent himpe

Like the walker brothers sang ...

The sun ain't gonna boot anymore.

The data is now a disk in the cloud.

Oracle is now clouding your eyes.

When you're without sparc ...

7. vincent himpe

Like the walker brothers sang ...(alternate version)

Oracle is now clouding your eye

could also be

MySQL is gonna die ...

8. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

Golden parachute...?

Well if Mythbusters can make a Lead Balloon...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Perhaps if you'd actually listened.....

you'd realise it wasn't "the network is a dog" but "network everything - even the dog" which became "network the dog"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Nice Article

This is like saying that politicians are very honest... Of course the top brass will get a golden parachute. Duh... What's the point of this article?

11. James Woods

r.i.p sun

I love watching these old big dogs fall. The execs run off with cash and the employees are left running for whatever they can fall into, the real american way.

If only Sun would outsource, or outsource more (sorry don't own any sun equipment) then perhaps the company would of been more viable.

byebye

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Re: r.i.p sun

Define "viable". Sun's annual reports for 2008 (http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/investor/annual_reports/sun_ar08.pdf) show net income for 2008 of $403m on sales of $13b. That's a damn site more viable than SGI which is still an independent company. The USA has a very short sighted view of companies; no company can grow qtr on qtr for ever. Its mathematically impossible.

13. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Re: Re: r.i.p sun

"...more viable than SGI which is still an independent company." Do you mean the original SGI, or Rackable Systems, that bought SGI and then changed it's name to SGI?

If it's the latter, then I might agree with you, but if it's the aforementioned, then huh?

14. Charles Manning

re: Re: r.i.p sun

"no company can grow qtr on qtr for ever". Wall St doesn't deal in single companies, or enven the whole industry for that matter. Tech companies are just cannon fodder for the Wall St machine. Suck out the juice and spit out the pips.

Watch how companies like Intel act so irrationally: buying a company one year then selling it off at a huge loss the next, expanding into a new area one year, then shedding and "focusing on core competence" the next. Outsourcing one year, then closing offshore factories the next.

These companies don't act this way because the CEO has ADD. No, they're responding to the latest Wall St fashion trends. If you don't, for example, outsource when it is all the buzz on Wall St then you're going to get slaughtered at the next shareholders' meeting regardless of whether the strategy makes sense for your company or not. It keeps your stock trendy.

15. Pony Tail

Sun waved the white flag of defeat....

...the exec's got their payola and said screw the shareholders.....

maybe Solaris will survive but SPARC is surely dead. Larry don't give no shits about saving SPARC chips...especially since they are now fujitsu technology

...lady gaga

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like